1.    #1  
    Call me paranoid.

I've just spend the afternoon trying to select an email client that works well. TreoMail -- I'm sad to say, was to slow. Messages were just never delivered to my phone. I run the server, so I can see the new messages sitting there. Did a sync -- nothing.

My next step was Eudora. Unfortunately, I could not get it to attach to my account. Somthing about an invalid security certificate. This got me suspicous (sp?). Some place in Florida.

Then I tried SnapperMail. It worked fine.

By now I've typed my email password into many applications. I wonder where this has ended up. What's stopping these application vendors from using this information an hi-jacking my email account?

I'm certainly not capable of detecting this behavior, but I've heard storys about what "Kaazaa" does to you PC. How do we know we're safe with Snapper Mail, other any other client for that matter.

CHeers
    In Snappermail's case, it is a client only so your login and password aren't going anywhere other than to your mail server. Who knows about those clients that use a proxy server (TreoMail, Basejet, 2bA, etc.). Obviously, should this happen, it would probably drive the offender out of business in time. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are than concerned, change your login and password after your try an e-mail client.
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    In Snappermail's case, it is a client only so your login and password aren't going anywhere other than to your mail server. Who knows about those clients that use a proxy server (TreoMail, Basejet, 2bA, etc.). Obviously, should this happen, it would probably drive the offender out of business in time. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are than concerned, change your login and password after your try an e-mail client.
    I know for sure that Basejet encrypts everything that goes over the "air" - including your user name and password, hence the Hotsync needed before a wireless sync to exchange security keys. For standalone mode, security keys are exchanged through a wireless sync before anything is transferred. For a paranoid corporate user like myself, this is a must have when I send/receive email through our Exchange server. Even with the encryption, mail comes in faster than Treo Mail, Eudora, or Snappermail. I've been communicating with the Basejet guys and they have some very nice improvements coming.
    When you use SnapperMail, your Treo is talking directly to your ISP. There's no code in SnapperMail to report back, there's no need to talk to the SnapperMail domain. We see nothing. SnapperMail is an email tool, unlike TreoMail and proxy systems which are an email service... all of these guys need your info upfront in order to access your mail.

In any regard, you are free to put a packet sniffer onto the Treo and test it out to make sure :-)

APOP and CRAM-MD5 support will come out in probably 1.6 which will protect your password.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by tuance

<snip>

I've been communicating with the Basejet guys and they have some very nice improvements coming.
    After over a year of beta testing, I should certainly hope so.
    I am in day 14 of the 15 day trial. Snappermail working great! Just purchased the full version, downloaded and unzipped it and scheduled it for my next hotsync. Question if anyone can help with this.......
    Before I hotsync, is it necessary to REMOVE the existing snappermail application? I would imagine writing over the files would be OK, but I hesitated because I did not want to have two applications out there on my Treo..... Just paranoia I guess.... would appreciate any help.... thanks.
    Will,

I see you mention version 1.6, when will we see version 1.5?
    Originally posted by GEMicher
    Will,

I see you mention version 1.6, when will we see version 1.5?
    This has been posted on the Snappermail forum on Yahoo. I can't remember the exact date for 1.5, sometime close to the end of the month.
    Don't need to uninstall the trial version, just install the full version. All of your existing messages, configuration, etc. will be preserved.

- Rich

Originally posted by jazzman
    I am in day 14 of the 15 day trial. Snappermail working great! Just purchased the full version, downloaded and unzipped it and scheduled it for my next hotsync. Question if anyone can help with this.......
    Before I hotsync, is it necessary to REMOVE the existing snappermail application? I would imagine writing over the files would be OK, but I hesitated because I did not want to have two applications out there on my Treo..... Just paranoia I guess.... would appreciate any help.... thanks.