1.    #1  
    One of the things I'd love to be able to do with my Treo 180 is access my online banking account. However, whenever I try to log into it, it says that my browser is not supported since it doesn't have 128 bit encryption. I'm using Blazer.

Anyone know of a way around this? Are any of the other browsers for Treo 128 bit encrypted?

Also, any security concerns I should be aware of?
    Hi,

Kevin from Handspring here. Blazer 2.0 does have 128 bit encryption, but some commercial sites have other requirements, such as JavaScript, for you to be able to access them. You might check with your bank to find out if they have a special site for mobile access. More info here:

What secure websites can I access with Blazer?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=31386

Good luck,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Originally posted by glamdring71
    One of the things I'd love to be able to do with my Treo 180 is access my online banking account. However, whenever I try to log into it, it says that my browser is not supported since it doesn't have 128 bit encryption. I'm using Blazer.

Anyone know of a way around this? Are any of the other browsers for Treo 128 bit encrypted?

Also, any security concerns I should be aware of?
    I was in the same frustrating situation with Blazer.
    "Your Internet Browser unfortunately does not fulfill the security requirements for Swiss e-Banking"
    The message I used to receive when trying to connect to my Bank via Blazer.

I have E-Banking and have spoken to my bank in Switzerland who say that "the Treo browser software is not supported because it does not feature 128bit encryption". I asked how they know this and I was told it was tested and that the Elliptical Curve Encryption used in Blazer was cracked and that Blazer seems more like 108Bit (eh?). I was told to try another software product.

Which begs the questions, how do we actually know if Blazer is 'true' 128bit encryption and how safe is it?

I now use Xiino and it is 128bit encryption and my e-Banking now works a treat. Xiino also handles Javascript which Blazer fails miserably at. Also, Blazer's annoying habit of scrolling via JogDial to each picture or field in a page - really bugged me! Xiino simply scrolls a page at a time (like Blazer used to do).

What Blazer has going for it is page layout management, which Xiino is not so crack-hot at. Xiino is also a large app at 530k but Blazer is not exactly trim at 377k

If I had the space, I would probably keep both... Xiino for security and Blazer for general surfing.

Anyone know if I can safely delete Blazer to free up some space?
    Well I wouldn't trust either and if I was the bank, I'd shut both these browsers out...

The reason?

They both go thru a proxy - there's a middleman involved and that middleman may be a untrustworthy link.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    Well I wouldn't trust either and if I was the bank, I'd shut both these browsers out...

The reason?

They both go thru a proxy - there's a middleman involved and that middleman may be a untrustworthy link.

-W
    Kia Ora Will

What about WAP? Most Swiss banks allow banking via WAP. Is there a middle man involved there too? Dunno. Can you suggest an alternative?

Oh, Geees, I hope my adopted home doesn't win the 'Americas' Cup - never hear the end of it - I mean, land-locked Switzerland the holders of sailings biggest prize?!
    Did you check out any of the Loius Vuitton? Alinghi did all right aye? Team NZ rocks tho... hope they win.
    I suspect (but can not confirm either way) that Blazer's connection to the proxy is encrypted at all times. So the banks can't complain about that part of the security if that is the case.

And last time I checked, elliptic curve encryption was pretty much uncracked, even at an equivalent of 108 bits. Not that I know if Blazer uses it.
    OK, lets look at what happens...

1. Treo Blazer client logs into into the banking web site and sends the banking user/pass....

2. The user/pass passes to the Blazer server which decrypts it.

<wooopeee! this is where your login is open for any Blazer staff member to get at>

3. The Blazer server then sends the logins to the Bank's web site under a normal SSL HTTPS connection.

The other point of vulnerability is from hackers that attack the Blazer server to snoop momentarily decrypted traffic.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by snapperfish

<wooopeee! this is where your login is open for any Blazer staff member to get at>

-W
    Hi Will

I'm in Switzerland and it is the safest (and most secretive) banking in the world. About 50% of the worlds private money is here (2 trillion dollars and change) - albeit, not all of it 'clean'.

My account is unhackable - whether I'm using Balzer or not... this is not a bar challenge for you to try and prove me wrong tho mate
    Last edited by nzmoko; 01/24/2003 at 06:37 AM.