Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Scroll down for a more consise read of what Treo Print does -moderator after merging the two threads

Based on Sprint expanding coverage in Northern Michigan in December 2002 where we have a seasonal home, I bought a Treo 300 from Amazon on Dec 21st. Price was $299 after rebates. I was not sure how the Sprint coverage was going to be so I bought the $30/300 anytime plan with free unlimited data (the 3G vision).

The Treo was immediately a huge hit both for what came already installed on it and for what I soon added to it. Having a Palm OS device with a phone built in really is a huge win. Managing information VIA PDA functions is as good as ever (datebook, contact list are the staples for me) but the phone and keyboard allows you to use that information directly from the device, not from a sep phone or computer. You look up a contact and press a button and it dials. You write an email, look up an address and it emails. It is awesome and in the "never go back once you have it" category.

I found myself using email (Snappermail and Eudora) as the most frequent data application on a daily basis. I can check and send email day or night, no matter where I am or what I am doing. It downloads in less than a minute even if I have 8 - 10 messages coming. Uploads are equally fast. Blazer is second. It was nice going to a basketball game and looking up the hockey scores in real time. If you hand the unit to a sports freak, you will not get it back anytime soon thanks to ESPN wireless and Sprint/Treo. It's that easy to use, that fast, that immediately useful.

This is no news but 'Cell plan tracker' is a nice app and allows you to track cell minutes more easily than a regular cell phone can. A look at my useage on the Sprintpcs site confirms that the cell tracker and the Sprint tally are within 2 minutes of each other after 3 weeks of use. 'Battery Info' keeps tabs on the Treo's battery - which has yet to be a limiting factor for me even with heavy use (I have a charger in car and house).

Beyond phone and data apps that everybody normally uses Treo for, I had some additional goals for Treo. I noticed early on that there seemed to be no print capability from PALM PDA devices. I looked for software and did not see much. So, I wrote a little piece of software that runs on my home computer (attached to the internet VIA Comcast cable internet and a wireless WIFI router/firewall) which allows Treo to send print jobs to my home computer VIA the public Internet much like an email message with a file attached.

The software I wrote then takes the incoming data, formats it in the background using MS Word and prints it. I can now print any email or other data on the Treo with a quick few button hits. The print jobs look nice, printing is fast, and I can print from anywhere Sprint's data network covers. I call it TreoPrint and I may release it if anyone else has interest in it.

Another thing I wanted was to be able to use the Internet on my laptop while using the Treo as a wireless modem. I found an app appropriately called 'WirelessModem' and downloaded the demo. I just had to follow the instructions and in less than 20 minutes I was up and running with the Treo providing internet access to my laptop VIA Sprint's network. Connection speeds seem to bottom at 19.6 kBs and go up from there. At it's fastest, it's faster than what you can see on the best dialup. This message was sent with me accessing the internet on my laptop VIA Treo while riding in my car (FYI -- I'm in the passenger seat). Wireless modem connects to the Treo VIA infrared, or several cable setups. I'm using the IR but the cable is probably a better route.

The capabilities of Treo as a platform with Sprint networking is far beyond what I expected but what gets me the most interested in the future is how the flexibility of Treo easily allows you to extended and integrate the Treo platform into other activities. My hierarchy of digital tools always had the PDA at the bottom, followed by the cell phone and then the laptop at the top. Now, Treo, with its cell phone capability coupled to a PDA ++ its subset of laptop capabilities (email, web), makes it the most important and most used digital device I own by far. It opens up new work possibilities in a number of ways.

Posting VIA Treo wireless modem,

Surface Cruncher
    surfacecruncher@hotmail.com
    http://soltrum.com
    I'd be interested in trying out TreoPrint. It sounds like a great utility!
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, TreoPrint is pretty .

If I get enough interest in it, I will write up docs and release it. If you'd like to have the beta, send me an email at:

If I get 50 requests, I'll do the docs and release it.

Surface Cruncher
  4.    #4  
    Hi, My first post on TreoPrint had a lot of fluff in it. Here is the core of it:

Beyond phone and data apps that everybody normally uses, I had some additional goals for Treo. I noticed early on that there seemed to be no print capability from PALM PDA devices. I looked for software and did not see much. So, I wrote a little piece of software that runs on my home computer (attached to the internet VIA Comcast cable internet and a wireless WIFI router/firewall) which allows Treo to send print jobs to my home computer VIA the public Internet much like an email message with a file attached.

The software I wrote then takes the incoming data, formats it in the background using MS Word and prints it. I can now print any email or other data on the Treo with a quick few button hits. The print jobs look nice, printing is fast, and I can print from anywhere Sprint's data network covers. I call it TreoPrint and I may release it if anyone else has interest in it.

If you'd like a beta, send me an email at:

If I get 50 requests, I will document the tool and make it available in beta form.

Surface Cruncher
    http://soltrum.com
    That sounds really cool. I don't need it, but it sounds cool!
    Agreed, sounds like a pretty neat tool. Not too sure if I'd really want the need to print from my Treo though. Trying to think of a circumstance where I'd want to print from my Treo. Since the printer is connected to my home PC anyway I'd have to be there to pick the print up. Therefore, I'd probably just print straight from my PC.
    SC - I sent you an email.

I'd like to try it but I'm not sure how I would really use it.

A reason to use it:
    I suppose that it could be used to print an email that I pulled off my work server while out and about. When I got home, it would be sitting on the printer.

Another reason to use it:
    Because you can!
    Treo Print seems great actually, really great. Let me in on this beta One thing however -Palm OS has many print optiosn available, abit all through IR or Serial port - nobody to my knowledge has had an innovative idea like this

InPrint by the Instep Group is my favorite printing program. Bachmann Software makes PrintBoy, which is another very popular program. Both of these are a bit more complex on the Palm OS side, as they all have to locally render and rasterize the data.

This however also seems faster than dealing with IR - and better for any network enviroment. I'll post something on the front to get more people to see it and perhaps encourage you to release it

I could see this as helpful for me in a huge way- I could be typing my notes in class, and when im done typing press print and have the document waiting for me at home. No having to deal with things at two seperate times - I like this!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I'll be very interested to see if it will work running on my office desktop computer, allowing me to print to my office printer. An ability to run the desktop client on BOTH my home and office computers, with the option to choose one or the other from my Treo would be, and I hate to use this word, awesome.

Geoffrey
    i sent you an email...i can think of some useful ways of usinfg tjis app being that I am on the road most of the time..would be great to have hard copies of docs..and email when I get home...
    In my opinion, the ability to print emails and attachments to a fax machine is a much more useful feature. services such as Metamessage (www.metamessage.com) allow you to forward an email and attachment to any fax machine, where it is printed. This is better thanprinting to a network printer, as you have the ability to print to any fax, not just printers attached to your PC's network. Am I missing something here?
  12.    #12  
    I've gotten loads of email on TreoPrint! It's great to see all the interest in it. Since we all easily surpassed the 50 email target less than 24 hours after TreoPrint was announced, I'll now be shoring up the documentation for it so users can have an easy time of install and configure for various network environments. I'll also be documenting the feature set so you can all have an easy time of testing the product and seeing what it can do.

Just to be clear from some of the emails I have gotten, TreoPrint will work with any PDA (or computer) that can make a network connection. The PC that is accepting the print job and doing the printing needs to be a windows PC and it needs to be on the network also. I use it with my Treo 300 which can connect VIA Sprint to the public internet and then to a PC at my house which is on Comcast cable. 802.11/WIFI and dialup will also work but I have not tested these types of connectivity.

So why is it called TreoPrint if it works with any PDA or computer? Because I expect most of the people to use it will be like me: Treo owners.

Thanks,

Surface Cruncher
    http://soltrum.com/
    Last edited by surfacecruncher; 01/16/2003 at 01:36 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Folks, I just completed the TreoPrint beta software and User Manual. You can find it here:

http://www.soltrum.com/products/

On the page above scroll to the bottom and follow the TreoPrint link. Once you get the software, pretty much everything you need to get set up and running is in the User Manual.

If you sent me email, you will be getting an email from me shortly.

If you have suggestions for the software, please send email to:

info@soltrum.com

Thanks,

Surface Cruncher
    http://soltrum.com/
    Last edited by surfacecruncher; 02/05/2003 at 01:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for doing this.

I could not get snappermail to connect to the account I set per your instructions. I am positive I have the right IP number in the smtp server.

I did install and run treoprint.exe and zonealarm did pick up the outgoing messsage.

Am I missing something obvious?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  15.    #15  
    I noticed on Zone Alarm that I have to kill TreoPrint after the first time you allow the connection on Zone Alarm.

Also, be sure on Snapper Mail is connecting to the IP number on the correct port. To do this, go into the SnapperMail account setup to click on the "Server" tab of the "Edit Account" window. Once there click on the "More" tab. This will allow you to edit the port number.

The correct port number is printed to screen when you start TreoPrint. It is configured by editing the 'treoprint_config.txt' file and restarting TreoPrint.

Paul (aka Surface Cruncher)
    i set the program up correctly and am using eudora to test. it connects to the desktop running treoprint but during the exchange it shuts the program down on the desktop. any ideas
  17.    #17  
    To debug it start a command prompt window in Windows. Then change directories into the directory containing 'treoprint.exe'. Once there, type 'treoprint' to launch the program.

You will then be able to see the program's debug message on program exit.

Please send the result to the following address if you'd like more help:

Thanks,

Paul
  18.    #18  
    I was able to reproduce the problem teevah1 describes above. It's a problem with my compiler not seeing a library that it needs.

There is a new download at:

http://www.soltrum.com/products/treoprint.php

This download was updated this afternoon at 4:45pm and I think it will work for Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP but it is only tested on Windows 2000 at this time.

Paul
    Last edited by surfacecruncher; 02/06/2003 at 10:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by surfacecruncher
    I was able to reproduce the problem teevah1 describes above. It's a problem with my compiler not seeing a library that it needs.

There is a new download at:

http://www.soltrum.com/products/treoprint.php

This download was updated this afternoon at 4:45pm and I think it will work for Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP but it is only tested on Windows 2000 at this time.

Paul
    I dl'd the new version. Now I can connect, the TreoPrint dos window displays something too fast to read and then shuts down. Nothing prints. Hmmmm

Any suggestions?
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  20.    #20  
    Folks, I think the printing method I am using in TreoPrint is just not portable from Windows version to Windows version. I notice that everybody is able to connect but the program dies when it tries to print. I will modify printing to use an alternative method and get a new version of TreoPrint out over the weekend.

Paul
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast