Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bassman97
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    a college of mine asked me to recovery used Palm Tungsten E2.
    the device has a software installed called “Theo - Mobile Führerscheintrainer” (www.deedac.de)

The software launches in full screen mode and can not be closed.
    Hard Reset has no effect.
    How can I install the original Palm OS 5.4.7 Garnet
    What? A Hard Reset has no effect? Are you sure you are doing a Hard Reset Correctly?

So this app is causing problems?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I used this article to Reset the Tungsten.

Palm Support : Palm Tungsten E2 - Hard Reset

It look that the reseted goes OK. It asked "delete all data".
    But the Software is launched again. I belief the Software is installed in the ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highfly37 View Post
    I used this article to Reset the Tungsten.

Palm Support : Palm Tungsten E2 - Hard Reset

It look that the reseted goes OK. It asked "delete all data".
    But the Software is launched again. I belief the Software is installed in the ROM.
    Try a clean restart (reset while holding up on the 5-way). Once it starts, delete the app.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    that makes no difference. The Software is still launched.
    Any idea how to reinstall Palm OS?
    Then try doing a hard reset. Unless the previous owner reflashed the ROM (which is impossible with many of the later ones), the app isn't in ROM. To me, it sounds like you aren't doing it right. There's only 2 ways to reinstall POS: hard restart or by an update (check Palm's site). Also, when you warm reset, hold up, hit reset button, and don't let go until you see the launcher. You can also see if a HotSync will quit out of the app.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Unless the Informetion on Palm Support : Palm Tungsten E2 - Hard Reset are wrong, I am almost certain I did a Hard Reset.

(Pressed and hold Power, pressed the reset pin on the back and released power when the grey circular Palm Powered logo is seen.

The Tungsten is sold with this Software Preinstalled. It is a mobile driver's license trainer.

Any Tips what to do?
    Make sure you release it after you see the progress bar (there should be a 1st logo with a progress bar and then a 2nd logo appears, release at the 2nd one). I'd also say try the warm reset again (tricky to do right).
    I have been having similar issues with a palm Centro phone. Where items remain after a hard reset, even multiple ones I am assuming it is some sort of corruption with NVFS.

I am unsure how to remedy the situation, other than the phone has literally behaved differently over a period of time, by me assuming it bricked, and coming back to it over a few months. It currently works ok most of the time before automatically jumping into its hotsync screen randomly, which is a huge step up from it going black screen a couple of months back.

I am still working on it, and the phone it was supposed to replace, which recently had the keyboard die after recieving a text. It has worked twice since, and works for single button press functions before becoming useless till the device powers off. I have reflashed the Rom a while back, but not sure if I can get the functionality to do it again.

Can you get it to do anything at all but boot into the software you speak of?

I am assuming it is nonfunctional as well, but if not you could try seeing if it has a shutdown function in its internal menu.

You might also try inserting/removing an sd card.

Otherwise try discharging it, and of course patience.

Though admitedly I am considering ordering a new one from ebay on the centro.

fortunately these things can sometimes be had extremely cheap from craigslist as well.

If I hadnt seen the centro flash a screen from a long deleted app after being hard reset multiple times I wouldnt have believed it myself, but I am forced into believing there is some sort of corruption in NVFS that has very little to no mention, before palm abandoned the OS.