View Poll Results: Are you still using your original shipment Treo 270?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am still using it

56 65.88%
  • No, I have already replaced it

29 34.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    And how long did it take you before it happened? Was it a show stopper?
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    And how long did it take you before it happened? Was it a show stopper?
    My first Treo 270 lasted month before the speaker died and I had to replace it. The replacement had a bad radio and so did the replacement for the replacement. Handspring finally sent a working model and it has been running just fine ever since.
    I've had my original T270 since early June 2002.
    I know I'm gonna jinx it now, but I'm still on my first 270. Was one of the first to get it.

I haven't done the gprs update either.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I still have my original Treo 270 since it just came out. No problem what so ever and it works beautiful. BTW, I did not upgrade to GPRS yet, I am waiting till Cingular is ready.
    The first one had the phone and backlight die. The replacement when it arrived worked fine until I wanted to upgrade it to GPRS which it wouldn't. Neither would the replacement they sent me to solve the problem. When the GRRS upgraded ones came into stock they sent me another replacement which was DoA and that has just been replaced with a working GPRS enabled phone.

So I guess I am on my 5th one now. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Not to discourage anyone, but I am actually on my third one at present.

The first had a speaker phone that did not work + the backlight problem.

The second one mysteriously had colored stripes appear, which support claimed it was because it was screwed together too tight (?!??!?).

I am now on my third, and fingers are crossed. I love the device. If not I would have given up a long time ago, especially since I experienced huge problems with TNT who prepaid customs duty, and have a messy internal accounting system and never tracked that I returned one unit. Subsequently it resulted in 10-20 calls to TNT, letters, faxes, false bills, etc. They were really horrible! I pray nobody else has had to go through this.

JT
    Originally posted by Tony_Raven
    So I guess I am on my 5th one now. Keep your fingers crossed.
    From what I see, it seems that five replacements is an average, as I had to replace my Treo 270 five times before I got one trouble-free (fingers crossed) and two friends of mine replaced theirs also five times.
    Another friend is only at its third.
    But it started later: about a month ago!
    I had the wonderful experience with TNT when they picked up one unit for return. "Has it got a battery" "Yes" "You'll have to take it out, we can't accept anything with batteries in" "It's built in, I can't take it out", "Well we can't accept it then"

He eventually caved in when I suggested he ensured TNT contacted Handspring and told them it couldn't accept their business.
    Originally posted by dennis3232

From what I see, it seems that five replacements is an average, as I had to replace my Treo 270 five times before I got one trouble-free (fingers crossed) and two friends of mine replaced theirs also five times.
    Another friend is only at its third.
    But it started later: about a month ago!
    How can you say that 5 replacements is the average when 73.68% of the people responding to this poll said they are still using the first 270?

I haven't had to replace my 270. However, I had to replace my 180 3 times because of a squeaking keyboard problem before they got it right.
    Originally posted by silverado

How can you say that 5 replacements is the average when 73.68% of the people responding to this poll said they are still using the first 270?
    That was a joke!
    Nevertheless, remember that this poll has no scientific value whatsoever!
    It doesn't reflect the reality.
    I was talking only from my own experience, where five replacements seems to be the norm (BTW, the friend who was at his 3rd just got his 4th. Getting there!).

Now I would be very interested to get the actual Handspring replacement statistics...
    My 1st had a bum speaker and this problem where this signal would die than just pop back to full again. I never had that prob with any dedicated handheld phone with Omnipoint/voicestream/tmoble before. Then the new one arrived with a bad digitizer. The 3rd on sees to be a charm. Then again I did pull it out of my pocket last night and it was rebooting....
    You might be interested in this. I did this way back when, when we were just discovering how problematic the unit was. I had a 180g and 270 and couldnt believe I was the only 1 that experienced problems woth both units so tried to find out. A lot of people were in denial back then Old Poll

Im waiting on a replacement as we speak. How many you ask? Ive lost count. I had to return 2 of the so called replacements because they were in worse shape that what I was trying to replace. I only hope their quality control has tremendously improved, I am praying to the gods. And for $770 bucks this shouldnt be as much as a hit or miss as it is but dont get me started.

Great idea of a product but that is about where it stops.
  14.    #14  
    It appears that for TreoCentral members, 1/4 of people who bought Treo 270s turned out to be defective products. A good but not high enough number of people, 75% are with their original units still.

Can you tell from the box or unit what batch those good ones came from or which batch the bad ones came from? whether the bad ones were from an earlier batch and the better ones with a latter batch?
    Maybe the newer ones are better... I've had mine for a few weeks now... still early days, but it works brilliantly. I love it!!!
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    It appears that for TreoCentral members, 1/4 of people who bought Treo 270s turned out to be defective products. A good but not high enough number of people, 75% are with their original units still.
    And I think that it is safe to say that the users of this bboard probably represent a pickier set of users that the average Treo user and we probably use far more applications/hacks/etc than others. Both of these factors can lead to more problems and replacements. So maybe the user experience isn't as bad as we think.

On thing this poll doesn't measure, however, is how many units were replaced by the respondents. This could give us a view of the average number of replacements/TC user that HS is having to deal with.

I am on my first Treo 270 and still happy with it. However, I replaced my earlier 180 3 times.
    On my Treo 270 after 7 months of use.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    I have had my treo 270 since last August and have had no problems with it.
    morris stalk
    Treo 270 owner since June 2002. No problems, no complaints. Used GPRS before official release, no problems and no complaints. It's all good for me!

Treo rules!
  20.    #20  
    After 2 weeks enjoying the Treo 270, mine acquired a colored stain (orange) that appeared to be inside the touchscreen. Initially, it appeared insignificant but has spread over 2 weeks. Since they don't open them and clean them up, I went to the dealer and in 2 hours I got a new Treo 270, with all my data intact, all apps intact, PLUS they have upgraded it with GPRS patch. The programs look a lot better and the new unit seemed to be much brighter than the first one, and I like the speakerphone button appearing while contacting the person to call to.

A lot happier this time around! Blessing in disguise I might say.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast