Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hi,

Does anyone know the quickest way to re-connect the data service after it has idle timed-out after the 2 hours? I usually reboot the whole wireless service (since I have data to connect whenever phone service does), but its a real pain. I know you can go through Prefs App and reconnect that way, but it too, is a cumbersome process (yet it is quicker than a reboot, I can do a reboot without taking out the stylus).

Is there any shortcut that I could be missing, or perhaps an app that will accomplish this quickly?

Thanks for any help,

Glenn
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'm confused about what you mean when you say "reboot". Do you mean a soft reset? If so, you are really taking the long way around. You should be able to restart the connection by simply entering an app that requires a data connection like Blazer, BCS, VeriChat, etc. When you start one of those apps and they discover now dat connection, they will restart it (although VeriChat sometimes takes a couple tries which is an acknowledged bug).

TL
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick response. When I say "reboot," I mean power-cycling the phone (i.e. holding power button on top for a couple seconds). Not a soft reset. Sorry for the confusion.

Blazer, as you said is good at re-connecting data. However, Snappermail sometimes will attemp to fetch or send without reconnecting. Then, I have to wait for it to do its thing (realize that its not gonna connect b/c data shut off), then reboot, or go into Prefs and manually connect.
    There has got to be a better way. No?

Thanks,
    Glenn
  4. lrk
    The problem for me is that I can't tell whether or not the data connection is on until Blazer has tried a couple of times to get new data. The "timeout" is completely unpredictable (this morning it was ON after an entire night of idle). It's frustrating to go through several connection attempt cycles only to learn that I'm not connected. The "solution" of doing something to insure the need for new data just to check whether or not I'm connected seems whacky, especially given that the disconnect is unpredictable..
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by glenng
    Thanks for the quick response. When I say "reboot," I mean power-cycling the phone (i.e. holding power button on top for a couple seconds). Not a soft reset. Sorry for the confusion.

Blazer, as you said is good at re-connecting data. However, Snappermail sometimes will attemp to fetch or send without reconnecting. Then, I have to wait for it to do its thing (realize that its not gonna connect b/c data shut off), then reboot, or go into Prefs and manually connect.
    There has got to be a better way. No?

Thanks,
    Glenn
    When you apps disconnect from the internet it does not shut off your phones wireless phone connection. It only shuts down the pcsinternet connection. So you should not have to reconnect after blazer or snappermail disconnects from the net.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by lrk
    The problem for me is that I can't tell whether or not the data connection is on until Blazer has tried a couple of times to get new data. The "timeout" is completely unpredictable (this morning it was ON after an entire night of idle). It's frustrating to go through several connection attempt cycles only to learn that I'm not connected. The "solution" of doing something to insure the need for new data just to check whether or not I'm connected seems whacky, especially given that the disconnect is unpredictable..
    I suppose, but do you really need to have your data connection on all the time? After a couple of hours it will shut down by default w/o use.

Some e-mail progrmas like snappermail will open up the connection autumatically to check for e-mail. I noticed upirc will keep the connection on forever while I leave the phone in a cradle and the phone will stay on the entire time. (Which is cool.)
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  7. lrk
    Thanks, Utey. And, no, I don't need to be connected all the time. My only problem is that I can't tell whether or not I'm connected until I've spent a couple fruitless minutes trying to download data. If I knew the data connection was "off," I could easily reconnect whenever I needed it.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by lrk
    Thanks, Utey. And, no, I don't need to be connected all the time. My only problem is that I can't tell whether or not I'm connected until I've spent a couple fruitless minutes trying to download data. If I knew the data connection was "off," I could easily reconnect whenever I needed it.
    Do you use blazer? It is either going to ask to connect or it you will see the progress as it goes. I am not sure I understand the problem you are having.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    I've read a couple of places lately here where folks have mentioned that the network should do an auto-disconnect after 2 hours or so of no active data use. I don't think that's the case everywhere (or anywhere, maybe) - while traveling last week in Vegas and San Diego (from Dallas), my data connection stayed on virtually all day, all the time. Here in Dallas, and as it's been doing since just before Thanksgiving, my data will drop all the time. I guess I'm saying I don't <think> there's a two hour inactivity drop thing. Not based on my experience, anyway.
    What aggravates me about this problem is that it isn't necessarily after two hours of idle (it's happened to me a few seconds after a live connection was in use), and the worst part is that the gray bars are in place (leading you to believe that a connection is in place and causing you to wait for a timeout message) and many data applications simply cannot determine that the connection is not actually live. Sometimes switching quickly to a phone screen and back to Blazer or Snappermail will solve the problem, but I haven't found a reliable quicker fix than the original poster on this thread.