1.    #1  
    Hi All...Happy New Year!

I've just entered the 21st century, left the old paper & pen and purchased my first handheld. I went for a Treo 90, cute, color and doesn't seem complicated + couldn't pass up a good deal $199.

I've logged on to many a sites offering softwares to feel things out, was primarily looking for freeware until I figure what I need then I can purchase. And all I seem to come across is Hack...what is it?

Also can anyone share with me what types of softwaresí you use and like best? What seems to work best with the Treo 90, is there anything extra I need in order for it to run well? And some good sites you recommend to download software.

Thanks
    Originally posted by lpmaya
    And all I seem to come across is Hack...what is it?
    From a user's perspective, a hack changes or adds some behavior. Most of the time the hack will do this globally, but sometimes a hack may be specifically written to affect certain programs.

It's called a hack because it implements things for which PalmOS doesn't have a feature or a registration mechanism. It does this by "filtering" system calls, and therefore it can affect overall system speed and stability, but it depends on *which* system calls it attaches.

Things got a little out of hand originally, since hacks were stepping on one another, and installing and removing hacks became dangerous because of that. Nowadays hacks are written to use hackmaster calls, which is a much better way to do things because it not only keeps hacks from conflicting but it also provides a unified configuration UI.

My opinion about hacks. I tried.. but I just can't live without them. Some are just too cool. BTW, I like x-master, which is a hackmaster(tm) replacement.
    "some are just too cool"

Can you give us a list of your favorites?
    Originally posted by jamesjgross
    "some are just too cool"

Can you give us a list of your favorites?
    Crash - gives you a report of all system resets. can also reboot after a few seconds.. no more reset pin needed.

KeyCapsHack - let's you have RIM-style capitalization. i.e. hold down key and it will change to upper-case.

Switcheroo - assign hotkeys to programs. btw, i have a patch for 1.3.3 which fixes a nasty bug. here -- i've pasted it below..

I used to use a multicliphack which I really need to find one which works on the Treo. That's extremely useful because it let's you cut multiple times and then paste from a pick list.

--- code03e8.c-orig Fri Jul 6 10:31:22 2001
    +++ code03e8.c Fri Dec 20 02:34:06 2002
    @@ -204,7 +204,7 @@

// CALLBACK_PROLOGUE;

- (FtrGet(MYCRID, FTR_INDICATOR, (UInt32*)&savedBits) );
    + if (FtrGet(MYCRID, FTR_INDICATOR, (UInt32*)&savedBits)) return;
    FtrUnregister(MYCRID, FTR_INDICATOR);
    WinRestoreBits(savedBits, 0, 147);
    Originally posted by potatoho

Crash - gives you a report of all system resets. can also reboot after a few seconds.. no more reset pin needed.

KeyCapsHack - let's you have RIM-style capitalization. i.e. hold down key and it will change to upper-case.

Switcheroo - assign hotkeys to programs. btw, i have a patch for 1.3.3 which fixes a nasty bug. here -- i've pasted it below..

I used to use a multicliphack which I really need to find one which works on the Treo. That's extremely useful because it let's you cut multiple times and then paste from a pick list.

--- code03e8.c-orig Fri Jul 6 10:31:22 2001
    +++ code03e8.c Fri Dec 20 02:34:06 2002
    @@ -204,7 +204,7 @@

// CALLBACK_PROLOGUE;

- (FtrGet(MYCRID, FTR_INDICATOR, (UInt32*)&savedBits) );
    + if (FtrGet(MYCRID, FTR_INDICATOR, (UInt32*)&savedBits)) return;
    FtrUnregister(MYCRID, FTR_INDICATOR);
    WinRestoreBits(savedBits, 0, 147);
    Thanks for the great HACKS!
    A question: Is "Crash" the same as "StabilityTest v1.2"? I did a search on both handago.com and palmgear.com and could not find "Crash."
    m00se
    Originally posted by m00se
    Is "Crash" the same as "StabilityTest v1.2"?
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...fm?prodID=8623
    Gracias!
    I wrote an article on hacks a couple years ago (almost) for my PUG which might shed some light for those unfamiliar with them. In that article is also info on three of my favorite hacks. The article is only slightly dated, so it's still helpful.
    http://www.seapug.com/articles/demystifying-hacks.html

I no longer use EasyLaunch as much as I used to. Now Switcheroo does most of that work. But McPhling and ClockPop are still must-haves.

enjoy
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Thank you very much. Download them now.