1.    #1  
    Hi.

I am a little dissapointed with the Treo 300's always on issue. Bcause it is not. The sidekick pda, which is a less superior product, is always really on, and you can recieve instant messages even when you are not actively using the device. I would much prefer this. Does anyone know ways to make the treo as close to this as possible?
    i'd like to know my self. always on my azz! sprintpcs are evil lying cheats (not ALL the people that are working there, just the few "chiefs" who really know what's going on).
    The Treo is capable of "always on" operation. Assuming the radio is on, and the phone is registered on Sprint's network (the LED on top is blinking green):

1) SMS receive capability is always on. For sending SMS, you'd need a third-party application, e.g. Treo300SMS. The "gotcha" here is that the Sprint's SMS gateway servers aren't always the most reliable in terms of speedy delivery...

2) For data, the Treo can be set to stay connected to the data network whenever the radio is on. However, Sprint breaks this connection at various times (either due to network failure, excessive load, or inactivity timeout after around 2 hours), and which point the connection must be restarted by the phone (either via a user command in the Network prefs or under program control, as with Chatter, which will reactivate a broken connection automatically). So, data is almost always on, certainly enough so as to satisfy most users.

Regarding your specific question about instant messages: I'm thinking Verichat can receive IMs at virtually all times (with the caveat that SMS-mediated IM's aren't always timely). Also, the upcoming Chatter software will be able to receive IM's at virtually all times that a voice call isn't active (they'd be received after the call ends).

Hopefully, this helps provide some perspective....

- m
    If the connection is dropped due to inactivity, then the "always on" statement by Sprint is false.

Cable modem connections are always on...if you are away for > 2 hours, does your connection drop? That's the true definition of always on.

I can understand network problems, but inactivity is not an acceptable excuse in my eyes.

NCTreo300
    I don't think anyone would say the inactivity timeout is a good thing, but since connecting only takes a few seconds, it's not a disaster. And I suspect it would be trivial to write some code to keep the connection active.
    Were yall born yesterday? Remember the dialup days when providers advertised "unlimited internet" but quickly followed that by fine print saying unlimited isn't meant to mean that you could be connected 24/7.

While sprint may say "always on" there is fine print somewhere talking about an inactivity timeout. I agree with mblank that it's capable of "always on". What company isn't going to put their product in the best possible light. Take bayer aspirin so you won't get a heart attack, eat quaker oats so you won't get coronary artery disease. Recently I saw an ad for a new car "JUST $99/MONTH". Fine print says $6300 down payment, 59 payments of $99, then a final payment of $6243.
    David
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I feel Sprint has used us all to hype their product. I ordered the Treo 300 the day it was announced. For the first three months, the service was always on. It never dropped off, period. Now, they appear to drop you for inactivity. Also, the connections on the data-side seem to drop off sporadically, even in the middle of data activity !!!

I wish they had left the system the way it was when it was released. Unlimited messages in the SprintBC and actual, "Always On" data...
    The only thing that caused many of us former Verizoners to jump ship was the $10/month unlimited internet. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be on Verizon. Sprint probably guestimated this would happen and started the timeouts so they could handle the new users. If true always on were an option (for $99/month), I'd pick the $10/month almost always on option. And my nephew tells me they ended the $3 charge for speaking to a real person via customer service. That's good.

According to consumer reports sprint is dead last in the ratings of all major wireless phone carriers. I'm sure sprint management has seen this article and is currently trying to figure out how they can move up a couple notches.
    David
    I'm under the impression that the data connection dropping is just a bug -- whether it be the radio or tower I dunno. If that makes you feel any better. I thought the "connection" was simply a bit which got flipped anyhow, and didn't really take any resources etc.
    No, the connection is real alright, as is the default two-hour inactivity timeout. Whether recent problems with broken connections is a bug or not, I wouldn't know. But it seems more likely that network congestion is responsible. It is certainly NOT an issue with individual phones or towers.
    Whatever. Reconnecting takes a few seconds. We can live with it.
  12. lrk
    Yes, agree. I don't need to be connected all the time, and it's simple to reconnect. BUT am I the only one to have this problem: I can't tell if I'm connected or not (data connect, that is). The disconnects are not predictable. I'll get the notice that "Blazer can't complete the connection at this time." Usually that just means try again, so I do. After a couple tries, then Blazer tells me I'm not connected. I would like to know at the start that I'm not connected, so I don't waste time trying.
    Originally posted by lrk
    Yes, agree. I don't need to be connected all the time, and it's simple to reconnect. BUT am I the only one to have this problem: I can't tell if I'm connected or not (data connect, that is). The disconnects are not predictable. I'll get the notice that "Blazer can't complete the connection at this time." Usually that just means try again, so I do. After a couple tries, then Blazer tells me I'm not connected. I would like to know at the start that I'm not connected, so I don't waste time trying.
    I've gotten that a couple of times with Blazer, but it's just a timeout for the most part.. i.e. the web site not responding quick enough, or my coverage being poor that the transmission took too long. I don't recall it having to reconnect afterwards however.

There are times when I think I'm still connected (i.e. I have arrows), but then all of a sudden I see the "Connection Progress" dialog come up.. but then it just connects fine and continues on. I don't worry about it too much. Happens only in poor coverage like my house where I bounce in and out from room to room.

Lemme check real quick if Blazer uses a proxy.. Yup they use blazer-fetch.handspring.com -- I'd suspect that's part of the issue as I don't recall Eudora having problems like that. But then again, Eudora has their own DNS client so maybe they implement things better.