1.    #1  
    Can anyone presently send email from their Treo using the Sprint PCS smtp server?

Thanks,

luvhate*

*(described my relationship with my Treo when I first joined this excellent forum...now it's mostly luv--very little hate)
    I can. I sent one this morning.
    sent one about 10 min. ago
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. I'm nonplussed. I've been using Eudora for months, but all of a sudden my outgoing mail, along with the outgoing mail of three colleagues, doesn't work. It's frozen on the "Connected. Negotiating..." box.

Another Treo user in the area just confirmed that he can also send through sprint smtp.

I did recently install the webclipping files and a few pqas. Are there any known issues there?

Thanks Again!!
  5.    #5  
    Just got off the phone with Sprint Tier 2 tech support. The guy told me that their smtp servers were down. I told them that people on this forum, as well as one person locally (out of 4) could still send email.

I won't even try to explain what he said next.
    telnet smtp.sprintpcs.com 25
    Trying 63.167.114.16...
    Connected to smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 dedicated59-bos -- Server ESMTP (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.03 (built Oct 1 2002))

seems to be up
    telnet pop.sprintpcs.com 110
    Trying 63.167.114.17...
    Connected to pop.sprintpcs.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK Messaging Multiplexor (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.03 (built Oct 1 2002))

pop server is also up

However, I'm getting the same response on my Treo as others
    reported here. hung on "Connected, negotiating..."

It did that earlier today and my treo reset.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks again for your responses.
    When I spoke with Tech support, he told me that even though we all use the name smtp.sprintpcs.com, we connect to different servers...depending on the routes between our connection and the base.

I told him that a guy down the street from me, and you folks, were able to connect, but three other people here could not.
    i was told that they are updating their system for the next couple of hours.... the tech guy wasn't sure if that included their email servers....
  10.    #10  
    Just got off the phone with Sprint Tier 2 again. Spoke with Rob, who was extremely competent. He recreated the issue by using my login credentials on his Treo.

He said that he believed the issue was on Sprint's end. And, that the more people who called in, the quicker it would be rectified. I then conferenced in two others here who were experiencing the same "Connected, Negotiating..." hang issue.

Just doing my own detective work...For the few of you who are experiencing this problem--is the Treo your first Sprint phone?

I remember when I first purchased the Treo, I was unable to set up email on the Sprint homepage. Turned out that only the pre-existing customer had access to this part of the site until late September or so. The new 3G customers did not.

I'm thinking this may be a similar issue.

Thanks!
    I am again experiencing the same problem this morning.

hangs on "Connected, negotiating..."

telnet to port 110 and 25 both work from my desktop.

Now I'm getting this error message.

See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I called sprintpcs at 888 211 4727
    and went through several people before I finally got to
    tech support.

He had me go to the Blazer browser app and clear cache
    and clear cookies and reset the treo with the reset button on
    the back.

Now it works but I complained that I don't want to have to be doing
    this all the time.

He admitted that Blazer has memory leak and they are working
    on getting it fixed.
    Well, it just hung again and I'm back on hold with sprint again.

I only used Blazer once before trying to fetch email.

Same symptoms as above.

Missing Mail server extension
    The mail server does not support the required "UIDL" extension.
    tech support had me clear cache and cookies and do a soft
    reset again.

Again, problem is cleared.

I expressed my dissatisfaction with this solution.
    I use Fastmail.fm as my SMTP server with SnapperMail. My Emails get sent and received overseas in a second or two. That's how fast FastMail is.

I've had my Treo 300 for a month now. I tried initially to set up and use Sprints SMTP server but that turned into a nightmare where the Sprint network update ended up freezing my Treo.

The only problems I've had connecting is sometimes during the week at 9pm when every Tom, **** and Harry in NYC is attempting to connect via Blazer at the beginning of offpeak hours. It sometimes takes a few tries to connect then. Otherwise it has been fine.

I think you guys just have to accept the fact that Sprint's SMTP server is not very reliable and make other arrangements.

I never even loaded the Sprint CD for the Palm Desktop or downloaded anything from Sprint. I just use the latest version of the Palm Desktop and sync with Outlook XP. I don't even have a unique Vision password. I connect via the computer generated one that was sent to me.

Win-Hand Free is a program that allows one to log into your PC via the Treo and send Emails and files.

The less you guys rely on Sprint for anything outside the data connection, the happier you'll be.

I'm not defending Sprint here. In some ways, Sprint is the pits. I'm just aware of Sprint's limitations and have made the decision to not rely on Sprint for anything outside the network connection. Having done that, I've had a good overall experience thus far.
    I couldn't agree more regarding the reliance (or not) on sprintpcs, rarebird; We are following your lead and exploring other means of sending email from the Treo and will probably abandon SprintPCS smtp.

At the same time, this is a problem that warrants some attention, afterall, you pay for it.
    Incidentally, a tier 2 tech support agent used one of our credentials to send email but from a Kyocera SmartPhone. It worked!

And of course, it works on a desktop (outlook etc). Could it be that this problem is localized to the Treo 300? Is this a ticking time bomb in that soon, no one will be able to send email using sprintpcs SMTP & a different POP3 on a Treo 300?

Curious indeed.