1.    #1  
    Howdy. I have my Sprint account set up to block my caller ID by default. However, if I call the cell phone of a friend or family member, or a home number where I know they have caller ID service, I want to reveal my number.

This is no problem when dialing a number via the keypad -- just type *82 before the number (if you don't have your caller ID blocked, this will selectively block it for one call, rather than selectively un-blocking it).

But what I want to do is put *82 in the appropriate phone numbers in my Contacts list. There's nothing stopping you from entering the *82 in these numbers, but unfortunately when you click a Contact phone number to dial it, all punctuation (usually just '(', ')', and '-', but in this case '*' as well) is stripped out, and if you hit "Dial", it'll try to call 82XXXXXXXXXX and the call will fail.

The only workarounds I've found are:
    • Don't put *82 in the appropriate numbers -- just remember which ones you need to reveal your caller ID to, and manually type *82 at the beginning of the number after clicking on it and before hitting the "Dial" button. Easy to forget to do this, though.
    • Do put *82 in the appropriate numbers, and simply type the missing '*' at the beginning of the number before hitting "Dial". Of course, if you forget to do this, the call will fail. Also, putting in extra digits breaks the XXX-XXX-XXXX "pretty-printing" of numbers.
    • Make Speed Dial Buttons for all numbers where it's desired to unblock caller ID. Weirdly, '*' doesn't get stripped out of numbers from Speed Dial buttons (Palm code vs. Handspring code or something?). This method is annoying, though, because it requires you to make Speed Dial entries even for numbers that aren't called frequently, and navigating the multiple Speed Dial pages is a pain. Also, it requires remembering beforehand whether a given call recipient has caller ID or not, to know whether to look for the number in the Contacts list or in the Speed Dial pages.
    Clearly none of these workarounds is ideal. Anyone found a hack that causes '*' to not be stripped out of Contacts list numbers when dialing them? If not, can any Palm OS programmers out there comment on the feasibility of such a hack?
  2.    #2  
    Well, thanks to a post by phildro in another thread, I'm now aware of another workaround, though this one doesn't take fewer pen/keystrokes nor is it faster than the others above.

The workaround is to install MarknDial. Then you can go into your contact list, then select a person, then click Edit, then highlight the desired phone number that includes "*82", then type :menu:-Space. The entire number, including the *82, will be dialed.

Of course with this workaround you still have the problem of the pretty-printing of the number being screwed up, and another problem I didn't think of before is that if you include *82 in a contact and then beam it to another Palm user, they may be unable to dial it as-is, if their Palm phone (or phone connected to a Palm OS PDA via cable, IR, or Bluetooth) also strips out the '*'. Anyone know if other Palm+phone solutions besides the Treo 300 do this?

Of course, even if other devices don't have that problem, including the *82 in the number may not have the desired effect after beamed to someone else -- if they have their caller ID revealed by default, then that *82 will cause it to be blocked when calling that contact, rather than revealing it, as originally intended.

Given the above issues, I guess maybe the best hack for this problem would allow you to use one of the Custom fields as a dialing prefix. So you could put *82 in there and the hack would prepend it to the number when clicking on the number in the contact list, yet pretty printing, number beaming, etc., wouldn't be messed up.

Oh well, even though MarknDial isn't an ideal solution for the *82 problem, it does have other advantages, like allowing direct dialing of phone numbers in, e.g., HanDBase databases (I keep databases of local businesses and restaurants, for example). Rather than having to highlight the number, type Option-c, then click the PhoneBook button, then click on the Dial Pad view, then type Option-p, you can simply highlight the number than type :menu:-Space.

And of course in Blazer (which you might use to look up a phone number via http://www.555-1212.com/Palm/, for instance), you don't even have the long copy + paste method available, since the stupid application (unlike EudoraWeb, Xiino, and any reasonable Palm OS app) doesn't have text copying ability. MarknDial solves this by making anything on a Blazer web page that looks like a phone number into a clickable URL that will cause a direct dial (though it does kind of seem like it slows down Blazer a bit as it does this processing).
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/30/2003 at 01:34 AM.