1.    #1  
    If you've never tried palmvnc (free) and Treo 300, you are missing one of the coolest "wow" features. To be able to control a PC in literally real-time from anywhere basically for free (the program is free, and vision is unlimited) is really great. I downloaded the program, loaded it, created a password, and it worked the very first time. The speed was amazing, and the color looks great. I know it doesn't work for everyone (need a static IP and a forgiving firewall) but it is worth a shot for free...
    I find that Win-Hand is well worth the price in increased speed.

Just the fact that it downloads the parts of the screen not currently in view before you scroll (which allows you to scroll back and forth to read wider text windows without a big hassle) makes it worth it IMO.

But yes, every geek I've shown the PC Remote app to has been impressed.

(BTW, Mobile Office, which allows you to browse directory trees on your hard drive and download and upload files to/from your Palm via wireless, converting Word and Excel documents to and from Palm compatible formats transparently in real time is also really cool IMO, though it also is not free.)
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip, I think I'll try Win Hand to see the improvement.

Who's "Mobile Office" are you refering to? Cisco? I tried to find a palm "Mobile Office" but couldn't...

--------------
    Never mind, think I found it... Mobile File not Mobile Office

http://www.cesinc.com/mobilefile/index.html
    If you don't have a fixed IP address on your desktop machine, is there still a way to use PalmVNC.

Currently I use gotomypc.com to access my desktop from other PCs. This application sends my dynamic IP address to the gotomypc server so that I can make a connection at any time. Unfortunately gotomypc doesn't yet support the Palm.

Regards,
    Wayne Cressman
    As long as you know the public IP address of the machine you are trying to control via VNC, you should have no problems. If you can determine your IP address via the gotomypc program, then just use that IP address for the VNC program.

There are services out on the Internet that allow you to create your own dynamic name, and further, utilities which will keep that dynamic name updated with your current IP address.

I use this in the following way: I have a cable modem and I have a domain name that I have registered, we'll call it lovemytreo.com. At mydyndns.com, I have given them a few dollars to allow me to have them resolve any addresses at the lovemytreo.com domain. I have created a record for "mycomputer". And, I have a little program running on my computer at home that checks to see what the IP address of my cable modem is, and, if it has changed since when it last checked, it updates the record at mydyndys.com for the mycomputer.lovemytreo.com entry.

What this all means is that the internet address mycomputer.lovemytreo.com will always point to the IP address for my cable modem.

Hope this helps...

Miles
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    Originally posted by many_miles
    At mydyndns.com, I have given them a few dollars to allow me to have them resolve any addresses at the lovemytreo.com domain. .....Miles
    FYI...
    noip.com has the same feature and lets you have up to 5 hostnames free. only caviat is the hostname is something like lovemytreo.servehttp.com (hou can choose from a whole bunch of hostnames.)

they have an app to update free as well.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, but thanks for clearing that up kayden75...

Indeed, most if not all of those services have free names available. Most of the time, as kayden75 said, you can choose the host name, but you have to use there domain name.

ie you can choose ilovemytreo on their mydyndns.com domain name for free, which would create your record as:
    ilovemytreo.mydyndns.com

I'll clarify that I chose to give some greenstamps to mydyndns so I could register my own particular domain name and could create as many records as I chose to.

Miles

PS Perhaps a little disclaimer: I am using mydyndns.com as an example because that is the service I use. I don't promote them any more than any other service out there, such as noip.com. Although, I am entirely happy with their service.
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    It looks like I need to get PalmVNC and start using it asap. Where is the best place to download for the Treo 300?
    Last edited by Thunderbroom; 01/13/2003 at 10:27 PM.
    Originally posted by ralerner
    It looks like I need to get PalmVNC and start using it asap. Where is the best place to download for the Treo 300?
    PalmGear.

I just downloaded PalmVNC version 2.0 that supports the Hi-Res screen of the Tungsten, and boy does it look sweet!!! Remote controlling my PC over my laptop's bluetooth card is kinda pointless, but the wow factor is definitely there!

PalmVNC works great over GPRS and CSD connections too; just slow.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Thunderbroom-I hope this is not a dumb question, but I did not see the Palm version as a choice on the website mentioned.

MitzEclipse-you downloaded the app from _______________ ?
    Originally posted by ralerner
    Thunderbroom-I hope this is not a dumb question, but I did not see the Palm version as a choice on the website mentioned.

MitzEclipse-you downloaded the app from _______________ ?
    My goof. Sorry.

I edited the link.
    Just installed VNC but can't seem to connect. When I hover over the VNC icon on my task tray, the IP address: 192.168.0.2 appears and I used that along with an assigned password to connect from PalmVNC from my Treo but it would not connect? What am I doing wrong or missing? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited: Portforwarding IS enabled through my Netgear 314 router, FYI.
    Last edited by speedy_j; 02/10/2003 at 02:23 AM.
    Originally posted by speedy_j
    Just installed VNC but can't seem to connect. When I hover over the VNC icon on my task tray, the IP address: 192.168.0.2 appears and I used that along with an assigned password to connect from PalmVNC from my Treo but it would not connect? What am I doing wrong or missing? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited: Portforwarding IS enabled through my Netgear 314 router, FYI.
    The 192.168.* IP addresses are used for private networks and are not internet routable ( I use the same range in my home network ). You need to connect to the external IP that your ISP provides ( which is a public, routable address ). The best way to find this out is to go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/
    Thanks so much for the help.