Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Check the date on the $50 rebate from CC. The on-line form said it was valid thru 2/1/03.

If it is still good, you got a sweet deal!
    The CC rebate says it's valid from 2/2-2/8, and must be postmarked by 4/8. I hadn't heard of it before, so it was a nice surprise.
    CAMillion, I sent you an email, but just in case you don't get it (or someone else here can chime in), I'll repost my question here...

You said that you were able to go into a Sprint store and have them match the best price (at that time, it was Amazon). You then said that you called up Sprint and had them give you a service credit for upgrading your phone. Did you call Sprint before you went to the Sprint store, while you were at the Sprint store, or after you left the Sprint store (with paid-for Treo 300 in hand)?

Your best deal is a bit better than plutocracy's, though worst case his deal isn't bad either.

Scott
    Originally posted by plutocracy
    Thanks to all for the Best Buy info. I'd been sitting on the fence, looking for a good deal on the Treo after giving up on the T-mobile sidekick. I got the BB ad, went straight to Circuit City, and picked up a Treo for $279 out the door. Additionally, there's the Sprint rebate of $50, and the salesman printed out a separate Circuit City rebate for another $50... bringing the eventual total to $179.
    Great find Plutocracy, wish there was a Circuit City near me!
    Originally posted by CAMillion
    ScottBishop,

I'm not a new customer either. I had to open another account with Sprint with a new number. However, you are able to call Sprint after you get home from purchasing/activating the new phone and have them put your old number on your new phone and your new number on your old phone. Wait a few days and then cancel the service with the old phone because now your new phone has your old number and you still have complied with your side of the agreement. It's a headache but the Treo 300 is AWSOME! So to me, it's worth a little aggravation. And it's totally honest.
    except, how do you get out of an early cancellation fee on your old account? I too am a long time customer and want these great deals...
    Last edited by mo-bile; 02/07/2003 at 12:07 PM.
    my contract was up and I was on month to month service.
    my contract was up and I was on month to month service.
    Great...but I'm still on a contract with Sprint on my previous phone. No way to get a Treo with the rebates because as an existing customer, I'm screwed.
    ScottBishop,

I'm not a new customer either. I had to open another account with Sprint with a new number. However, you are able to call Sprint after you get home from purchasing/activating the new phone and have them put your old number on your new phone and your new number on your old phone. Wait a few days and then cancel the service with the old phone because now your new phone has your old number and you still have complied with your side of the agreement. It's a headache but the Treo 300 is AWSOME! So to me, it's worth a little aggravation. And it's totally honest.

Hi CAMillion,

I called Sprint PCS to inquire about swapping phone numbers but the guy seemed to think I wanted to swap ESNs (phone equipment).

I believe you did the following:

1. Had phone_number_1 + ESN_1 + calling_plan_1 no longer under a service agreement. You wanted a new phone but with the old phone #.

2. Added new service with phone_number_2 + ESN_2 + calling_plan_2 to avail of rebates.

3. Had Sprint PCS swap phone numbers so old number is with new service under contract:

(a) phone_number_2 + ESN_1 + calling_plan_1
    (b) phone_number_1 + ESN_2 + calling_plan_2

4. Cancel service with old plan, leaving behind one active line with the new plan (contract), new telephone (ESN) but old phone number:

(b) phone_number_1 + ESN_2 + calling_plan_2

Is this correct?

What the Sprint PCS customer service rep was trying to do was:

(a) phone_number_1 + ESN_2 + calling_plan_1
    (b) phone_number_2 + ESN_1 + calling_plan_2

Which still has the old phone number associated with the old calling plan 1 that I want to get rid of, after getting the new phone.

How did you explain it to the Sprint PCS guy? I wish I could just do it online since they don't get it. But I can only do ESN changes (equipment changes) online.

Thanks to all for the Best Buy info. I'd been sitting on the fence, looking for a good deal on the Treo after giving up on the T-mobile sidekick. I got the BB ad, went straight to Circuit City, and picked up a Treo for $279 out the door. Additionally, there's the Sprint rebate of $50, and the salesman printed out a separate Circuit City rebate for another $50... bringing the eventual total to $179.
    $279 out the door? Not bad. Did CC require new activation?
    Originally posted by VGtalk

Does anyone know if we can transfer $$$ credits between accounts? Let's say I have a service or equipment credit on my "old" account, can this be transferred to my "new" account?
    VGtalk,

Did you get to figure out whether you could transfer credits as you described above?

Thanks!
    CAMillion,

So you get a $150 phone purchase credit from Sprint. Then Sprint matched Amazon.com's price.

I'm surprised they let you do both. They could have said that they can only do one or the other.

I have a $130 phone purchase credit and I can get Sprint PCS to match Best Buy's $250 price for a new activation... but I doubt they'd do both. The $130 phone purchase credit is for replacing my phone on my existing plan (I think). I'll give it a shot anyway. That would bring my price down to $120 + $35 activation (which may be waived). Hmmm...

TREON YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!!
    Treon,

THANKS SSSSOOOOO much for recommending that link!!!! I did exactly what those guys said they did and I got MY treo today for $167.12 brand spanking new from the local Sprint store in Washington, DC. (18th and M Street). They honored the Amazon rebate which dropped the phone down to $350, then they gave me the Sprint rebate of $50 which brought the phone down to $300. I then called Sprint Customer Care and asked for credit towards a new phone and they told me based on my credit and length of time with them I qualified for a $150 credit toward the purchase of a new phone-plus they gave me two months free service (I did have to sign up for a year-but that was cool b/c I was on month to month anyway)-the $85 2000 minutes, unlimited vision plan. (I don't need that many minutes so after my two months, I'll drop down to the $50 plan. So, my end price was $167.12 out the door-I AM PSYCHED!!!

Thanks for all of your help!!!
    Originally posted by Sprinter

$279 out the door? Not bad. Did CC require new activation?
    The $279 was w/o any activation. They just gave me brochures on rate plans, printed out rebate info, and sent me on my way.

The $279 was w/o any activation. They just gave me brochures on rate plans, printed out rebate info, and sent me on my way.
    Really? BB would not let me buy the phone at the discounted rate of $300 without a new activation.

Where do you live? What CC did you go to? I'll try that... just in case they agree to it too.
    Originally posted by Sprinter

VGtalk,

Did you get to figure out whether you could transfer credits as you described above?

Thanks!
    No, was hoping someone here would shed some light

I tried at CC. They called BB and inquired about the promo. The CC salesperson specifically asked whether the $200 instant discount applied to new or existing customers. So, I could not walk out the door with $200 off without activating a new line. Sigh.
    Originally posted by VGtalk

No, was hoping someone here would shed some light
    Here's a thought:

I know that you can combine 2 Sprint PCS phones on 1 statement. If you do that then I guess it would not matter which account it is on, right?

Why were you interested in doing this?
    If you guys can figure out a way for me to place a copy of my purchase receipt on this board (minus my vital info.) I would do so and you can copy it and take it to your Sprint store for support that they can issue both credits. I went to one of the best deal links on here and printed out posts where people said they got Sprint to match a given store's price. They will honor both!
    I just got my Treo 300 from the Sprint store for the normal price of 499, but managed to talk to service people into giving me a 200 dollar credit based on the Best Buy plan and the fact I have already been a Sprint customer for 4 years. So I didn't have to get a new activation, or a new number. Works for me, 200 dollar credit is like 200 dollars off.

Just complain and whine enough to your Sprint rep, give a little like saying your willing to take a 1 or even 2 year service plan and they should cave depending on who you talk to on the phone at their service place.

Just a thought I'd chime in.
    or, just go on to ebay. I got a brand new one for $375. Not as cheap as the rebates, but I'm an existing customer who didn't want to change numbers. And it's also cheaper than the $499 retail charge.

So I get a new Treo for less money and keep my number. I saw another one go for $335 on ebay.

check it out, and of course, only buy from those with high ratings...never from anyone with just a few and you'll be fine.
    I just wanted to throw out another question into the mix...

The Best Buy ad indicates (as a result of the placement of their footnote numbers) that the $200 instant rebate requires new activation. However, it doesn't say anything about having to commit to any contract. I'm wondering if only the extra $50 Sprint rebate requires signing a one-year contract. Or, does Sprint require one-year contracts on all new activations now?

I'm not super-concerned about keeping our existing phone numbers since we don't give them out.

On a related note, I've been in contact via email with another user here who was able to get a really good deal through Sprint (via a combination of price-matching and service credit) and have attempted the same thing. It may take a few more phone calls to Sprint. As of right now, they've offered me $100 per phone service credit but only if I sign a two-year contract. I don't mind a one-year contract, but two years is way too long. I plan to give them another call soon to see if they can do better, but I got to thinking about the idea of paying a bit more ($300) for the privilege of not having to sign any contract and am a bit tempted by that.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I just wanted to throw out another question into the mix...

The Best Buy ad indicates (as a result of the placement of their footnote numbers) that the $200 instant rebate requires new activation. However, it doesn't say anything about having to commit to any contract. I'm wondering if only the extra $50 Sprint rebate requires signing a one-year contract. Or, does Sprint require one-year contracts on all new activations now?

Scott
    I know Best Buy requires a new activation for the $200-off. But... can't one do a new activation without a contract? If one goes month-to-month I believe you only pay an extra $10-$20/month. Then cancel after a month and keep the phone for your old account. That seems to be legit, unless BB pushes for a new activation and new contract.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast