1.    #1  
    Does anyone know why the treo 300 always
    says "No Caller ID" for messages that are received?

It does this for email sent to phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    or when using an SMS gateway such as http://www.carde.com/sms
    or when calling your own number and entering touch tones to
    page your number.

TIA
    they need to be in your local address book to recognize wit caller id
  3.    #3  
    Is there an easy way to put them into the address book after they have
    been received?
    Actually most sms messages have the header info stripped by Sprint. The only time I get caller info is when we get a message from a cell phone that is in your phone book & it was sent to your phone number only.
  5.    #5  
    Not a big deal but it would be nice to know how it works I guess.

Anyone have access to the format sprint uses for shortmail?
    I guess it's different than SMS.

I came up with a procmail recipe to alert me when I get new
    mail.

:0 c
    * ^To:.*my-email.*my-domain.com
    | $FORMAIL -xFrom: -xSubject: -k | \
    $SENDMAIL 6308036866@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Originally posted by fulltlt:

or when calling your own number and entering touch tones to
    page your number.
    It doesn't do that when using Sprint's WWW SMS gateway, though, if you enter a "Callback number".

I came up with a procmail recipe to alert me when I get new mail.
    To squeeze a bit more use out of the limited 160 characters in shortmails (e.g. by leaving the full name off of the email address), see my sms_biff script, which you can set procmail to call. In the future I hope to make further improvements, like stripping out MIME headers.
    Originally posted by fulltlt

Actually, I just tested the latter case (couldn't test it yesterday, because Sprint's web SMS gateway, which the carde.com one uses, wasn't working properly) and this isn't true. If you enter a phone number in the "From" box, that number will appear in the SMS, just as with the "Callback" box on messaging.sprintpcs.com (which makes sense, because that's exactly where the carde.com proxy sticks your entered "From" info).

As stated before, if you have a phone number in your address book (note that it's not enough to just have it as one of your speed-dial buttons), the person's name will appear. Otherwise, you'll just get the phone number. You will not get "No Caller ID" (as you would if no number were entered) as you state, though.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    In the future I hope to make further improvements, like stripping out MIME headers.
    Oh, and to tie this even more into the discussion at hand, here's another enhancement I have planned for sms_biff:

Optionally submit SMS message to form at <http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/> instead of using email gateway. Once this is done, implement a mapping, using a database, from email address to phone number. When there's a match, fill in this phone number in the optional "Callback number" field. Then omit the "F:" line (to leave more room for subject and body) and let the mapping in the Treo SMS application from phone number to contact name convey the email From information (where it currently just says "No Caller ID").
    If the NO CALLER ID message can be removed by putting an entry in the local address book, what entry would we put in for something to appear there (instead of NO CALLER ID) for any SMS messages sent via <number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com?

That's where all my SMS messages come from, and I'd like to have something (like 'SMS Message' or 'New Email') to appear instead of 'No Caller ID'.

Anyone know what entry I can create in my local address book?

Thanks, Ed
    Originally posted by ecp23
    If the NO CALLER ID message can be removed by putting an entry in the local address book,
    It can't. The only thing you can do by putting a phone number in your address book is to make it transform that person's phone number into their name. If it says "No Caller ID", it means just that -- there's no phone number to look up.

what entry would we put in for something to appear there (instead of NO CALLER ID) for any SMS messages sent via <number>@messaging.sprintpcs.com?
    Unless Sprint has some undocumented way to associate a phone number with an SMS message sent via the email gateway (e.g. with a special email header), which I doubt, then there's no way.

You'd have to have people use the http://messaging.sprintpcs.com web interface instead, and enter a number. However, it would be possible to write a custom script that would live on a mail server and would convert emails sent to it into posts to that web form, and would include a number. Then you could have people use that special address instead of the number@messaging.sprintpcs.com one.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/09/2003 at 05:12 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Is what you're calling "address book" the same as the "Contacts"
    on the treo 300?
    Originally posted by fulltlt
    Is what you're calling "address book" the same as the "Contacts" on the treo 300?
    Yes. I was just mimicking ecp23's terminology.
    Thanks Dan. I send the SMS messages via email, so that's why there is no caller id. Just wish the gateway would put something in there to make it read and look better. Thanks for your info. -- Ed
    Originally posted by ecp23
    Thanks Dan. I send the SMS messages via email, so that's why there is no caller id. Just wish the gateway would put something in there to make it read and look better. Thanks for your info. -- Ed
    Yeah, they could use some set fake number like 123-555-1234 and then you could stick a pseudo-contact for that in your address book. You could certainly suggest this to Sprint, though I suspect they would find it a little too tweaky and likely to confuse unsophisticated customers ("how come I can't call back this number??").

But if we're going to be suggesting things to Sprint, I'd rather suggest they provide a way to format the Subject: line in a special way so as to trigger the email->SMS gateway to use a number provided there as the callback number. For instance, the convention could be:

Subject: CALLBACK:949-555-1212
    or something like that. This would be preferable to the use of a custom email header, as I previously proposed as possibly existing.
    ecp23, I just came across your duplicate thread where you reveal what your use of SMS is. I see you're forwarding your incoming emails to your SMS address. If I implement the above-mentioned enhancement to sms_biff, then you could potentially use it rather than doing raw forwards of your emails, and you could get per-email-correspondent caller ID info.