1.    #1  
    One of the VP's at my company just got a 7135. He knew about my Treo 300 and asked me to help him get it set up. It seems to be a pretty sturdy phone, a bit thicker than the Treo, but not as wide. The screen is clearer, but smaller.

I definately like the Treo's keyboard better than the little grafitti area on the Kyocera. It was somewhat awkward for me to write on.

Based on the way everything is laid out, it seems to put PDA functionality ahead of phone functionality. Although the Treo is less comfortable to hold to your ear, it is easier to use as a phone.

Unfortunately, I was unable to try out the wireless web capabilities of it, because Alltel hasn't gotten it working yet. I talked with a support person at Alltel and they were every bit as confused as Sprint was when I got my Treo, so I guess it's the same everywhere you go...

I'll try to post some pics of the two side by side later on, if anyone wants.

Edit:
    Here's some pics
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0001.JPG
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0002.JPG
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0004.JPG
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0005.JPG
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0006.JPG
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0007.JPG
    http://www.buildabox.net/~jasons/phones/DSCF0008.JPG
    Last edited by jaydee; 01/07/2003 at 02:46 PM.
    Yes, please post some pics!
  3.    #3  
    posted pics... look in the first post
    Thanks for the pictures. The 7135 is not much smaller than the Treo.
    So the added capability of the 7135 amounts to:
    - Card Insert to hold pictures, mp3, etc
    - Replaceable Battery
    - 3.5hrs vs 2.5hrs talk time
    - Form factor - Keyboard vs telephone pad
    - Increased colors
    - Tri mode vs Single mode reception
    I, personally love the keyboard on the Treo. Inputting of data is much faster. I also like the 50 Speed Dial Buttons. The processor on both devices is 33MHZ
    The other factors would not get me to switch from the Treo.

Take care and thanks again for the revealing pictures.
    Thanks for the pix!

I was waiting a while for the 7135. I wanted the longer battery life, expandability, extra colors, phone keypad, and multi-band features...

but decided to get a treo 300 once I realized that the 7135 is a bit heavier but noticeably thicker. I keep this in my pocket and that was a major problem. I thought I'd need a phone pad, but after using the Treo for a few months, I realized that I use the thing maybe once a week because I dial the same numbers through speed dial. Lastly, the keyboard on the treo is a HUGE feature. So much easier to input data and use internet features.

I still love my treo 300
    How come you need a post it note on your monitor. What's wrong with the Treo?

Hey - but I'm impressed with the tidy desk, but not that impressed with the 7135.

thanks for posting
    Thanks for the post and pics, jaydee. I'm kind of surprised I'd never heard of ALLTEL before, since I did quite a bit of research on the various providers (with an emphasis on those offering 2.5G / 3G networks) prior to getting my Treo 300.

But it looks like they only serve certain states, mostly in the southeast?

Shady writes:
    How come you need a post it note on your monitor.
    I couldn't help "eavesreading" the Post-It, and since it appeared to say that "London" needs some HP-UX workstations, I thought for a minute that ALLTEL was in England.
  8.    #8  
    shady - well, sometimes the old pen and paper are faster for taking notes while on the phone than my trusty Treo. but for those notes that are going to hang around a while, they get transferred.

Dan Harkless - haha, you're close... it actually says that "Landon" needs some HP toner for the printers and faxes Alltel used to be 360 Communications, and before that, I forgot what they were. I'm in NC, so it's a safe bet that they mainly service the southeast.

I'd also like to change my stance about the 7135 being laid out more for PDA use than phone use. I toyed with it some more this afternoon, and it certainly does have a lot of useful voice/data features. I still think the Treo is easier to use, and I never saw a speed dial on the 7135 like the Treo has, which I can hit with my fingers.
    If I'm not mistaken Alltel has the naming rights to the stadium where the Jacksonville jaguars play.... that's gotta be the kiss of death if you're a telecommunications company and have your name on a stadium (PSINet-Ravens; Adelphia-Titans)

Alltel uses Brew though, right? Can you run on Java apps on that?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have Alltel and Sprint. I think Alltel will have quite a ways to go before they can handle the data side. Their voice side has problems as it is. I would not want a data phone on Alltel service. Just my 2 worth.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by AirData
    I have Alltel and Sprint. I think Alltel will have quite a ways to go before they can handle the data side. Their voice side has problems as it is. I would not want a data phone on Alltel service. Just my 2 worth.
    You're right. Most calls to Alltel customers end with "The wireless customer you're trying to reach is unavailable in the Alltel network." I've seen that happen time and time again even though they had full signal.

It's amazing how tolerant people are of crappy service. Alltel is very popular here in eastern NC, but the service is horrendous. People just think that's how all cell phones are, and they don't do anything about it.

We had to disable CDMA 1x to and revert back to whatever the old data network used to get his 7135 to connect.
    Hey jaydee... great picture... the guy and the gal on your desk.
    :-)
    Doug
    Does the Kyocera line have anything similar to TreoCentral? Where will they turn to for support? Besides general newsgroups that is. I was just wondering about this. It goes almost without saying that support quality is one of the most important factors when making a purchase of this type.
    Last edited by copernicus; 01/09/2003 at 04:08 PM.
    You will find an active Kyocera community here:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/
    I'm watching the Treo 300 vs. Kyocera debate closely. Does anyone have thoughts about the Samsung 330? I thought it was pretty cool. How does functionality compare with Treo? Does anyone know when the Palm W is going to arrive, which will have the much-loved keyboard.
    Originally posted by msneider
    I'm watching the Treo 300 vs. Kyocera debate closely. Does anyone have thoughts about the Samsung 330? I thought it was pretty cool. How does functionality compare with Treo? Does anyone know when the Palm W is going to arrive, which will have the much-loved keyboard.
    You can find some of the answers to your questions (and links to additional info) in my Smartphones Buying Guide.
    Despite lusting after the 7135 for months/years (it seemed), I went with a Treo back in August. after checking one out just now (as in, 5 minutes ago) at the Vegas airport, I know I mde the right decision. For me, anyway. The 7135 is way thick and way heavy. that plus no thumboard means no go for me. SD slot is nice, as is replacable battery, plus MP3 - cool; BUT - I ue mine as a business tool, and the thumboard is critical. And that suckah is big and heavy. Nope. Not for me.
    I agree with nrosser

the architecture of the Treo allows it to fit really well in one's pocket (like a second wallet)

plus, the clamshell design is OLD and stupid...most companies have given up on this design

Lastly....after using a KEYBOARD, how can you go back to graffiti???? I know I won't....

Ultimately, the Treo 2 will hopefully have a few more things (Bluetooth, SD card, battery option)

but until then, I'd still rather own a Treo
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Thanks for posting those pics hansandady!!

also Dan Harkless,

I believe I read somewhere that Verizon was in the process of merging with most of Alltel in the near future...

As for the 7135, it looks like a great device but the larger form factor is a problem for me. One question though... The specs on teh 7135 indicate that it has Assisted GPS (A-GPS) technology. How is this technology different from WAAS? I understand it uses cell tower doppler tirangulation instead of satellite, but how is its accuracy when compared to WAAS devices like the new iQue 3600?

Anyway, I'll wait for a OS 5 Treo w/SD+BT thanks very much...
    Thanks for the pix on the 7135. I thought about waiting until Verizon brought out the 7135, since I live in the east, and their service continuously ranks #1. Also, my family uses Verizon and it would simplify my life. One bill, etc. However, I have used 2 different Kyocera phones (actually the first was a Qualcom which sold their phone manufacturing business to Kyocera). My experience has been awful. The primary problem has been a non-replacable battery, that wouldn't charge after 6 & 9 months. I know that the batteries on the 7135 are replacable, but at what cost, and how often.

I have been a Handspring user almost since the beginning, and have been very pleased with both the products and support. That is why I chose not to wait to do my own side by side comparison and I purchased the Treo 300.