1.    #1  
    I've been watching this forum for a long time now being a user of Nokia 9210. I like the keyboard. I like the color screen. If the Nokia 9210 would have been shrunk, I thought, it could probably end up like a Treo 270. Both are clam shell types.

All I want from a business phone remains the same

- email access
    - web access
    - office applications (Word and Excel)
    - games (but, of course!)
    - color

The other things that others look for are not important for me

- multimedia
    - camera
    - bluetooth

I was all set to purchase Treo 270 this year when the P800 noise came around. P800 does not have a keyboard. For all of its other wonderful features, I felt I probably will be unhappy with that. But I found out that Sony Ericsson will support a keyboard soon. It does not have office applications either. Two things that are important to me.

So, instead of purchasing my Treo 270 today after handling a demo unit in one store-I was already in love with it, it is light, touch screen, I can dial on the thumb-keyboard as well as on the screen, it is small, and large screen- I stopped because of the thought that P800 might just have a keyboard in the wings. That keyboard thing is really a killer.

By February, the warranty on my Nokia 9210 will expire. It is time to look for another.

With all the negative reports from others, may I know how many has the longest running Treo 270 without any significant problems?

I am willing to learn Palm OS for the Treo 270 if by my scheduled purchase, the P800 remains keyboard-less.
  2.    #2  
    How would you compare your experience with Treo 270 as a phone in terms of

- SMS (group SMS?)
    - call placement and receive
    - call waiting, conferencing
    - contacts integration
    - speakerphone (N9210 has a loud speakerphone)
    - ringtones (N9210 can play WAV for ringtone)

For the PDA portion, I gather that I will need to purchase additional software to maximise the Treo?

- Word and Excel doc management
    - Email and viewers of attachment
    - Web (static like the N9210 browser?)
    - File manager
    - Calculator
    - Calendar and Appointments (daily, weekly, monthly, year, anniversaries, recurring skeds, alarms)
    - Task list
    - Max Memory of Treo 270 (N9210 is expandable to 64 MB)
    - Games?

It appears that the Treo 270 have no support for multimedia, unlike the N9210 which has audio and video.

I'm giving up the N9210 because of its size. It's heavy on my waist. But it is a joy when you place it on the table. And you work on it like a laptop. I have to hold it with two hands on the street and two-thumb type just as I would with a Treo if I hold it that way but I can see that I can actually use only one hand very frequently.
    As a former owner of a Nokia 9210, I can say that I find Treo 270 much better.
    Some of the reasons why:
    - Lighter
    - smaller
    - Easier to handle
    - Faster (personal feeling, I don't have actual statistics)
    - GPRS
    - Palm OS
    - Quality phone (holds well in poor reception areas)
    - Touchtone screen
    And I surely forget a lot...

I never understood how come Nokia made its Communicator HSCSD and never GPRS, by the way!

On the other hand, with Communicator 9210 you may add extra memory (lacking dramatically with Treo 270) and the quality of the screen is much better.
    Treo ringtone management doesn't match, by far, Nokia Communicator' (God I miss my "Captain, incoming call" - from Star Trek, Next Generation - as ringtone!)
    Nevertheless, I would never leave Treo to go back to Nokia Communicator.

As for available applications, Treo being Palm OS based, you have thousands of apps available (commercial, shareware, freeware).
    I've got my own selection and replaced some of the apps that came with Treo (i.e. Calculator) by others that I bought because they match better my needs.
    Which means a Palm OS device is like a Windows computer: not two are alike because you can adapt them to your own needs and personality.
    It's not only a question of budget, as hundreds of quality freewares are available outhere!

Finally, it is true that Treo isn't multimedia (or Bluetooth, for that matter)... and cannot be adapted.
    It is a shame. I agree!

As for its usability, I confirm that it is more than fine:
    As I did before with Nokia Communicator 9210, I can put Treo on a table, or just hold it because it is light enough, and use the built-in keyboard to type Emails, SMS messages (no MMS), reports (in a MS-Word compatible app I added - doesn't come in the box with Treo), or spreadsheet (again on a third party MS-Excel compatible app).

Now as for the reliability of the device:
    From my own experience: poor.
    I'm at my 6th unit (five replacements). All you read in this forum is true.
    But still I wouldn't go back to Nokia Communicator (this is a reliable device, from day 1!) because Treo is more user-friendly.

It doesn't mean that I'll keep Treo 270 for ever!
    As soon as a new device with the same strong points as Treo, but more reliable, comes out, I'll switch without second thoughts!
    But I haven't seen, or heard of one (except maybe for the updated phone version of Fujitsu Siemens Looxs due sometime in January or February 2003).
    As for the Sony Ericsson P800, I tried it last week and liked it very much.
    But it is more on the phone side ('Smartphone'), and it's not what I'm after.
    I want a a smart PDA (to eventually replace my laptop on the road) that can be used as a quality phone.
    Despite its serious reliability issues, I believe that today (07 January 2003), Treo is the one.
    But the world moves fast...
    check out samsung i-500. too bad its cdma.
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2856.html

or the ulta cool looking pocket pc version i-700
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2846.html
  5.    #5  
    Well, maybe I will wait for the Treo 360 to reach Manila. Someone posted that this is the next generation Treo
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    Well, maybe I will wait for the Treo 360 to reach Manila. Someone posted that this is the next generation Treo
    Patience is a very good vertue...
    manoftruegod, I'm from manila too. but treo 360 isnt even out yet, and I havent read anything about it. do you have any info on this?
  8.    #8  
    Someone just posted that topic on the General Discussion forum. Probably between now and March as many mobile events are happening in this time frame.
    Someone just posted that topic on the General Discussion forum. Probably between now and March as many mobile events are happening in this time frame.
    But on the other hand, this is only in this forum that you can read such information.
    Not a word in specialized press (always ready to talk about under-development devices) or in any other forum on Handspring or Treo.
    Only a rumor?
  10.    #10  
    Wishlist?