1.    #1  
    Hello. I'm sorry if it is a common problem with a well-known solution. I searched this forum and found some issues similar to mine, but no clear solutions for noobs such as me.

So, I have (had?) a Treo650 GSM. Yesterday, all of a sudden, it stopped working. Now, it just reboots in a loop. And it apparently reboots so early in the boot process, that I'm unable to even do hard reset. Perhaps the Flash ROM contents got damaged? I don't know. Once, I accidentally pressed the sync button on my data cable while the device was rebooting, and I saw on the screen something like a "rainbow" - the screen was divided into 4 equal horizontal parts - red, green, blue and white. There was a text "Bootload v 0.24" in the red part. What's even more interesting, the Device Manager on my PC (running Windows XP) told me that a new device ("HTC USB Sync") has been added. So, it seems my Treo is not totally dead, after all? I read somewhere in the forum that people here enter that "rainbow mode" intentionally to reflash their devices. Can I somewhat try to reflash mine too? Unfortunately, I have neither the flash ROM contents, nor any software to do the work or the knowledge to use it, and in fact I don't even know the firmware version of my device. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Hi. Welcome to the best comunity of the Internet!

Dude, the Treo 650 is close to "unbrickable"!

This "rainbow" screen that you see is the "bootloader"; in other words, is ready to receive a new ROM/firmware/System.

Well... you gonna find the instructions and the rom updater here:

Palm Support : Software Update 1.20 (Windows installer) for Treo 650 - Unlocked

Believe me, it's more simple than you can think! Until I can make!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hi. Welcome to the best comunity of the Internet!

Dude, the Treo 650 is close to "unbrickable"!

This "rainbow" screen that you see is the "bootloader"; in other words, is ready to receive a new ROM/firmware/System.

Well... you gonna find the instructions and the rom updater here:

Believe me, it's more simple than you can think! Until I can make!!

Best Regards...
    Thank you very much. But, as I already mentioned, I'm a newbie. I read carefully the link you send me, but I'm afraid the instructions outlined there won't work in my case. I believe that this update can be installed only on a working Treo, which is able to do Hotsync with the host PC, while mine cannot even load the Palm OS. And, when in that "rainbow" or "bootloader" mode my Treo doesn't react at all when I press the synchronization button.
  4.    #4  
    OK, I downloaded the Treo ROM Tool and tried to download the ROM. However, this was without success, as the progress bar told me that I must wait 7000 minutes or so to download the entire gigabyte (!?!) of ROM, and I aborted the operation. Also , there were lots of "warning: status 27" errors in the log window. After that, I tried to upload some ROM, and apparently it completed successfully, but this didn't solve the problem with the reboot loop. It simply didn't make any difference. Then I downloaded a tool, mtty.exe, and managed to connect to the phone with it. I issued the command "flashtest", it began doing something, while at the same time printing lots of errors. After a while the phone lost power, and after that I couldn't turn it on at all anymore. No LEDs, no screen light, no sound, it looks totally dead now. Did I kill the damned thing beyond hope?
    Quote Originally Posted by vbdasc View Post
    OK, I downloaded the Treo ROM Tool and tried to download the ROM. However, this was without success, as the progress bar told me that I must wait 7000 minutes or so to download the entire gigabyte (!?!) of ROM, and I aborted the operation. Also , there were lots of "warning: status 27" errors in the log window. After that, I tried to upload some ROM, and apparently it completed successfully, but this didn't solve the problem with the reboot loop. It simply didn't make any difference. Then I downloaded a tool, mtty.exe, and managed to connect to the phone with it. I issued the command "flashtest", it began doing something, while at the same time printing lots of errors. After a while the phone lost power, and after that I couldn't turn it on at all anymore. No LEDs, no screen light, no sound, it looks totally dead now. Did I kill the damned thing beyond hope?
    You can't just download stuff from the internet and use it without first knowing what it does. Stop where you are and read the 650 custom ROM thread. That tells you how to upload a custom ROM and how to recover.