Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You need to use wireless modem on the PDA, and make sure your Hotsync manager is turned off on your laptop. If the hotsynch manager is on, it will always immediately come up with Unable to open serial port.

Has anyone addressed the issue with the connection dropping after 15-20 minutes? This happens each time on my connection (WinXP, serial cable, COM1, etc.)

NCTreo300
    I am using the serial port on the PDA and serial on the Laptop. The error message appears on the Treo 300.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Welchen,

In the WirelessModem app on the Treo 300, ENSURE:

PDA Modem Port:
    - Wireless Modem

Laptop Connected Via:
    - Serial

Also, ensure connection rates are 57,600 for the rates, both on your Treo 300 Wireless Modem settings AND on your laptop!

NCTreo300
    Originally posted by welchen
    I am using the serial port on the PDA and serial on the Laptop. The error message appears on the Treo 300.

Thanks for your quick reply.

What is the EXACT port name? Is it:

Serial
    USB/Serial
    Cradle Port
    Classic Serial

What port speed have you selected? Have you tried a different port? What have you selected for PDA Modem Port? Is Vision connected?
    Scott-
    I just want to let you know that all the demanding voices for support are a consequence of your good work and honest efforts.
    I, for one, have used your wirelessmodem app and have enjoyed the benifit of being online on a VPN, getting work doneand being productive while waiting at the airport.
    Your work has been awsome. I appreciate the fact that you stay online and do an honest job of supporting your product.
    Bluejay,

A-Men!!! Thank you Scott for a wonderful piece of software! I will be providing my $37.50 very shortly!!!

NCTreo300
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Scott,

I get about 32k with your product. Do you know if the network is actually faster and it is a limitation of the treo processor?

In other words, if I have a client who for business reasons needs the fastest connection possible, is the Wireless Web Data PCMCIA cards alot faster?

Thanks,
    Mark F Chinsky
    Originally posted by mulcher
    Scott,

I get about 32k with your product. Do you know if the network is actually faster and it is a limitation of the treo processor?

In other words, if I have a client who for business reasons needs the fastest connection possible, is the Wireless Web Data PCMCIA cards alot faster?

Thanks,
    The connection cards are probably faster as the processor speed in the Treo does affect throughput. If you need a connection for all the time data, definitely get a connection card. As I've pointed out before, the transfer speed you'll see can range from bad to great (20 - 100 kbps) and depends on signal strength, physical location, time of day, etc. While you may see similar issues with the connection cards, I would expect it to be faster in most (all) cases.
    Originally posted by sgruby

I've used the Keyspan High Speed serial adapter: <http://www.keyspan.com/> and then Handspring's serial HotSync cable (from Handspring's website).
    Thanks for the reply. I've been using the Belken USB-Serial adapter, and then a cable from eBay (accessorydirect) that has a Y-connector for USB sync or serial sync. This works fine, having been set up per Scott's instructions for the Keyspan adapter (but using the Belkin driver, of course). The Y-connector USB/Serial to the Treo is helpful because when I'm on the road with my Treo and laptop, I can charge the Treo from laptop rather than having to carry the separate charger.
    Kami
    If you are having trouble with dropped connections, try going to Network Connections, highlight "treo modem" or whatever you named your modem. Right click and select properties. On the option tab is the option to "redial if line is dropped".
    Sully
    Boston, MA
    Treo 650 and 700
    Former Treo 300 and 600 Owner
    With Treo 300 and WirelessModem via IrComm, the downloading speed is only 40-50K. This is far slower than the 100-144K I usually got with Samsung A500 via USB. I think the throughoutput is limited by the Max 115200 of Win2000. WinXP does not have this limit for dial-up connections. Samsung also gives you 23400 under win2000.
    With a serial cable, the speed I got with LG 5350 is almost the same with Treo 300 + WirelessModem.
    Anyone tried on WinXP and got a speed higher than 100K? Does WinXP give you an option for 23400 or higher?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Fixup, I only got about 32k where I am...
    Mark F Chinsky
    I'm thinking of the bottleneck.

1) The IrDA. On the laptop side it is 4Mbps, no problem. On the Treo 300 side, I cannot find the specification.
    2) IrComm. Any overheads here?
    3) The 33MHz CPU of Treo 300. It should be much faster than the Samsung A500. Then why A500 can do 144K?
    4) WirelessModem. Any overheads here?

My impression is the 1), i.e. the IR speed of Treo. I noticed the sync speed is also very slow via IR. Treo must have a very slow IR port.

Other than the slow modem, I love this Treo! If people can get much faster speed via USB (Mac, Linux), then I'll help Scott to develop a USB driver for Windows (I'm a Windows programmer, damn good one). Otherwise I'll wait for the 7135.

So please post your speed on Mac and Linux.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I'm thinking of the bottleneck.

1) The IrDA. On the laptop side it is 4Mbps, no problem. On the Treo 300 side, I cannot find the specification.
    2) IrComm. Any overheads here?
    3) The 33MHz CPU of Treo 300. It should be much faster than the Samsung A500. Then why A500 can do 144K?
    4) WirelessModem. Any overheads here?

My impression is the 1), i.e. the IR speed of Treo. I noticed the sync speed is also very slow via IR. Treo must have a very slow IR port.

Other than the slow modem, I love this Treo! If people can get much faster speed via USB (Mac, Linux), then I'll help Scott to develop a USB driver for Windows (I'm a Windows programmer, damn good one). Otherwise I'll wait for the 7135.

So please post your speed on Mac and Linux.
    The reason why other phones (as far as I know) can achieve better speeds is because they don't "process" the data, they simply connect the phone to the USB port. WirelessModem has to read each byte and then send it over the port. So that's one of the bottlenecks. However, I've seen much faster throughput over USB than people are quoting for IR.

If you'd like to develop a Windows USB driver for use with WirelessModem, that would be great. It is a pretty straightforward (not simple) piece of software. The app/driver must present itself as a COM port to the rest of Windows and must talk simple USB to the Treo. WirelessModem simply passes the data through USB to the host. There aren't any specs and the Mac OS X code isn't going to be useful. If you end up writing the driver, let me know and we can work out a deal.
    I have a question. I'm about to try using WirelessModem through the IR port. Will I be able to talk on the phone (through the headset) while I'm connected to the internet? It'll make supporting my customers much easier if I can.

Thanks!
    -Cyrus
    Originally posted by CyrusL
    I have a question. I'm about to try using WirelessModem through the IR port. Will I be able to talk on the phone (through the headset) while I'm connected to the internet? It'll make supporting my customers much easier if I can.

Thanks!
    -Cyrus
    Nope. Sprint doesn't have simultaneous voice and data.
    Originally posted by CyrusL
    Will I be able to talk on the phone (through the headset) while I'm connected to the internet?
    I did get a call poped out while I was using WirelessModem yesterday. After I picked up that call and finished talking, the Treo crashed though.

Generally, Sprint PCS Vision phones are not blocked while connected to Internet. As long as no ongoing data activity at that moment, you can make out calls and calls can come in too. After a voice call, the Internet connection is still alive and no need to redial-up.

If this is what you asked about, yes, you can leave the Internet connection all day long checking email periodically, surfing the Internet. Just don't downloading/uploading huge files, your customers calls will still come in. If a call comes right at the moment of data activity, you'll be notified the missed call or a new voice mail. This is how the Vision phone work and I love it!

Scott, thank you for your reply. Your explainnation also answered a question I had for a long time about the LG 5350. That phone's USB port is different than that of Samsungs and seems not a full implementation of USB. Like your WirelessModem, the LG also may have to "process" the data and transfer it through USB. This may be the reason the LG only gave me 40-50KB speed, very similar to what I got with WirelessModem. LG and WM behaved very similar too - slow but never hang while the Samsung is very fast but hang frequently.

I'll try USB on my Linux and Mac boxes. If I'll achieve a decent speed, I'll contact you about the Windows driver. I have to use the WirelessModem on Windows because my primary laptop is a Libretto 100 running Windows. I do program for Linux too but not so good compared to my Windows skill.
    Has anyone tried this with a desktop system? Just curious...
    Originally posted by Predator-1
    Has anyone tried this with a desktop system? Just curious...
    Yes, I've tried it with Windows 98, 2000, and XP (home edition) as well as Mac OS 9, all on desktop machines.
    How did it turn out? Did you get it to work? What software and cables did you use? What was your connection speed?...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast