Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If I use Backup Buddy with a Treo 300 and restore to a new Treo 300 (old one replaced)will everything work ok or will I encounter some problems? Thanks... Robert
    My original Treo suffered a broken pin and I had it replaced (the Number One reason that I don't regret paying $500 at a Sprint Store). I recovered everything but a registration code the next time I synched to Palm Desktop. What does Backup Buddy offer that a combo of Palm Desktop and Filez (freeware that lets you modify backup bits on files) doesn't? I'm not likely to buy it, becuase I can't figure out what it offers that is significantly different than what I already have...
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Backup Buddy backs up all your third party palm applications and databases. The hotsync software only backs up the native palm applications and their databases. If you have invested a significant amount of money in software (such as I have) then you will want Backup Buddy to ensure it is not lost forever should you ever find the need to replace your hardware or restore your Treo from scratch. I highly recommend it.
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    My original Treo suffered a broken pin and I had it replaced (the Number One reason that I don't regret paying $500 at a Sprint Store). I recovered everything but a registration code the next time I synched to Palm Desktop. What does Backup Buddy offer that a combo of Palm Desktop and Filez (freeware that lets you modify backup bits on files) doesn't? I'm not likely to buy it, becuase I can't figure out what it offers that is significantly different than what I already have...
    I just paid $350 at CC and bought the extended warranty.....if something happens..they replace no questions asked.
    Llynx said:

Backup Buddy backs up all your third party palm applications and databases. The hotsync software only backs up the native palm applications and their databases.

My experience is quite different. I installed numerous applications on my Treo. Then I had it replaced with one wiped to factory conditions. I synced to my existing Palm Desktop backup. After sync, even my high scores in my games were back. Palm restored everything, not just the basic apps. Even my custom ringtones came back. My Treo was completely restored without Backup Buddy or anything like it. So - again - what does this software do that Palm desktop doesn't?
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    Just this past Friday I had to resync from scratch (batteries drained) ... I used palms standard hotsync app and everything was back just as before...
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    The advantage of BackupBuddy is that it backs up Saved and Unsaved Preferences. Reg. codes for third party apps are usually saved in Saved or Unsaved Prefs. BB saves you the trouble of re-entering Reg. Codes into your software. That's one Advantage I know of.
    don't pay for backup buddy. "syncall" does the same thing and it's free.
    Originally posted by pcampbell
    What does Backup Buddy offer that a combo of Palm Desktop and Filez (freeware that lets you modify backup bits on files) doesn't?
    Thanks so much for making me aware of FileZ, Peter!

The other day when I came back from Disneyland (where I had my Treo in a different jacket pocket than usual), I found that my battery had completely died somehow (despite the fact that I didn't use my Treo at all during the day, it started with a full charge, I have it on a 2-minute auto-off, and I have PowerOn stopping single button presses from turning the unit on). Most of my applications and databases came back after a HotSync, but a few games (including Palm's MineHunt and all of Frobnitz' installed games), and annoyingly, all of my Xiino bookmarks (which was a lot, and which I didn't have saved elsewhere) did not come back.

Looks like FileZ will take care of this problem (now that I've figured out its not-entirely-intuitive and incompletely-documented interface). There are a few items that I'm surprised are not backed up by default, DatebookDB (although I guess it's just there for some kind of backward compatibility, and Datebk3HDB is the real deal?), Internet Prefs Panel, MIDI Ring Tones, Net Prefs, and Unsaved Preferences (although I guess the name of this item implies it shouldn't be backed up??). Since the settings associated with those databases (where I can determine what those are -- dunno what Unsaved Preferences is) seemed to come back just fine after my HotSync, though, I'm hesitant to turn on those backup bits (in some cases, like the Net Prefs, I think the databases are actually populated out of separate NVRAM on the Treo?).

One item that's not backed up is KeyboardDemo, yet somehow it came back after my HotSync. Weird...

There are also some I can see why they don't back up, for instance web browser caches, and X-Master's active hacks DB, which could feasibly get you stuck in an infinite crash-HotSync-crash-... loop if it were backed up (although X-Master does have the nice feature of asking you after a soft reset whether you want to enable the hacks you had turned on previously, which might help you in the post-RAM-loss case as well).
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/08/2003 at 09:27 PM.
    Be sure to tell it not to back up your browser cache, it will save you a lot of time on hotsyncs (especially wireless hotsyncs, heh).
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    Originally posted by markshelby
    Be sure to tell it not to back up your browser cache, it will save you a lot of time on hotsyncs (especially wireless hotsyncs, heh).
    Yeah, I mentioned that:

There are also some I can see why they don't back up, for instance web browser caches
    That has an unfortunate side-effect, though. I like to have the manuals / READMEs for software I have installed on my Treo available on the device itself. For plain-text documents, I've been putting them in WordSmith. I didn't have much luck getting HTML documents into WordSmith, though, so for manuals in HTML format I had been loading them in Xiino and then locking them in the cache.

Xiino doesn't keep the locked cache documents in a separate database, though, so unfortunately it's either potentially lose all those saved documents or back up the entire cache on HotSync.

Perhaps with Xiino Cruiser documents are saved in a different DB, though -- haven't played with it yet...
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Perhaps with Xiino Cruiser documents are saved in a different DB, though -- haven't played with it yet...
    And if not, I guess there's always AvantGo, which I've also never played with (the idea of paying for an offline browser on an inherently online device has always seemed a bit anathema to me).

Well, one more apparent fallout from my power loss. All the "DOC" format documents I have in WordSmith are set to be backed up by default, and they came back when I did a HotSync after my power loss, but today when I added a new a new DOC PDB for the first time since then, all my other DOC documents (though not the WordSmith manual, which is in WordSmith format) disappeared.

I suspect this is due to the WrdS_Docs file not being backed up. When I went in and looked at it with FileZ's editor, its first two records were the names of the WordSmith manual and the new document I'd just added to my Treo, and all the other records were unreadable because they'd been deleted.

Luckily, all the deleted documents were safe and sound in the Archive subdirectory of Palm Desktop on my PC.

I think I'll set WrdS_Docs to be backed up and hopefully that'll prevent this from happening again.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/10/2003 at 03:49 PM.
    Well, here's an update on my quest to get the HTML-format documentation files for my Treo's apps (which I lost with Xiino's cache when my Treo lost power) onto my Treo in a backup-able format.

I tried Xiino Cruiser, but it wasn't helpful. First off, it doesn't work with "file://..." URLs, which is lame, so I had to upload the HTML README (and its image files) I was interested in onto my website and run Cruiser on it there. It worked fine, but I looked with FileZ and it was apparent that Cruiser'ed documents were not being saved in a separate DB. Sure enough, I tried clearing Xiino's cache, and afterwards, the Cruiser'd document had to be reloaded from the web. So all Cruiser does is preload Xiino's normal cache.

I looked again at AvantGo, but their site is basically set up so you can't learn anything about it without signing up for an account (and maybe paying money as well?). And all they referred to was automatically-updated "channels" -- couldn't find any info on offline browsing of HTML files off of your PC (though I suspect this is possible).

I checked PalmGear to see if there was a standalone AvantGo client, and there was, but it was from 1998. Also, a user review implied that you'd need to sign up for AvantGo's service even with this version of the software.

Luckily, the same review also mentioned Plucker, a GPL'd AvantGo equivalent, and it turned out to work great. The only caveat is that you have to set it to reduce images to 256 colors. If you use "thousands of colors", image rendering is pathologically slow (around 1 second per scanline), just like the PocketLink web browser. I wonder how Blazer is able to display images at full speed even when set to High Color yet these guys are just unusably slow at this bit depth...

Oh, one other note. If you want to have the Plucker user guide on your Treo but you don't want a separate launcher icon for it, you can use FileZ to turn off its "Launchable" attribute (I couldn't find any way to do the same with Plucker itself, since they don't seem to provide you with the original HTML source files they made the Plucker-format user guide out of).
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Luckily, the same review also mentioned Plucker, a GPL'd AvantGo equivalent, and it turned out to work great. The only caveat is that you have to set it to reduce images to 256 colors. If you use "thousands of colors", image rendering is pathologically slow (around 1 second per scanline), just like the PocketLink web browser. I wonder how Blazer is able to display images at full speed even when set to High Color yet these guys are just unusably slow at this bit depth...
    Hey, never mind -- I just found that in the Preferences menu you can set "Screen depth: 16" and that makes it render 16-bit color images at full speed. It's apparently just when you have the Screen depth set to its default setting of 8 bits and then view 16-bit images that you get the glacial render speed (because it's doing live dithering or something??).

Unfortunately I don't think PocketLink has a similar option (I can't check as my trial copy has expired).
    BTW, as you'd expect, Plucker also works well on .txt README files, and (by default) it makes more screen real estate available for reading than does WordSmith. It doesn't allow you to copy & paste text from its documents, though (not a big deal for documentation files).
    Dan, would it be possible to view your html docs with a palmOS html editor such as Torpedo 2.5.1? You were afraid that avantgo cost money. I think it's free below a certain threshold. I used it extensively with a 6035 not because I was afraid to use my minutes, but because it was faster than connecting via the slow 14.4 method. It allows you to go to custom pages, but not sure if it allows the file:// url.

Regarding your lost bookmarks. I have a growing list as well in blazer and it seems to me a better way should exist. I would rather have my links as a simple html page of links which I could reorganize on my own. It would be nice if blazer could read a locally stored html page for its home page. My dsl account gives me a small amount of web space for a home page. Perhaps I could upload it there. Shouldn't take long to load since it would be text only. That's when I started looking at Torpedo, but I haven't downloaded it yet.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    Dan, would it be possible to view your html docs with a palmOS html editor such as Torpedo 2.5.1?
    Well, it says the demo version doesn't allow you to preview your files, which I presume means you'd have to read the raw HTML source, which isn't a very attractive option... No, it looks like I'm going to be pretty happy with Plucker.

Regarding your lost bookmarks. I have a growing list as well in blazer and it seems to me a better way should exist. I would rather have my links as a simple html page of links which I could reorganize on my own. It would be nice if blazer could read a locally stored html page for its home page. My dsl account gives me a small amount of web space for a home page. Perhaps I could upload it there. Shouldn't take long to load since it would be text only. That's when I started looking at Torpedo, but I haven't downloaded it yet.
    Way back in 1997, I uploaded my Netscape's bookmarks.html file to my website, so that I'd have access to the same bookmarks whether I was at work or at home (and so that I could access them from multiple browsers on a single computer, though this wasn't really a concern early on).

I still keep my bookmarks online, but over the years, they've grown to almost 100K, which can take awhile to download over the Vision network (although Xiino's cache-locking feature can obviate this somewhat). My thought was to keep just my "handheld-friendly sites" bookmarks on my Treo itself, since I don't really have a need to access those from desktop browsers.

However, I regularly switch between Blazer, EudoraWeb, and Xiino, depending on what site I'm accessing, so it sucks to have to maintain the links between the different browsers' bookmarks features. So I've started to rebuild my Handheld-friendly Sites links, and have gone ahead and put them on my online bookmarks page. I think what I'll do is make my bookmarks page into a CGI script that'll allow you to either view the entire bookmarks list, or just a selection of sections, so that it isn't necessary to download the whole ~100K.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 01/10/2003 at 07:00 PM.
    Another idea. Load the html docs in MS Word, save as .doc, then have that doc sync over to the palm with Documents to Go.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    Another idea. Load the html docs in MS Word, save as .doc, then have that doc sync over to the palm with Documents to Go.
    Yes, that would work (though sometimes the formatting might not transfer over all that well), but that would require spending at least $50 on Documents to Go. Plucker is free.
    One more comment on the color depth issue. I just downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader for Palm OS so that for my Treo apps whose documentation is in PDF format, I can read that on the Treo, and if you try to convert a PDF file into the Palm-readable format using 16-bit color, it'll claim this is unsupported on your device, and if you do it anyway, once you get the document over to the Treo, any color pictures will not display.

I suspect this is because the Treo 300 actually has 12-bit color, not 16-bit. I had thought this was just a function of the LCD, and that internally the OS thought it was using 16-bit color, but perhaps not, since Acrobat auto-detects that you don't have 16-bit color by talking to the device during a HotSync.

So anyway, you need to use the option to reduce to 256 colors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast