Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You really are serious about reading manuals. Are you sure your middle name isn't "RTFM"?
    David
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    There are a few items that I'm surprised are not backed up by default, DatebookDB (although I guess it's just there for some kind of backward compatibility, and Datebk3HDB is the real deal?), Internet Prefs Panel, MIDI Ring Tones [...]
    As to the MIDI Ring Tones database, I asked about it on the "New Free Treo 300 Ringtones" thread and TC Ringer author Scott Gruby explained why it's unnecessary to back it up.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    As to the MIDI Ring Tones database, I asked about it on the "New Free Treo 300 Ringtones" thread and TC Ringer author Scott Gruby explained why it's unnecessary to back it up.
    And later, he discovered that the database is necessary after all.
    I have apps like
    treo300sms and varichat

will those be synced to my new treo300 without problems?

will the serial numbers still be in there or will I need to re-reg all the apps?
    After a recent factory replace, ALL my apps, including Treo300SMS and Verichat (and EVERYTHING else), resync'd just fine, INCLUDING all my various cache, registrations, hacks, prefs, everything. So - you should be fine with your apps that you're concerned about. The serial #s and reg's, for me, all came back just fine.
    I WILL say that this is the first Handspring device I've owned - previous Palm-branded devices would behave as others have indicated - only the main apps would recover fully, and no registrations of 3rd party apps, etc. Maybe HAND has improved/modified the backup functionality? I did use to own Backup Buddy, but have found it not needed with the Treo.
    So - who knows.....
    Originally posted by nrosser
    After a recent factory replace, ALL my apps, including Treo300SMS and Verichat (and EVERYTHING else), resync'd just fine, INCLUDING all my various cache, registrations, hacks, prefs, everything. So - you should be fine with your apps that you're concerned about. The serial #s and reg's, for me, all came back just fine.
    I WILL say that this is the first Handspring device I've owned - previous Palm-branded devices would behave as others have indicated - only the main apps would recover fully, and no registrations of 3rd party apps, etc. Maybe HAND has improved/modified the backup functionality? I did use to own Backup Buddy, but have found it not needed with the Treo.
    So - who knows.....
    No, Handspring has no control over whether individual Palm OS vendors set the backup bits on their programs and DBs. Luckily most vendors set the backup bits in a reasonable fashion. A few don't, and the only way to find out is to check with a program like the free FileZ. It's well worth it to run a check with this after each software install, rather than just waiting until your Treo loses power or has to be replaced, and just hoping that everything comes back.
    No hoping here - it all worked great. Confidence, not hope.
    No hoping here - it all worked great. Confidence, not hope.
    Fine, all the PDBs and PRCs you happened to have installed had reasonable settings for the backup bit. As I said, some apps and DBs don't (see the first post I made in the thread for what I lost).

If you never install any more new software, then yes, you can be confident that won't lose anything if your Treo is replaced or hard-reset, since you've already chanced it once, but if you do install anything new, it will be hope, not confidence.
    all my Blazer bookmarks came back over fine, as did my cache. I don't use Xiino.
    And I install software like mad, and the two hard resets on my Treo (one unplanned, and I did sweat that one, until, to my surprise, EVERYthing was back on, including registrations, which amazed me, based on past experience) both went fine. In fact, it was that first unplanned hard reset that led to confidence when I had to replace the unit, that that hard reset would be fine. And it was. All Blazer bookmarks, everything.

Ah - well, there was ONE thing I had to do. I <think> I had to reinstall my hacks. So there. Back to hope and not confidence.
    Ah - well, there was ONE thing I had to do. I <think> I had to reinstall my hacks. So there. Back to hope and not confidence.
    Again, it would depend on whether the particular hack developers set the backup bit or not.

All of my hacks came back, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, X-Master doesn't back up its active hack database (I assume to prevent you from getting locked out of your device were you to install a hack that crashed on startup), so you do have to manually re-enable them after a restore.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12