1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am looking for Palm software that makes it possible to hook up my Treo to a digital camera using the Hotsync cable to get pictures from the camera in my Treo. Then I want to e-mail them as attachments (with SnapperMail?) or upload them with FTP.

I have JVC GR-DRVP3E camcorder with that square, small USB connection instead of the usual flat connector.
    Last edited by reinder.rustema; 01/05/2003 at 07:17 PM.
    ReindeR
    I don't think this is possible. USB has a master/slave device arrangement, and both the Treo and a camera would be slave devices, while a PC is a master device. So PC can talk to either via USB, but Treo can't talk to camera. I found this out because I wanted to back up the Treo without using a PC, but the same problem arises.

Moreover, I couldn't figure out how to get the JPEGs onto the treo with JPEGWatchLite, so I just emailed them to myself with snappermail. (Free weekends on T-Mobile, pre-GPRS, so the long download was free.) I think the full version, JPEGWatch, makes transfer more straightforward.
    Last edited by Preston; 01/05/2003 at 07:00 PM.
    And even if it did work, with a 33mhz processor and 16 megs of ram, any respectable photo would choke the Treo in a flash!
  4.    #4  
    I was hoping to find software that can turn the Treo into a master. And you should choose small resolutions of photo's on the camera to prevent the Treo from choking. Besides, I don't intent to display the JPEGs on the screen of the Treo. This can be done on the camera. I only need the Treo to e-mail pictures using the GPRS connection.

Just files as attachments or FTP uploads. If you do each picture one by one they can each be 10Mb or more, depending on how much space you have on your Treo... But I was thinking more about connecting a ultrasmall keychain size USB camera.

So the question can now be refrased to: is there software that can turn the Treo into a 'master' in a USB connection?
    ReindeR
    one could backup the treo too!
    The only way to get a jpeg (or for that matter *any* file) onto your Treo to email that I know of is by Beaming the file via IR to SnapperMail:
    http://www.snappermail.com/support/#30

Without the .mail file renaming described in the above link a JPG will go to JpegWatch Lite, though I believe after you exit you get the option to save in RAM. JWL saves in RAM as a Palm database. (BTW, the latest version of JWL I have which we haven't distrubuted yet has a mail button that can push the JPG back to SnapperMail for emailing)

If you beam to SnapperMail it stores it in native format within its own database can you can leave it in there as a storage container. i.e. leave the files in outgoing draft messages, you can beam/open the attachment from a draft message later at anytime.

OK - it's an email app, but you can use it to store files in native format if you want. I've beamed files to an Ericsson T68i without problems.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  7.    #7  
    If infrared is the solution, I should be looking for either a camera that can send JPEGs with infrared, or a device that connects to the USB port and can beam JPEGs... Not software, but hardware.
    ReindeR
    one advantage we Treo 90 owners have is that with the SD slot and a SD card digi cam we can just take the card out of the cam, put in our Treos and look at the pictures. I was in Futureshop with my Treo and I took a picture with some HP camera, viewed the pic on my Treo and then put the same card in a HP laptop and edited the picture using Paint (That was all they had installed on the laptop). Not too mention, if they had them hooked up, I could've put the SD card into a certain HP printer and printed straight from the card...now THAT's what technology is supposed to do.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
    what about the kodak palmpix. it's a snap on camera made for a palm pilot. it's no longer made but is still sold. could one modify this for a treo? a modified cable (probably wouldn't snap directly to a treo) would easily be made, would the software work?
  10.    #10  
    If it's made for the Palm Pilot, it doesn't support USB. And USB has a slave-master construction which the older serial ports don't have, is what I understood.
    ReindeR
    i'm trying to find this out myself, the idea of a camera that can beam to the palm.
    Snapperfish, you say that snappermail can do this? do you know of a camera to use with the application?

thanks
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by snapperfish
    The only way to get a jpeg (or for that matter *any* file) onto your Treo to email that I know of is by Beaming the file via IR to SnapperMail:
    http://www.snappermail.com/support/#30

-W
    Do you know with which digital cameras I can beam pictures in the way as described in the FAQ? Or are there perhaps cheap and simple IR-devices on the market that can both read smartcards and beam? I have a JVC GRVP3 camcorder.
    ReindeR
    I have't gotten around to try it yet but I have a Prism with a MemPlug (I forget if that's the name for it). Anyway, I guess I could copy a picture from my camera to the Prism via MemoyStick and then beam it to the Treo. Or take a picture with the EyeModule.
    Originally posted by reinder.rustema

Do you know with which digital cameras I can beam pictures in the way as described in the FAQ? Or are there perhaps cheap and simple IR-devices on the market that can both read smartcards and beam? I have a JVC GRVP3 camcorder.
    No cameras I know of. The FAQ was written assuming you'd already gotten the pics from the camera and onto your laptop.

If you want a Treo + Camera only solution then you need to:

(1) get a SD/MMC camera and take some pics
    (2) get a Treo 90 and pop the memory card full of pics
    (3) rename the file on the memory card to *_jpg.mail
    (4) beam to your Treo 180/270/300
    (5) email it with SnapperMail

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by snapperfish

If you want a Treo + Camera only solution then you need to:

(1) get a SD/MMC camera and take some pics
    (2) get a Treo 90 and

-W
    Yes... I think I'll wait for a new version of the Treo 270 with memory card. Handspring, please take note!

On this website there should be a wishlist with features for the new 270 one can vote for. I am sure the memorycard will be the most wanted new feature.
    ReindeR

i'm sure there must be a cheaper alternative!

a treo camera only option that takes two treos?

Has anyone tried using the 9210 camera by eyeQ to beam over does it work with palm?

i've read it uses the Ir-TRAN-P protocol? anyone know what the treo uses?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by reinder.rustema
    Hi,

I am looking for Palm software that makes it possible to hook up my Treo to a digital camera using the Hotsync cable to get pictures from the camera in my Treo. Then I want to e-mail them as attachments (with SnapperMail?) or upload them with FTP.
    The USB-host function is necessary for this. And this will be a feature on the new Treo, great! Perhaps Handspring read this? Or my request for it by e-mail?
    ReindeR