Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Step 1: In your favorite Treo browser, go to http://www.carde.com/sms/
    Step 2: Have fun!

I was looking for a was to send direct-to-the-phone SMS (as opposed to Short Mail) and ended up coming up with a decent system. This doesn't give you anything you wouldn't have been able to do by going to http://messaing.sprintpcs.com with your Treo's browser, but Sprint's messaging site isn't exactly designed for small wireless devices like the Treo.

The URL above contains a lightweight form that submits your message to my proxy server. My proxy server submits the message to Sprint, and returns a very simple page showing the status of the submitted message. Again, nothing you couldn't do with Blazer and messaing.sprintpcs.com, but this is much faster and much easier.

Bonus points: I built a PQA to work with the same system. If you've got the web clipping libraries installed, this will let you send SMS using my proxy server without even having to run a web browser and load the the "send" page. Grab the PQA at http://www.carde.com/sms/sms.pqa

Warning: Sending SMS this way will route all of your messages through my proxy server. If this bothers you, please don't do it. I haven't really tested this stuff; you get what you pay for . I also can't guarantee that this service will be available for any period of time.

I should say that I don't want to step on any toes by making this service publically available for free. Treo300SMS does what it does very well. My solution here is a hack and shouldn't even be considered a competitor. I own and use Treo300SMS frequently, but sometimes don't want to send a Short Mail!

Enjoy, and if something didn't make sense in this message, it's because it's late and I need to sleep.

Chris
    Pretty nifty... I tried the PQA...

I just put in my father's phone number, and poof, he got the message...

No more need for putting @messaging.sprintpcs.com on the end.

Thanks in advance for the use of your proxy server. The good news is, there's probably a bazillion messages that can go through for the same bandwidth as a JPEG.

I'm sure you're going to get lots of feedback in a short amount of time...
    The PQA url is not coming up for me. Nothing but garbage on the screen.
    Right-click the link, then select "Save target as....". This will prompt you for the download.
    Originally posted by PilotChris

Hi Chris,

This looks pretty neat. Any chance you'd make the source available so that people can modify it? For instance, I'd like to modify it so that I could choose the provider and do different things based on the provider.
    Pretty good.

Except it only works for Sprint PCS phone numbers :-(
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PilotChris
    Step 2: Have fun!
    You rule! Thanks for doing this.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    405 Global Posts
    Man, this is great.

Hope you can keep it going.

P
    I'm a little confused here. SprintPCS reimburses the cost for Treo300SMS, PDAapps provides great support and works all the time; so why would I need this app? Does it do something or provide some capability Treo300SMS doesn't?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Maniac8888
    I'm a little confused here. SprintPCS reimburses the cost for Treo300SMS, PDAapps provides great support and works all the time; so why would I need this app? Does it do something or provide some capability Treo300SMS doesn't?
    Sprint does not give everyone a refund. Some people have not been able to talk sprint into the refund. This is a nice little web page that can be used from your treo or PC.

If you have treo300sms than you don't need this at all I would guess.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    ok, i'm new to this term so can somebody please explain what web clippings are, how they are used, and what kind of apps are they used for? especially for an app like this free sms, it sounds handy to have, but where do i find it? thanks
    I think I've asked this before on some forum and didn't get a reply, Does anyone know of a SMS app or web site that will send messages to Cellular One phones?

Thanks
    Tom
    Treo300SMS sends to other providers.
    How did you get Sprint to pay for the Treo SMS? I have talked to four people tonight and none knew anything of it. They did recommend going to pdapps.com to get it and one of the guys thought it was free, we all know that isn't the case. He did say HAndspring is working on updating the sms software but no idea when it will be done.
    Originally posted by Tonya
    How did you get Sprint to pay for the Treo SMS? I have talked to four people tonight and none knew anything of it. They did recommend going to pdapps.com to get it and one of the guys thought it was free, we all know that isn't the case. He did say HAndspring is working on updating the sms software but no idea when it will be done.
    I can only tell you what I did. There is a large thread around here that also discusses this very subject in great detail. You might want to do a search.

The Treo 300 Sprint Manual specifically outlines (p. 21) the procedure for receiving SMS (i.e. Short Mail) messages as provided from Handspring. Unfortunately, this doesn't work. SprintPCS knows this and this has been posted on the board for a long time. Whin I inquired why this wasn't working on my device, I of course, was told that the Treo300 didn't support this functionality and I should purchase Treo300SMS. I asked them why I should have to do this when their own documentation specifies this as a feature of the Treo300 and their only comment was "duh, I don't know." I told them I wanted to return my Treo300 for full credit and I wanted to cancel my service (past the 15 day grace period) without cancellation penality and once they did this I was also going to file a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs for false advertising a feature in the phone that they (Sprint) promote but don't offer. About 5 minutes later, a supervisor came on the line and said that they would credit my account for the $20 for Treo300SMS and an extra $10 for my trouble.

Others have gotten this same deal and some have reported having to call 2-3 times to talk to other service reps but it has happened a lot.

I have been hearing that Handspring was going to do something about this for months. I'll believe it when I see it.
    The fourth guy I talked to did a search here while I was on the phone with him and he said he couldn't find it. I was trying to find the thread while I was talking to him as well. I'll call back when I it is not so busy. I was on hold the first time for thirth minutes.
    I found the thread, of course now that I am off of the phone with them. "Getting credit for Treo300sms". I book marked it for my next phone call. Thanks.
    heres another great pqa that allows you to send sms to other carriers. Monkey Mail PQA allows you to send SMS messages from your Palm VII to a mobile phone. Currently it works with AT&T, Nextel, Sprint, and Pacific Bell. So far, I've tried it with SPrint and it works. Plus, its FREE! too bad you cant send emails lke TreoSMS though. Or at least I havent tried yet!

MonkeyMail pqa

enjoy
    I think you are on to a very useful utility. Add check boxes for Sprint, AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, cellular one ....well you get the idea and I think this could be nifty.

Gruby ?
    Has anyone else tried this out? The second time around that I'm trying out this pqa, its a little odd, because I'm sent to a sprint site to send the 1-way message. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, and the service in my area sucks so it would take me to long to test it out now. If anyone else figures it out or can give some more insight on this pqa than I have, I would like to hear about it too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast