1.    #1  
    Anyone having the problem where they sometimes get the SMS beep, but then no message comes through? I can't tell if this is happening because I am using third party software at the time. I also can't tell if the message just comes in at a later time, or if I miss that message all together.
    Anyone else experiencing this with the Treo 300?
    Thanks.
    I've found that it beeps when it recieves the signal to retrieve a shortmail, and then it goes and gets the shortmail. Sometimes it doesn't get the shortmail. Where it goes, I don't know.
    Did you load TREO300SMS?
    The PDAApps proxy has to go to the Sprint website and retrieve the shortmail at that point. Sometimes the Sprint text messaging web site is very very very very very slow, or just plain down. In these cases, it's unable to retrieve it, and thus, you never (or at least not for a very long time) get the SMS.

You can test if this is the case yourself by logging on to the sprint website and going to the text messaging section. Note that the text messaging pages seem to be handled by a different server than the accounting pages etc.
  5.    #5  
    Yes i have Treo SMS300. So you're saying that it is not 100% reliable, that sometimes messages will not be delivered? So I paid for a program I shouldn't have had to pay for in the first place, and some messages get lost? Funk that, that is pathetic.
    Originally posted by rvach
    Yes i have Treo SMS300. So you're saying that it is not 100% reliable, that sometimes messages will not be delivered? So I paid for a program I shouldn't have had to pay for in the first place, and some messages get lost? Funk that, that is pathetic.
    I'm not sure you are reading the previous post. This isn't particularly an issue with PDAapps. It is much more an issue with SprintPCS. Their messaging server is terribly unreliable but it is getting better. Chances are, if you are not getting your short-mail messages, the Sprint server is non-functional not the PDAapps server. I think PDAapps has had one or two server outages in the last three months and it wasn't very long.

Certainly, this is one of the problems when there are so many intermediate servers involved.

BTW, there is no such thing as 100% reliability.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Maniac8888

BTW, there is no such thing as 100% reliability.
    I'd settle for 99.9% reliability.
    I know what you mean but that doesn't even happen with voice (at least on my handsets).
    hi, i got the beep but no message a few times on Sat. my husband and I were testing our short mail. he used tmobile. so I use treosms and I got the beep but no message was retrieved. then later in the afternoon when I received another sms I got them all. this is definately a sprint issue. thanks to treosms I can respond to sms! a function that sprint should provide.
    FWIW, sometimes if I send myself an SMS it breaks the logjam and I get the ones that didn't show up.
    actually that's what i did and i got all the delayed ones. thought i'd send myself one to see it was working. good minds think alike.
    An associate of mine and myself often request a "push" message from the other when we don't completely receive the SMS that was sent. Just "one of those things."

It seems to happen to me when I have a low signal strength.
    Working smoke detectors save lives.
    I've had the same problem happened to me many times. When you receive a shortmail from Sprint, Treo300sms connects to Sprint shortmail server and tries to retrieve the shortmail for you and it will beep again once it has done so. The problem is when signal is bad or connection gets dropped during the shortmail download Treo300sms will just give up and do nothing. So the next time you get a shortmail, Treo300sms just download all the shortmail that's on the Sprint server so that's why we end up getting the delayed shortmails all at once. We should all ask pdaapps to upgrade Treo300sms with the option to retry when and if the connection is dropped during a shortmail download.