Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I called Sprint again this morning, and after about 45 minutes ended up getting a $5 credit. Better than nothing, but probably not worth the time I spent on the phone last night and today. I don't understand how other people are getting the reimbursement so easily. Oh well.
    This is quite a bump from a thread that's 8 months old.

When I first called about it, the CSR tried to tell me to set up my e-mail settings. The second she said POP and SMTP I stopped her in her tracks and said it has nothing to do with e-mail. I said how the Sprint website makes no mention of Shortmail not working and the Treo's manual EXPLICITLY states that using the built in SMS app will work. I said it's false advertising and I don't want a cumbersome work around through e-mail or a web browser. She then said there are 3rd party apps to make it work. Then I said I shouldn't have to pay for it, and then I got my $20 credit. The call took about 20 minutes after 10 minutes of hold time.
    Just for fun....here is my experence.

Called Customer support (CS) who quickly told me that text messaging was a tech support problem...was sent to tech support. I told the nice Tech support guy that I was not able to recieve text messages from other mobile phones. (recieve some message stating to go to a web site...of which Blazer can not look at.) Tech support told me that a "free" third party app was avalable for download at www.pdaapps.com. I told the person that it was not free and that it cost ~$20. Was sent back to CS, who did some "searching". (Otherwise known as please hold...listen to music) She came back and told me that I could go to Handspring.com and down load Treo300sms for "Free". (At which point I started laughing) I told her that not only was Treo300sms not free, but one could not download it from Handspring. (I have never found it there...maybe I missed it.)

I would like to note that up to this point I have not asked for Sprint to pay for Treo300sms or even mentioned Treo300sms, except to mention that it was not free. I have only asked why am I unable to recieve SMS messages from other phones. Sprint was the people that brought up the Treo300sms third party app. (this is the look how holy I am section of my story. )

On with the story... placed back on hold and some how sent back to Tech support. New guy tells me that there is a difference between Short Mail and Text Messaging. And that the Treo 300 would not do Short Mail and that no where in its documents does it say that it will do Short Mail Messaging. So, I asked what then is Text Messaging? After some very confusing stuff...which I am not even sure what he said...I came to the conclusion that I was not going to win the battle with Tech Support. (Note: He claimed that SMS messages from other carriers were Short Mail.)

At this point I hung up with Sprint to cool my jets...I could tell that I was starting to get a little peeved during my conversation with Tech support. Tonight...I try customer service again.

Last, I did a little searching on SprintPCS.com. It appears that Short Mail is a wireless web application. Text messaging is a Vision application. (and I am not total sure I am correct on that) So I would have to agree that the Treo 300 does not recieve Short mail...since I am not even signed up for Wireless Web. Of course this begs the question...what in the heck is Text messaging through Vision?

So, what do I want??? To be able to recieve Text Messages...what ever the heck that is!!!!

Scott
    I have been following this thread re: credit for lack of SMS application. It has been mentioned that on page 52 of the manual that it mentions "Sending" SMS. I have copied that page from the online manual at Handsprings Web Site (there is noting on page 52 of Sprints printed manual). I called Sprint and they know nothing about credits. Any thoughts. Here is the applicable info that I found. I'm confused. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Irv

SMS
    SMS provides a way for you to receive short text messages from
    other people who use mobile phones and subscribe to PCS Vision
    services.
    In SMS, you can do the following:
    Receive short text messages.
    Read incoming messages directly from the Inbox.
    File messages you receive and arrange them by category.
    To open SMS:
    1. Press Option .
    2. Press PhoneBook .
    SMS.opens and the Inbox view appears.
    Tip: You can also open SMS by tapping the SMS icon in the
    Applications Launcher.
    Originally posted by ishiffrin
    I have been following this thread re: credit for lack of SMS application. It has been mentioned that on page 52 of the manual that it mentions "Sending" SMS. I have copied that page from the online manual at Handsprings Web Site (there is noting on page 52 of Sprints printed manual). I called Sprint and they know nothing about credits. Any thoughts. Here is the applicable info that I found. I'm confused. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Irv

SMS
    SMS provides a way for you to receive short text messages from
    other people who use mobile phones and subscribe to PCS Vision
    services.
    In SMS, you can do the following:
    Receive short text messages.
    Read incoming messages directly from the Inbox.
    File messages you receive and arrange them by category.
    To open SMS:
    1. Press Option .
    2. Press PhoneBook .
    SMS.opens and the Inbox view appears.
    Tip: You can also open SMS by tapping the SMS icon in the
    Applications Launcher.
    The bottom line is that Shortmail doesn't work at all unless you get Treo300SMS or try to set up e-mail or go through a browser. I just told them nicely that I pay for Shortmail and Sprint's website and the manual says messaging works. I said it didn't and I shouldn't have to pay for an application to correct a problem that they or Handspring is responsible for. After being put on hold for a few minutes, I got my credit. If they won't give you a credit, politely accept it, and hang up. Then try back later and hopefully you'll get someone else who will help.
    Thanks for reply. What I am getting at is that I cannot find any reference to SMS and that it is unable to send a message like some referred to in the manual.. if I had a specific mention of that ability, I could pin them down... The passage from the manual does NOT speak to sending SMS.
    Originally posted by ishiffrin
    Thanks for reply. What I am getting at is that I cannot find any reference to SMS and that it is unable to send a message like some referred to in the manual.. if I had a specific mention of that ability, I could pin them down... The passage from the manual does NOT speak to sending SMS.
    I know it doesn't. In fact, even if it did, Sprint doesn't have SMS, they have Shortmail. You don't technically have a case where you can say the manual explicitly says it. That's why you need to get a CSR that has half a heart and realizes that anyone would expect a Sprint phone to be compatible with Shortmail. If they get technical about it, they're right, it doesn't say "Shortmail" works, just that you can receive SMS and the website shows "Messaging" under Vision capabilities. I guess I was lucky to get someone to credit me without much of a hassle on my first call.
    Just an update; After being transferred several times, a tech service guy came on the line and attempted to explain the difference between text messaging and short mail. I told him nicely (as nice as I could after an hour of this) that he was correct. My manual says nothing about short mail...it states that the Treo 300 can recieve SMS messages. (Notice that this is a very fine line between the two...and in my printed manual that came with the phone on page 21, it clearly stated "Receiving SMS messages".) He finally gave up and asked what can he do to fix the problem. I said if Sprint does not have a fix to the problem then please purchase the 3rd party app to fix the problem. He agreed.

Now, was it worth the hassel...NO! The only good thing that came of this was that the very first customer service person I talked to changed the start time for my nights and weekends to 8pm instead of the 9pm that I did have.

ishiffrin: Note that I used the printed manual that came with my Treo 300 to prove my point. But even then, expect a lot of double talk...i.e. text messaging is one thing and short mail is another. Also, be forwarned that several of the techs and customer support people seemed to know of the problem and have been told about Treo300sms. I was told twice that the program was out there and would fix the problem...and was told that it was free. All I can say is good luck.

On a side note: every Sprint person I talked to was very nice. Almost all knew of Treo300sms would fix the problem. But none were willing to give the service credit (till the last guy...wonder how higgh up was he?). (Hey, giving away money is bad for business!!!)

Scott
    Hi folks,

For some reason, the technical support representative (not CSR) explained how to use ShortMail. After hanging up, I could not get it to work. SMS is terrible.

Just call, express your frustration, and get the credit. You deserve it. I had to bounce about a few times, between CSR and Tech support ( I seem to have too much time on my hands), but the credit should come.

Tell them -- "I already spoke to a tech. rep, and it does not work."

Sprint has messed up my recent invoice, so it is not clear whether the credit applied, but a rep. agreed to pass the $20.00 credit.

Good luck.
    I use VeriChat by PDA Apps. this free program enables me to have AIM, yahoo I'm and MSN Messenger running all the time, at the same time. Even when I'm in a different application my messages alert me. Check out htt://www.pdaapps.com
    Originally posted by kzoojeff
    I use VeriChat by PDA Apps. this free program enables me to have AIM, yahoo I'm and MSN Messenger running all the time, at the same time. Even when I'm in a different application my messages alert me. Check out htt://www.pdaapps.com
    That has nothing to do with SMS or Shortmail, that's what Treo300SMS is for. VeriChat is strictly a chatting program.

VeriChat is NOT free. You can download the demo free and it will work for 14 days. After that, it's $25 to register the software and the first year of service is free. After that, it's $20 per year for the service.
    ohh i was gonna say that verichat isn't free until letsgoflyer beats me to it...lol
    Originally posted by laney
    ohh i was gonna say that verichat isn't free until letsgoflyer beats me to it...lol
    I recently got a Treo 300 thru the great deal that Handspring has but have been unable to get SMS working, well partially.
    I did some surfing and found a small free program for sending SMS messages to other Sprint PCS phones, the one at http://i500.nopdesign.com/apps.esiml .
    Anyway, I was able to send a message to a friend but I cannot receive any SMS messages.
    He even tried going to the sprintpcs site and sending one to me from there, no luck.
    I tried sitting on hold with Sprint and going thru a lot of crap with them but they ended up telling me I cannot do SMS. Now this is really funny because the friend I sent the message to works at Handspring and was using a Sprint enabled Treo 300. When I told Sprint this I was "accidentally" disconnected.

Is there anything I can do to get this damn thing to recieve SMS msgs?

Thanks,
    JCS
    Treo 300 with Sprint
    Originally posted by jcs
    I recently got a Treo 300 thru the great deal that Handspring has but have been unable to get SMS working, well partially.
    I did some surfing and found a small free program for sending SMS messages to other Sprint PCS phones, the one at http://i500.nopdesign.com/apps.esiml .
    Anyway, I was able to send a message to a friend but I cannot receive any SMS messages.
    He even tried going to the sprintpcs site and sending one to me from there, no luck.
    I tried sitting on hold with Sprint and going thru a lot of crap with them but they ended up telling me I cannot do SMS. Now this is really funny because the friend I sent the message to works at Handspring and was using a Sprint enabled Treo 300. When I told Sprint this I was "accidentally" disconnected.

Is there anything I can do to get this damn thing to recieve SMS msgs?

Thanks,
    JCS
    If you read the posts is this thread, you'll see that we've been talking about Treo300SMS from www.pdaapps.com. In fact that's what the thread is about. That will work for you.
    As I said in my last post my friend has a treo 300 with sprint and no other special software installed and he got the sms message just fine. Now grant it the built in one won't let you reply or anything special but he could at least get the msgs. With mine I don't even get the msgs at all.

I am going to check out the treo300sms with the trial version but was hoping someone had gotten the version of the phone to work.
    My friend says his just worked, no special setup or anything.

Thanks again,
    JCS
    Treo 300 with Sprint
    Originally posted by jcs
    As I said in my last post my friend has a treo 300 with sprint and no other special software installed and he got the sms message just fine. Now grant it the built in one won't let you reply or anything special but he could at least get the msgs. With mine I don't even get the msgs at all.

I am going to check out the treo300sms with the trial version but was hoping someone had gotten the version of the phone to work.
    My friend says his just worked, no special setup or anything.

Thanks again,
    JCS
    I don't know anyone that's gotten Shortmail to work without Treo300SMS. If it works for him, he should consider himself lucky.
    Hello Folks,

I have had my Treo since last October. An Early Adopter.

I have been using the SMS Function as soon as I found Treo Central.

Before this I was using a Two way pager to receive and send my e-mail notifications from www.aa.com/notify.

I am doing this now from my Treo 300. It is how I keep my wife notified when I am arriving and where I am arriving when I am on my way home from the road. It is great. I have memoried the function keys and am able to forward my notify messages quickly and easily to my wife. I can also send short messages to her as well.

Once I discovered it worked best by sending messages to an e-mail address. I use my cellphone number @messaging.sprintpcs.com. The messages appear on my phone. If they come from another SMS user on Sprint I have been able to respond. If they come from another SMS user on any other network I have to send the reply to their number at their network via e-mail to respond. i.e. ##########@mobile.att.net. Then they are able to directly respond to me.

Hope this helps. I have made good use of this. I have all my hotmail.com notifications and message headers come to my phone. This way I know when an important e-mail arrives and I can quickly go online to see my message in its entirety.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day,

Cary
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12