1.    #1  
    hey there,
    at work i have a feature on my phonemail system that will call a pager and leave a number if i get a high priority mail...essentially i use it to notify me on my pager if something important is going down at work. my question is, can i get this to work on my treo 300? is there a number that can be dialed (aside from my own cell number) where i can have a page or sms message left for me? any info would be great. thanks!
    I've got the same system at the bank I work for.

I don't think there's a way to get yourself an SMS or page, but why not just program the system to call your phone...

The phone number being something like xxx-xxx-xxxx,,,2,12345#

Theoretically, it would be like a modem dialing your phone number, pausing for a bit (the commas), and entering a page of 12345#. I suppose if you just put 2,1 then it would send your work's outbound phone line as the numeric page.

You could also just have it call your phone, ignore the call, and have your system dial a null string once it connects (it'll be talking to voicemail once it does, right?), and just by checking your caller ID you'll notice that you've got a message from your office.

Hope this helps...
    Unfortunately the idea of having the system call your phone won't work well simply for a matter of timing elements. Suppose your phone is off, and the call instantly gets forwarded to voicemail - there is one timing aspect. Now, suppose your phone is on and you elect to ignore the call (based on the incoming number). The time factor of letting your phone ring before reverting to VM will be longer. The timing of the pre-programmed digits of the auto-paging dialer from the VM will be completely off.

Nextel has a method of dialing into a "paging" system. A person can dial a set number for their service area, and get a regular beep (just like a paging system). It allowed users to type in (or phone systems to auto-dial) a number routine to have a numeric SMS message sent to the phone. I have no idea if Sprint has this feature or capability or not.
    You can call Sprint and see if they have a direct number to call your voicemail/page feature.
    I'm with Cingular and I use this feature religiously with my work voicemail. As I'm in outside sales, I set up my voicemail to send me an SMS message whenever I get a voicemail. It works great.

For all you Cingular customers reading this thread, the number for doing this is the area code of your cell phone , the prefix of your cell phone number followed by 6789 (xxx) xxx-6789
    At least in SoCalifornia it works this way.
    Originally posted by RBMTS2000
    Unfortunately the idea of having the system call your phone won't work well simply for a matter of timing elements. Suppose your phone is off, and the call instantly gets forwarded to voicemail - there is one timing aspect.
    True, but if it was from the work line you knew was the outbound notification, you wouldn't want to answer the call--it'd cost you! So, set the dialing to work with the 'instant' voice-mail (if your phone is off).

Plus, most phone systems wait for a tone before sending a page--so it might not even send numbers if it doesn't think it got a proper response (your voicemail message and/or the automated female voice)... But if your phone is off, chances are you could really care less about that email from work anyhow. My phone and wireless mode are never off--but I know there are some people in this world with better plans.
    I don't know what email system you use, but I use Microsoft Entourage (the Mac version of Outlook) and have a "Rule" written that if certain emails come in to "Forward or Redirect" to XXXXXXXXXX@messaging.sprintpcs.com

This sends me a SMS with the first part of the email depending on the length. Maybe not the best way, but it works.

Never mind, I just read the post again.
  7.    #7  
    thanks for the suggestions....i considered putting pauses in the page string, but didnt want to deal with it calling my actual phone....mabye one of these days ill get around to calling sprint and asking them about it.....thanks again