1.    #1  
    Okay, get this. I start dialing a radio station here in Vegas, and just as I hit the last number, I realize they've got a # 4 digit number for free calls into the request line. This, however is not my problem--I look down at the keypad because I cannot touch-type the backspace key, and I notice that there's a "Fatal Exception - Reset" on the screen. I'm stumped.

I take the phone out of the wonderful Sprint leather case to access the reset hole, because of course the 'reset' button on the screen fails to reset the device, and unscrew my pen, perform the reset, and attempt to debug:

Phone back on in wireless mode, at the speed dial buttons. Dialing the number (7911075) nets the SAME result. Fun, huh? More resets and trials: 791107, and then press that 5 to get the error. Upon further testing, I even got a MemoryMgr.c 4450 or whatever error (the odd duck), and even just typing the 79 got me the error.

This is all from the speed dial menu, entering it in the 'phone-keypad' style menu netted no problems. The numbers 791 correspond to BMY, and I have no contacts that are b.m. or m.b. fashion (first inital, last--or visa versa)...

Entering random numbers does not duplicate the problem. Numbers with 911 don't. Numbers starting with 7 don't. But, numbers starting with 79 occasionally, and always when doing the full number.

How fun! No other numbers I have in my phone book start with 791, and it's not that common of a prefix here in Vegas, so I'm not worried, especially knowing I can just go to the Dial screen, so it doesn't have to guess what I'm trying to do.

Any suggestions? I tried with hacks on and off (I only have the caps one anyhow), and wireless mode on and off. All resulted in the same funny error.

Thanks guys.
    Crash is the greatest for figuring out what's causing problems.

http://www.dseifert.de/crash/

It's also cool because it can be set to auto-reboot after a few seconds. Then you just go into crashlog and see the error.
  3.    #3  
    That feature is very cool.

However, the logging leaves a little bit to be desired. The cause for my problem?

"Fatal Exception while running Phone"

But, it is SO nifty to have the thing reset in 5 seconds, and a cool picture of a mushroom cloud to boot! (err, no pun intended)...
    Originally posted by hocus703
    However, the logging leaves a little bit to be desired. The cause for my problem?

"Fatal Exception while running Phone"
    Normally a Fatal Exception screen doesn't say which app. So from that standpoint it's awesome! Perhaps there was a technical reason why Palm made the Fatal Exception screen different (i.e. doesn't show app) than the other errors (which show the app).
  5.    #5  
    591-156 also does the same thing... Great... But, I must admit, seeing a mushroom cloud shortly before my phone resets is ALMOST worth it all...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    do you have it plugged in to you car charger? Have you tried a hotsync and then a hard reset and then another hotsync?

These are just ideas........ have you installed any new software lately?

Let me know what you find.....
    Treo 300 Owner since DEC '02
    XM Owner since Aug '02
    Originally posted by hocus703
    (7911075)
    FWIW, I dialed that number and didn't have any problems. I hung up after a couple rings. Then a lady called me back from her caller ID. So, even though I'm in Austin, TX, there's nothing particular to "791" forcing the phone to crash.
    David
  8.    #8  
    Well, I know it's probably my-phone specific... My father and stepmother have Treo 300's too, and theirs work.

No, I haven't done a hard-reset and hotsync--it's working fine apart from that, and... I'm scared to.

And, I install software almost on a daily basis.

I'm just wondering why it does this. Then I can fix it. I doubt it has much to do with any external program. What I know probably happens is in the search for the name or number from the speed dial screen (figuring out if I'm dialing a phone number, or entering a name), it just goes into its fun little error mode... One of TWO error modes, actually. Strange, huh?
    The numbers 791 correspond to BMY, and I have no contacts that are b.m. or m.b. fashion (first inital, last--or visa versa)...
    You may be on to something. Try making dummy entries for users such as "Big Mama" and "Mo Betta" and another with a 791-xxxx number. Perhaps you're getting some kind of 'divide by zero' error when the search is coming up empty handed.
    David
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by drw
    Try making dummy entries for users such as "Big Mama" and "Mo Betta"
    I created said dummy entries. Worked fine after that. So, I don't want a phonebook full of dummy entries, right? I got rid of them. Dialed the number and it worked. And again. Then, I hit just a 7, and it locks--no fatal though.

Then after the reset, 791 fatals it.

Hmmm...

So, I either live with dummy entries or going to the dial screen if necessary.

I do have contacts named
    B.M. (79)
    J.M. (59)
    but no B.My---
    or J.My---

or visa-versa.

I type JM, and it shows the contact, hit a 1, and it goes to the dial screen. Next number is a blammo--whether on screen or through the keyboard. Same for BM, etc.

Now, it really gets weird. I wanted to Enter a contact, the 79110 equivelant. Of course, when you type 79110 a little symbol menu pops up, and hit any key, I GET A FATAL. Wow.

So, I put a contact BMYY and JMYY and everything is fine... Sigh...

UPDATE:

Well, I hit the paperclip icon in SuperUtility, and held down the power button on top. So, I succombed to the Hard-Reset, and so far things are working. I deleted my profile directory, and am selectively installing each application I had installed. So, I'll be able to tell in a few minutes if one of those is causing said crash...
    Last edited by hocus703; 01/06/2003 at 02:23 AM.