Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I thought the TREO 300 was supposed to be "always on". After an hour or two, when I try to get back on through Blazer, it says "Do you want to connect to the internet?" and then goes through the sign on process. I never turn off the phone though!!! Is this how it works, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!!
    Originally posted by amakh007
    I thought the TREO 300 was supposed to be "always on". After an hour or two, when I try to get back on through Blazer, it says "Do you want to connect to the internet?" and then goes through the sign on process. I never turn off the phone though!!! Is this how it works, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!!
    Wireless mode may be on, but the data mode is not necessarily on. There are 2 places to check for this -

This first part should take care of your question...

in Blazer under Blazer Preferences in the Options Menu, uncheck the box that says Disconnect on Exit. (you can also uncheck the "Ask before establishing ..." option as well so it never asks the connect question & just goes for the new page)

Staying continually connected to an active data stream is a huge battery drain from what I've seen so far, so I don't use this next step, but it is available...

In Preferences under Network, go to the Preferences choice under the Options menu and put a check in the box to connect whenever wireless mode is powered on.

I am pretty sure that when you close Blazer it puts the data mode on standby, so your battery drain should be minimal in that respect.
    Sprint automatically disconnects you from data after 2 hours of inactivity, also. So, if you use data and then an hour later use it again, you shouldn't have to connect. But if you wait more than two hours, you will probably have to reconnect.

Still, it's not that big of a deal since it only takes about 6 seconds to connect again.
    Originally posted by kayden75

Staying continually connected to an active data stream is a huge battery drain from what I've seen so far, so I don't use this next step, but it is available...
    I think it depends on the applications you're using for data. I only use Mark/Space Mail (latest beta) and Blazer and at the end of the day, my battery has only gone down may 1/4 - 1/2 with checking mail periodically (a few times an hour), checking some websites, and making a few voice calls. If the data apps don't properly shutdown the connection (green arrows should turn gray within 15-20 seconds after disconnect), the battery will drain.
    Originally posted by sgruby

I think it depends on the applications you're using for data. I only use Mark/Space Mail (latest beta) and Blazer and at the end of the day, my battery has only gone down may 1/4 - 1/2 with checking mail periodically (a few times an hour), checking some websites, and making a few voice calls. If the data apps don't properly shutdown the connection (green arrows should turn gray within 15-20 seconds after disconnect), the battery will drain.
    The same holds true for me with OCCASIONAL usage. But if I am on Blazer hopping from site to site and page to page for a while, it seems to drain my battery really fast. That's what I was attempting to get across when I said ACTIVE - I guess I wasn't too clear.

I don't use my browser or email the second I pick up my phone in the AM (I have it set to turn on wireless at 630AM) so I really don't need it to connect to the internet until later in the day when I'm good and ready for it. The signal isn't too great where I have my phone at night, so rather than having the data signal keep trying to connect with wireless mode, I just leave the option off.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I don't use my browser or email the second I pick up my phone in the AM (I have it set to turn on wireless at 630AM) so I really don't need it to connect to the internet until later in the day when I'm good and ready for it. The signal isn't too great where I have my phone at night, so rather than having the data signal keep trying to connect with wireless mode, I just leave the option off.
    Thanks so much for the info! I learn new things every day. By the way, how do you get the phone to activate on at 0630 (or any time)????

The same holds true for me with OCCASIONAL usage. But if I am on Blazer hopping from site to site and page to page for a while, it seems to drain my battery really fast. That's what I was attempting to get across when I said ACTIVE - I guess I wasn't too clear.

I also have pretty weak coverage at home, but I don't notice the drain. I have wireless mode set to come on at 8 am and connect to the data network. I've been in a few different cities in the last week with varying coverage and haven't seen a battery drain. Maybe I'm just lucky or I run apps that work well.
    Originally posted by amakh007

Thanks so much for the info! I learn new things every day. By the way, how do you get the phone to activate on at 0630 (or any time)????
    TreoTools
    Originally posted by sgruby

If the data apps don't properly shutdown the connection (green arrows should turn gray within 15-20 seconds after disconnect), the battery will drain.
    Can you say more about this. I've noticed the green arrows turning gray and back again, but couldn't figure out what that means.
    Originally posted by zosomagnus

Can you say more about this. I've noticed the green arrows turning gray and back again, but couldn't figure out what that means.
    If the arrows are green, the data connection is active and using extra battery power. If the arrows are gray, the data connection is dormant and shouldn't be using extra power. Properly written data apps will turn the arrows green when transmitting data and then the arrows will go back to gray within 20 seconds of the app shutting down the data connection. If the arrows spontaneously go back to green, there is either an app you don't know about connecting to the network or something didn't properly shutdown the data connection. As I mentioned, I only run 2 data apps and things have been running smoothly.
    Another reason (and probably the main one) that you're seeing the 'signing on, established, etc' stuff is that you keep losing the data connection - due, I would say, to Sprint's unintentional data drop on the network side. What I mean by that long and too-complex sentence is that you're losing connection not by any timeout or other parameter, just that the network seems to have problems keeping the data connection up. There have been a bunch of threads on this, but the bottom line is that many other folks have also had this same thing happen. For me, life was fine from August, when I got the Treo, to just before Thanksgiving, when all of a sudden, my data would drop all the time. It has actually gotten better since Xmas (thanks Santa), but still - I see no rhyme or reason why or why not the data connection will stay, or not.
    That's what I think.