Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Sorry to derail yet another thread
    Heh heh heh.

To bring it back on topic.. yesterday I was trying to show my friend the cool ringtone I had, and everytime I turned the device off, my GGM would start doing a mail pop (I have it SMS triggered). Argh.. I wish the voice would take priority.
    A few days ago just after HotSync'ing my dead battery Treo back to life, I made a voice call. Of course during the call all my pending SMS messages (a day's worth of email notifications) started coming through one after another. When they'd come through, they'd beep, and this would cut off the voice call audio for the duration of the beep, so I couldn't hear the person I was talking to until they finished coming through.

Now that I think about it, though, I guess I could have flicked the "speaker off" switch to stop the beeps.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Of course during the call all my pending SMS messages (a day's worth of email notifications) started coming through one after another. When they'd come through, they'd beep, and this would cut off the voice call audio for the duration of the beep, so I couldn't hear the person I was talking to until they finished coming through.
    I put a test in my cron job to make sure only one SMS is sent until the device does a POP. Though I found that sometimes the SMSs won't arrive on the device in a very timely manner.. so I also do an SMS resend after an hour. <sigh> hopefully the SMS network will get better in the future.
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    GSM/GPRS devices are a little better than 1xRTT devices in this respect. I believe that with them, you can receive incoming calls even if you are currently receiving/transmitting data. (I take it this was your experience with the Treo 180, SpecRacer?) And with "class A" GPRS devices (none of which existed yet, last time I checked), you can have data and voice going simultaneously. I believe successors to CDMA2000 1xRTT are to add this latter capability as well (not sure if there'll be an in-between step adding the former capability).
    Oops -- need to clarify a statement I made above. As explained on this page on Symbian's site about GPRS, it's only class B devices that can receive incoming calls during data transfer. Class C GPRS devices are just like 1xRTT devices -- no incoming calls during data transfer. (And class A devices are as I described above -- simultaneous voice + data transmission.)

Presumably most or all current GPRS PDAs are class B.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    The Basejet product comes darn close to Blackberry email.

In theory it is near identical. In reality, they have a bug that is explicit with Treo 300 SMS function. WIth other Treo's it sends an SMS message that tells basejet to syncronize when you have new mail. You don't need exchange, just outlook.

Of course that means you only get your mail as frequently as you have outlook checking.

However, exchange is a big fat overpriced bloated pig of an email program compared to internet hosted anyway.

The problem is that Basejet is having a problem getting sprint's sms to trigger it, so I have to fallback to scheduled checks (every 15 minutes for me) which is more than enough. They claim they should have the issue fixed soon though.

As far as I know, though, blackberry sucks because it can't view HTML formated email and if their is a web link in it, it is pretty useless as well. Basejet does a great job with HTML email (much better than snappermail).
    Mark F Chinsky
    Yes,
    Emails are worth 50 dollars per month but don't forget
    that with the treo you also get a Palm OS, Internet access, Cell phone, store excel doc's on your device and all kinds of features and I beleave that you can have that all for at least 45 dollars per month....

You can't beat that ...
    Hmmm, I am bit late to this post but I thought might be worth mentioning. I was using the Treo as an Internet connect for my laptop to send a file to someone using W Modem.

While I was doing this my phone rang (vibrated annoying loudly actually), this knocked me off my connection.

I was under the assumption that using the 300 this way was like a "persistent" connection, am I assuming incorrectly here? I am not positive if I was actually sending data at the point.

Does WModem handle data/voice priority differently?

I am not really concerned, I just thought it might be interesting info..
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    If the phone rang, your data connection was inactive. Depending on the circumstances (but most likely), this will cause your data connection to be broken, requiring a reconnect (most people will do this manually; a few pieces of software will do this for you automatically).

And Sprint's service is best described as "always sometimes on" (although, for one brief shining moment last fall, it actually was "always on"). Depending on where you live and time of day, disconnects will also happen "at random", perhaps as often as every five minutes.

- m
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123