1.    #1  
    I have a friend who is interested in a 270, but he'd like to know if the 270 can do polyphonic ring tones. Can nyone help me?
    The treo 270 is not capable of polyphonic ringtones.
    Only the treo 300 is.
  3.    #3  
    thanks
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    The treo 270 is not capable of polyphonic ringtones.
    Only the treo 300 is.
    Whi is this so? And why have we 180 & 270 customers been shortchanged on this?

Sanjay
    Originally posted by Sanjay

Whi is this so? And why have we 180 & 270 customers been shortchanged on this?

Sanjay
    Why is the earth round??

Such is life!
    Why is the earth round??

Such is life! [/B]
    Very funny. But I was looking for a more practical answer. Something that would put mor light on whether it is some technical issues which are responsible for this or just that we (Treo 180/270 users) have been shortchanged.

Sanjay
    Well, your more practical answer is that the treo 300 uses a different type of ringer/speaker and tone manager than the 270 does. I wouldn't say the we were short changed! As time goes on and technology improves so do feature sets on cell phones!

If you bought an Audi A8 and than Audi launched their A8L, do you think that Audi short changed you because the A8L has a longer wheel base and probably handles better than the A8??
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Well, your more practical answer is that the treo 300 uses a different type of ringer/speaker and tone manager than the 270 does.
    No, not exactly. That would mean it's just a software issue, when it's not.
    The difference between the CDMA and the GSM versions, in a simple way, is that in the CDMA (300) Treo, the phone chip itself plays the tones, and is capable of playing polyphonic ones. Since the phone component can access the phone speaker (the one conversations come out of), it uses it to output the sounds.
    The GSM chips don't ring, they just "ask" PalmOS to ring for them. Since the PalmOS can NOT access the speaker (only the piezo "speaker", which can only play one sound at a time), the GSM Treos can't output polyphonic ringtones.
    Originally posted by spyder

No, not exactly. That would mean it's just a software issue, when it's not.
    The difference between the CDMA and the GSM versions, in a simple way, is that in the CDMA (300) Treo, the phone chip itself plays the tones, and is capable of playing polyphonic ones. Since the phone component can access the phone speaker (the one conversations come out of), it uses it to output the sounds.
    The GSM chips don't ring, they just "ask" PalmOS to ring for them. Since the PalmOS can NOT access the speaker (only the piezo "speaker", which can only play one sound at a time), the GSM Treos can't output polyphonic ringtones.
    Okay, I'm good with that!
    Thanks to you both for the answer. Although I still feel that we have been short changed or maybe it was just short sightedness on the part of Handspring to not have included this feature in the 180/270

Sanjay
    Hi, Spyder,

I have been trying to get the Polyphonic ring tones for my Treo 270 and with no luck. Thanks for your knowledge and info. But is there any possibility of modify the Treo 270 to make this work. Your valuable knowledge is appreciated. Thanks.
    Originally posted by tumbler
    Hi, Spyder,

I have been trying to get the Polyphonic ring tones for my Treo 270 and with no luck. Thanks for your knowledge and info. But is there any possibility of modify the Treo 270 to make this work. Your valuable knowledge is appreciated. Thanks.
    Well... Theoretically, it should be possible. At least one heavy modification would be needed: A hardware one; the regular palm speaker can only play one sound at a time, so a better speaker would be necessary. Also, the normal Palm MIDI sequencer wouldn't do. Something like http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/~rpointon/pilot/serial.html would be necessary... There have been pluggable MIDI modules for Palm in the past (like http://www.swivelsystems.com/products/sg20.html), so maybe one will show up for the Treos (but I doubt it)
    On top of that, the software which plays the alarms/ringtones in the Treo would have to support multi-voice MIDI, but I think Ringo already does that for the Treo 300
    Hi, Spyder,

Thanks for your detail input I'll let you know if I have the gut to modify my Treo 270.

Tumbler