Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I love this site - it's the best one out there for a new Sprint Treo 300 user who liked the simplicity of the Palm and is a bit overwelmed by the complexity of the Treo.

Second, it would be awesome if there was some way to categorize all of the threads under the Sprint Treo 300 category. I know for those of us who are technically challenged, it would be wonderful to be able to access (easily) all of those "treo for dummies" posts that have wonderful instructions, tips, and techniques.

Then, once we get the hang of things we could delve into some of the more technical and/or random posts. I frequently have to search for posts that I've read to re-read the suggestions/ instructions that were helpful. (Unfortunately, it usually takes more than one reading to get some of this stuff.

There is probably an easier way to bookmark the useful posts, but there are so many out there that it might be more effective to have them grouped.

Thoughts?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    one comment i would make after my time here is that it would be hard, though not impossible if the categories were broad enough i guess. the reason is that many of the discussions start as one subject but move into others in the same thread, so you might well find info on several subjects.

also, in looking through thread titles, and the activity numbers (which indicate which ones are seeing a lot of action) i have read about problems i did not know i had or software i did not know existed. if i was only looking in one category, i might have missed out.

i think that might be why they leave it the way it is with a search tool.

random thoughts...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    another n00b that doesnt wanna spend time reading anything he doesnt have to
    Originally posted by quake8
    another n00b that doesnt wanna spend time reading anything he doesnt have to
    That's a problem? Frankly I (and perhaps most people?) agree that reading the same posts over and over from different people is needless.
    i tend to agree, i have just worked on making it work best for me, for instance by bookmarking specific threads that i am interested in, and making the best use of shortcuts on the system like 'go to first unread post' and the little arrow that takes you to the last post in a thread.

i also use a great tabbed browser and i have several tabs set just for specific threads or sections that i follow. in that way i sort of accomplish what i want.

happy new year all
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    90% of the stuff I have picked up is in articles that are on other subjects,
    Originally posted by quake8
    90% of the stuff I have picked up is in articles that are on other subjects,
    i agree. stuff i never even knew i WANTED to know!!
    Plug:

I agree with Aaron that a well-designed tab browser can really help in this regard. I use Phoenix, which is a beta of a standalone browser from mozilla.org. Not a great choice if you browse a lot of multimedia sites (I still use IE for those), but awesome for managing the web. Phoenix lets you set up a group of tabs that you can open all at once. So I take the threads that interest me in TreoCentral, collect them in a folder, and open that folder to load up each thread in it's own window all at once. Very convenient. Phoenix is also the hands-down fastest browser out there, is very stable (on the two Win2k machines and one linux box I live on), and blocks pop-ups. They are also developing a companion OSX browser.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

And check out the tabbed browsing extension at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/extensions/. I find that particularly useful.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    i use stormtamer from envision software

www.stormtamer.com

it's IE based but runs on its own. free, fast and stable. this one is mainly designed as a weather checker but you can add more tabs. i have my whole office using it. i set up the tabs once, and they're off!

very easy to add a tab (navigate once to the site you want, then click on the 'new' tab and the program assumes you want a tab at the site you are at.)

another feature that is very handy is the right-click/reset tab menu choice. works especially well on this forum after you post. instead of hitting your back button several times to get back to the list of topics, just right click on the tab and reset to where you started!

i have used their other, paid, product Auction Tamer for several years to manage my ebay auctions. a great program as well.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. Tabbed browsers...who knew! Now, I'll just need to figure that technology out.

Happy New Year all!
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    as peter noted in his post, phoenix is a beta and not up to a lot of multimedia stuff. for keeping it simple to start, you might want to begin with stormtamer, which is really just a shell for Internet Explorer though you don't see it when you are using it.
  12.    #12  
    thanks. I just downloaded stormtracker and am reading the treocentral boards through the browser. One question...do I need to create a tab for each discussion thread I am interested in?
    J.
    Originally posted by jquinn14
    thanks. I just downloaded stormtracker and am reading the treocentral boards through the browser. One question...do I need to create a tab for each discussion thread I am interested in?
    Why don't you just click the "Receive updates to this thread" option at the bottom of the page in your standard browser? Then, whenever you get an email notifying you of new posts to that thread, you just click on the url in your email message and you are zipped there through your browser. Seems less complicated to me.

(Of course, I also go the the root once a day and click New Posts to find out about things I didn't know I was interested in.)
    Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Originally posted by jquinn14
    you don't 'need' to create a tab for each one, but you can for the ones you are REALLY interested in. for instance, i have one tab set for the treo300 board. then i have another for the tcringer beta board. and i had another for one particular thread i was following for a few days but now that's over.

i like to keep it at the top level, then just read through the titles to see what else might be going on. i find one of the handiest things is the 'reset browser tab' after posting. if you post a reply, you have to hit the 'back' button times to get back to the list of posts. with the 'reset browser tab' option (right click on the appropriate tab), you just go back to the top.

it's whatever works best for you! remember the tabs are not permanent and you can change them anytime. also, you can have lots of tabs. they will form rows if you make more than will fit on one line.
    it would be awesome if there was some way to categorize all of the threads under the Sprint Treo 300 category.
    First you have to realize, that this isn't a Treo 300 discussion board, it is a Treo discussion board. There are many categories. Maybe we could all start by posting threads relative to the categories that are already set-up.

Christo1970 already got flamed heavily for this a while back, but the amount of off topic posts in the Treo 300 category is ridiculous. Out of the 12 posts appearing at the top, 5 look to be Treo 300 specific, the rest fit into other categories. It's a lot easier if you do not have to sort through the crap. This is TreoCentral, not Treo300Central.

Closed lid answer with Freespeak. - Accessories
    C'mon all Hackers, please help !!- Treo 300 only
    Speed Dial vs Contacts - How tos/Troubleshooting
    mobile link for moviefone, etc. - General Chat
    Poll:When did you buy your 300? - Treo 300 only
    Help!! Screen has a blue glow in standby mode - Possibly Treo 300 only
    Treo 300 Overheating - Battery drains FAST - Possibly Treo 300 only
    BatteryDA with Treo 300 - Possibly Treo 300 only
    Powering On when turned off! - How to/Troubleshooting
    Good one for Sprint - Customer Service
    Need help with Outlook contacts! Thanks - General Software or How tos
    Accessing Mindspring mail with Eudora - How to/Troubleshooting

Let the flaming begin.
    Appleman, you are 100% right. Good job.

<With a surprised look on his face. >

Thanks KRamsauer
    unfortunately what i think happens is that some (many?) of us whose only contact with treo has been our new 300's sort of gravitate to this board. i know i only occasionally look at the other boards, mostly when i do a search and other posts come up. so some folks end up posting stuff that might be otherwise classified.

if only we lived in a perfect world...
    That may be an explanation, but not an excuse. I only have a Treo 180, but I contribute and browse all forums for information.

The blinders need to come off the Treo 300 users.
    i think the 'blinders' you refer to are the result of marketing efforts and actual differences between the treo 300 and other models.

it's a challenge for the non-tech crowd (i am a pc geek but not a palm geek) to start figuring out what on the treo is standard palm, and what is unique to the 300.

for instance, in the discussion group for the treo300 beta for TCRinger, someone asked about changing the ringtones for sms messages and voicemail. those are NOT able to ring as polyphonic tones despite the fact that the PHONE ringers can be set to lots of neat stuff.

although i know that is the correct answer, i do not understand the technical reasons why it is so. seems to me that if the 300 can make certain noises, it should be able to do it for anything that involved a noise. yet i re-set my alarm tones using geeksounds which i got off palmgear.com. that is in the standard palm world and i have learned that through experimentation and reading stuff here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast