1.    #1  
    What is on the horizon?
    What are Handspring's plan for the future.
    Word was they were on their last leg because they bet the company on communicators.
    It seems the communicators are a hit but the price tag for a unit still remains high.
    I think HS put too much of the onus on the cellular providers and they made huge mistakes (the t-mobile gprs upgrade, sprint's 'we have 3G' when it was really 2.5G in the upgrade works, etc). I keep hearing about this Kyocera 7135 but that it keeps being pushed back. My theory is they are waiting to see if the Treo will fly and people are loving the keyboard, so now they don't know what to do over at KYO.
    Handspring hasn't put any information on their website as to what is coming next so what have you all heard.

Thanks for your time.
    I've asked this question too but I don't think anyone knows. HS must run a tight ship over there or they don't have squat. Lets hope that's not true. I would like to see a device with bluetooth, some kind of media slot (SD, CF or something) Palm OS5 and PLEASE don't lose the keyboard!

-Maximo
    Thanks for watching! We'll see you next week.
  3.    #3  
    Sadly, one of the things I brought up to HS at NY TechExpo (I think, I go to so many shows, can hardly keep track) and they told me that the PDA was going away. I was dismayed because I like the springboard module concept and that it was going away. Then they produced the first round of Treo with media slot and I thought, "here comes the promise' only to find out that it wasn't available on the communicators. What a disappointment. I would love to see a communicator expandable using a media slot. Will HS listen, let's hope because if the keyboard takes off, you'll see Kyo jump on it and then HS will be doing the scratch and claw, much like they did with Palm

Originally posted by Maximo
    I've asked this question too but I don't think anyone knows. HS must run a tight ship over there or they don't have squat. Lets hope that's not true. I would like to see a device with bluetooth, some kind of media slot (SD, CF or something) Palm OS5 and PLEASE don't lose the keyboard!
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Maybe I don't understand what you mean when you said they told you "the PDA is going away".

THen all they'd be left with is a featureless phone??? huh?
    All you have to do is go to the HS web site and see the statements that they are migrating to a "communicator" product line. Contained in their 10-K's and 10-Q's is significant insight in to their overall product strategy although no mention is made of specific future products. Secondly, you can look at HS's financial statements and get a feeling of the overall health of the company.
  6.    #6  
    What I mean by 'the PDA is going away', is that they are concentrating on the Treo-esque line and the Visor's are going the way of the dodo bird.
    They may keep one line of Visors around but it looks like communicators from now on.

Originally posted by njchris
    Maybe I don't understand what you mean when you said they told you "the PDA is going away".

THen all they'd be left with is a featureless phone??? huh?
    From one of the transcripts I read of a speach by (I believe, though I am not sure) Jeff Hawkins was that the next gen stuff was going to look a lot more like what we consider a traditional phone to look like. I am not sure what that means, but I have visions of a Treo with a real numeric dial pad. <wishfull thinking> Maybe one that slides down to reveal the keyboard, similar to the Tungston or the Zaurus. </wishfull thinking>

Beyond that, I have some freinds over there in engineering. Although they wont comment on future products, they have told me that with every new rev, they have arguments over whether or not Bluetooth was engauged enough to warrent it's inclusion. You can look at that statement in two ways. Either "That shows that they have been actively thinking about it, so it should be here soon", or "If that is what they are waiting for, we might as well not hold our breath." Don't know which.

I would seriously doubt that HS is going to be releasing an OS5 or higher device. As it stands, They have been very happy with the stability and the small footprint of 3.5. I believe that they feel that 4.1 is a bit bloated, so it is only good if you need to have access to a VFS device (like an SD/SDIO/MMC card), for which there is native support. So I believe that the next Treo will be 3.5 again, unless they include an SD slot, in which case it will be 4.1. Wishy-washy enough?

Beyond that, who knows. From the Sprint side, I hear it on good authority that Handspring is working on an full SMS client for exclusive use by Sprint's proprietary SMS system. This is also dependant on Sprint making a change in their system to allow client-side SMS, so if this doesn't show up, it probably ain't HS's fault.

<wishfull thinking>
    I Truely believe that Handspring should include the Internet only version of TreoMail with the Treo. $50 a year for a single account email package is a little steep, now that you can buy product outright with similar functionality for less. The Treo 180 and 270 both include an email package, 300 users are out in the cold.

I also strongly urge Handspring to buy PDAapps. Having Verichat bundled with the Treos would be a killer app, and help keep them competative with the T-Mobile Sidekick and the RIM Blackberry. Plus, all the other apps would be nice, too.
    </wishfull thinking>
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    After spending a week with the ATT & T Mobile , I can tell you it is real challenge to go back to a TREO.Out of the box these sync up flawlessly with all of the Outlook features (including personal folders). I was able in addition to the phone and email hear MP3's, read ebooks but what really was great was to watch streaming TV while I was waiting for my appointment at the doctor.That is when I really understood the term convergence & communicator.Remember that these devices are GSM/GPRS threfore the date speed are less than CDMA 2000 (Sprint) and you do not have unlimited data.I will trade my TREO if Sprint comes out with a Pocket PC PDA. As to all of the hype about the TREO size, I can tell I will trade it trade for a slightly larger screen and screen resolution.If someone is concern about battery daily life, I had to charge these daily just as with my TREO. I hope HS stops trying to simplify their products and gives us something a bit more advanced.
    Originally posted by veroi
    After spending a week with the ATT & T Mobile , I can tell you it is real challenge to go back to a TREO.Out of the box these sync up flawlessly with all of the Outlook features (including personal folders). I was able in addition to the phone and email hear MP3's, read ebooks but what really was great was to watch streaming TV while I was waiting for my appointment at the doctor.That is when I really understood the term convergence & communicator.Remember that these devices are GSM/GPRS threfore the date speed are less than CDMA 2000 (Sprint) and you do not have unlimited data.I will trade my TREO if Sprint comes out with a Pocket PC PDA. As to all of the hype about the TREO size, I can tell I will trade it trade for a slightly larger screen and screen resolution.If someone is concern about battery daily life, I had to charge these daily just as with my TREO. I hope HS stops trying to simplify their products and gives us something a bit more advanced.
    Sprint has the Toshiba 2032, Pocket PC with PDA. The battery is worse than the Treo so take a long extension cord.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    The Toshiba 2032 is not a Pocket PC Phone Edition Unit. The 2032 is the Audiovos Maestro or Genio 580 depending your source. These units are plain PDA's fitted with 3rd party software to make it work.Is like comparing a TREO with Zire
    Originally posted by veroi
    The Toshiba 2032 is not a Pocket PC Phone Edition Unit. The 2032 is the Audiovos Maestro or Genio 580 depending your source. These units are plain PDA's fitted with 3rd party software to make it work.Is like comparing a TREO with Zire
    So what if it is not PC Phone? What would PC Phone give I do not currently have? I have a 2032, and though not perfect, I do prefer it over the Treo, or any other Palm OS version, including the 7135, I have used or read about.

Battery life is worse than a voice only, monochrome cell, but from what I have seen not that much worse than other color smarphones. An yes ... I do keep a charger handy.

Gary
    There has been talk of HS most likely having financial issues and that it might be bought by another company. I would like to see Sony buy HS although that is not likely because Sony just bought Ericsson.

I think it would help Palm out tremendously to buy HS as it would eliminate one of their competitors and provide them with a convergence product appealing to more users. I don't think the tungsten w will be a very big hit due to its design folly.

If Sony has anything up its sleeve... HS lookout.

-Maximo
    Thanks for watching! We'll see you next week.
    Originally posted by Maximo

<snip>
    If Sony has anything up its sleeve... HS lookout.

-Maximo
    Yea, along with Sanyo, Siemens, SE, HP/Compaq, MS, LG, Hitachi, NEC, etc., etc., etc.