1.    #1  
    Does anyone have a pretty good guess or know if there will be a new model of the 300 in the very near future? I am ready to buy the 300, but will kick myself if a new model comes out in a couple months. I know the 300 combines several devices into one, hence the size....but I am sure they will figure out a way to make it smaller. The size has kept me from buying it so far...I just can't imagine using something that big for a phone! Is the size bugging anyone very much, or is it not a big deal? Thanks for any and all input!
    Well firstly,

If you are worried about buyer's remorse, don't worry. The only new Palm-based phones due in the next nine-to-twelve months are the Samsung I500 and the Kyocera 7135. All of these phones are similar to the size and shape of the Treo. The major obvious difference between these phones and the Treo is that both the Samsung and the Kyocera phones have numeric keypads and grafitti areas. So, if you are looking for a phone that has Palm features, either of these phones would be alright, although the Kyocera looks a little better thought out (even before you consider the Kyocera's integrated MP3 player). If you like the idea of integrated email and other data-based messaging as much as the normal voice features, the Treo is best of breed, hands down.

As far as the size, I have been happy. Of course, I upgraded from a Samsung I300, which was a brick. But before that, I carried a Startac. The Treo kind of feels like a bloated Startac. Of course, we have all gotten a little spoiled these days. It wasn't that long ago I carried a Motorola Brick phone. The Treo feels comfortable on my belt, and I forget about it in my jacket pocket, but I never forget it is there if it is in my pants pocket, and my shirt pocket is much too uncomfortable.

At least you can take comfort in the fact that there wont be a smaller one that comes out before your one year contract expires.
    There are no plans to release any new phones with a keyboard on them.

the 7135 is cool but if you want to acaully enter data treo300 is the best and nothing has yet to be announced that has a keyboard.

anyone know for sure what the screen specs are for the treo300 and the 7135??

I see 12bit color 16 bit 8bit then 256 colors which does the treo support and what about the 7135?
    Although smaller would be nicer in many ways, for a Treo-style device it would not be as effective, for a couple of reasons. A smaller keyboard would be too hard to use and a smaller screen would be too small to work with for long periods of time. These are the gating factors governing the size constraints. I think Handspring got the form factor just right in terms of balancing small size with usability.

More likely improvements (and more frequently requested improvements) for a successor model would be: a swappable battery (with greater capacity), higher screen resolution (and better visibility in direct sunlight), built-in Bluetooth, upgraded processor (and hopefully much upgraded, along with OS 5), an expansion slot for memory cards (and perhaps other peripherals), etc. Tri-mode radio and availability on Verizon's network have also been high on the request list. I guess we'll have to wait and see how ambitious Handspring and the other handset makers get.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, I really appreciate all the info! Did Sprint just get the SMS working correctly, or does it still take an outside app? If outside app, does it work sufficiently that way? I read that all data is lost if the battery completely runs out, is this true? That would be terrible.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Handspring if they deliver a new phone will deliver it in October 2003. Usually if I am not mistaken the tradition from Handspring is to offer new products in May and October. I doubt they will offer anything in May. So that is my guess.
    The people with whom I work always say "Is that a phone" when I take it out and talk into it. I guess they don't think it's cool to have a phone as big as the Treo. Of course it's smaller than the Blackberry we all carry. It takes up about as much space as some of their phones (they are fatter) but since this is so wide it looks giant. It's not. It works wonderfully as a phone. I have no problems with it. I'd say go down to your local electronics merchant and try a Treo out (any model). You'll find it works pretty well.
    Originally posted by shuganut
    Does anyone have a pretty good guess or know if there will be a new model of the 300 in the very near future? I am ready to buy the 300, but will kick myself if a new model comes out in a couple months. I know the 300 combines several devices into one, hence the size....but I am sure they will figure out a way to make it smaller. The size has kept me from buying it so far...I just can't imagine using something that big for a phone! Is the size bugging anyone very much, or is it not a big deal? Thanks for any and all input!
    size was a huge factor in my buying decision. i honestly think the thing is still a bit larger than i would have liked, even a bit heavier, but for what it offers me feature-wise, i think it's worth it. it's pretty close to real email and web browsing. it's neat to be sitting at a sports game and check live scores at another game. or if you're stuck in traffic, you check live traffic reports. Integrating the phone and the palm database is awesome. it's a bit chunky, but there's nothing better and nothing else that's palm-based will be coming out for at least 6 months. fromn what i've read, the kyocera's larger and heavier.