1.    #1  
    For those of you who only check the Treo 300 board, I am repeating the post I entered elsewhere, with the suggestion that you consider checking all Treo posts, especially for the two software discussions, as I have learned a lot of new useful things for my Treo 300 there. Anyway:

After trying most of the program switchers for my Treo, I like McPhling the best!!!

I must say I was put off by the name and it made me pass this hack up before. It sounded like a joke from the author equating switching programs with crudely and flamboyantly picking one's nose or spitting phlegm, so I guess I subconsciously thought to myself that it couldn't be much of a polished product, but boy was I wrong! Its setup screens are very intuitive and attractive and once assigned to the right-most hard button on my Treo, it pretty much entirely takes the place of going to the Applications program. I never quite understood the attraction of fancying the Launch app up with Launcher X and III etc. when what I wanted was a fast and reliable way to go directly from one app to the next. McPhling presents an attractive popup list from which you select with the scroll up or down buttons and launch with the space bar.

And there's nothing gross or crude about the screens.

The poor guy should change the name and he'd probably sell a lot more copies and maybe even merit a higher price!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Switcheroo is the best app switcher and it is Free. McPhling is good too though.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by yardie
    Switcheroo is the best app switcher and it is Free. McPhling is good too though.
    McPhling is free too, as far as I can tell. Nowhere does it say registration is required, just that it costs $12 to register. It's released under the GNU GPL, which makes it hard to claim people have to pay for it. I think it's worth the $12, though and will probably pay it after trying it for some more time.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by metsfan

McPhling is free too, as far as I can tell. Nowhere does it say registration is required, just that it costs $12 to register. It's released under the GNU GPL, which makes it hard to claim people have to pay for it. I think it's worth the $12, though and will probably pay it after trying it for some more time.
    I was glad to pay the author's December registration "special" of only $10 to support his work on McPhling after I saw how well-designed and neat it was.

Yes, Switcheroo is clever too, but I prefer the visual popup list of the full names of the apps; the fact that I don't have to remember what keys I assigned; and that I am not limited to only one app whose name starts with the same letter of the alphabet. This is what sent me roaming for and finding McPhling after I had earlier started using Switcheroo.

Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference. Otherwise, ice cream and soda would only come in one flavor.

Regards,

NateS
    Yeah, I really like McPhling, but there are some things I want to do with it... which I just might if I find some time.

One... Folders/Categories. Basically, make it function pretty much the same as the start menu in windows, except I suppose at the top of each list would have to be a "Back" link or something. Also I'd like to be able to have more than 14 things in the list and have it scroll them.

It's still a great hack, though. I don't know how I got along without it.

Oh, and I really want the ability to launch PQAs.
    How do these tow progrmas interact?
    These switch programs sound great, and if fact are the first application that has made me consider adding the Hack program. So, what is the best program to use with the Treo 300 for allowing hacks? Also, with either of the switcher-type program can you get the pop-up list w/ keyboard input only? Thanks!

Robert
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by MobileGuy
    These switch programs sound great, and if fact are the first application that has made me consider adding the Hack program. So, what is the best program to use with the Treo 300 for allowing hacks? Also, with either of the switcher-type program can you get the pop-up list w/ keyboard input only? Thanks!

Robert
    I use X-Master. Works very nicely, and enabled me to add other Hacks I enjoy, like:
    CorrectHack; KeyCapsHack; and Tech Sounds&Screens (which is a real kick!)

I assigned McPhling to my far right hard button - works fine from that. But there are other options to choose from.

I think it was option-spacebar to call up Switcheroo. I've forgotten. Yardie may be of more info on that.

Regards,

NateS
    I forgot to add the McPhling is great for launching DAs
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Does it work with the jog button?
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Does it work with the jog button?
    Yes indeed!
    I use McPhling w/ X-Master, EasyLaunch, & Power Jog.

Using McPhling:
    I set the memo (or SMS) button to toggle between the current and previous programs.
    I set the DateBook button to bring up the previous ten programs.

Using EasyLaunch:
    I set the phone button to toggle the backlight when pressed and held (you have the option of holding and holding long when configuring).
    I set the DateBook button to launch DateBook when pressed and held (it also launches if pressed while the McPhling window is active).
    I set the memo button to launch memo pad if pressed and held, since I don't use SMS on my Treo 300.

PowerJog is a holdover from my 180g. I use it to launch programs that don't appear in the "last ten" list, or to gain access to button fields, in both cases when I need one-handed operation. Mostly it's because I paid for it.

This configuration is really convenient for me, especially the backlight & program toggles.
    Got Darts?