Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. kin
    There is a Palm version of ICQ available. It seems to work fine with the Treo.

Also has an SMS feature built in so that you can send messages to phones free of charge...

Pity the company was purchased by AOL and they are trying to stuff out ICQ while promoting the AIM chat system.

ICQ was and still is one of the best chat networks around.
    when you goto the main menu or switch to any other app then reload the chat program does it REsign on (disconnect and reconnect) or resume where you were?
  3.    #43  
    Originally posted by quake8
    when you goto the main menu or switch to any other app then reload the chat program does it REsign on (disconnect and reconnect) or resume where you were?
    Don't know if you were directing the question at me or not but if I stay in the verichat program and leave it alone for five minutes it will give the error message.
    a2...
    No, I am looking for a program to switch between apps, leaving them in the state they are in so I can switch back to them.

With varichat I would be talking to someone then switch to blazer, look at a couple sites then when I want to go back to varichat It says signing in again. Now while I was not activily using it I can still get IM's I never have the time out problems you guys do. I leave it on 24/7 and Get im's and phone calls no prob. but when I go back to varichat does it disconnect me then re-sign in to aim and msn or does it just reload the buddy list?
    Quake8, you said this:
    "when I want to go back to varichat It says signing in again"
    and also this:
    "when I go back to varichat does it disconnect me then re-sign in to aim and msn or does it just reload the buddy list?"

It seems like you kind of answered your own question, but here's my thoughts:

You have to keep in mind that the connection status YOU see on your device is not necessarily what your IM buddies see as your true status - since PDAApps' proxy servers log you in to the AIM/Yahoo/MSN servers FOR you, your status of online or offline is really based on those proxy servers. When you're on your device, and you have to connect/reconnect, whatever, that's usually due to a Sprint data connection issue - I have that problem quite often, and it has NOTHING to do, for me anyway, with Verichat. The key is to check the data connection signal indicator - those arrows next to the little tower and above the bars. If they're grey, that's SUPPOSED to mean that you have an active data connection, and not sending data at that moment - kind of dormant (of course, many times have I ben tricked by those gray bars - there, but not there). If they're green, you should be in the active process of sending/rec'ving data. You know the scene probably.

So, to answer your specific question, when you launch the Verichat app on your device, all that does is establish a connection to the PDAApps proxy servers. If your data connection is already established on Sprint's network, firing up Verichat should be fast, without any of that 'connecting', 'signing on', etc. If you don't have an active data connection when you fire up Verichat, it'll have to go through the whole signing on thing.

All that really has nothing to do with what's happening at the AIM/MSN servers - firing up VC just loads the buddies (from the PDAApps proxy servers) and and hooks you up to those servers.

Have I made this confusing enough?
    Yea, that answered the question perfectly. Its just my connection to their servers.

So basically I can reboot my phone, turn wireless on and off but as long as the proxy's are logged in im set.

thats good news. I didnt want my buddies seeing me sign in and out non stop when ever I got Im'd

eitehr way its an amazing app and works perfectly.

btw: Weird thing happened the other day. I got a call while browsing the web. It stopped loading the webpage, I talked then hung up and it resumed where it left off.

So you dont always miss calls while on 3g in an active data call .. When the arrows are grey your phone still works
    Originally posted by quake8

So you dont always miss calls while on 3g in an active data call .. When the arrows are grey your phone still works
    First off, true 3G you can use data and voice at the same time. This is not true 3G. Second, of course you can recieve calls when your arrows are gray. Otherwise you'd never be able to recieve calls because you're always connected to the network (gray arrows).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123