Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am having the same issue with auto-logoff

it seems to be limited to MSN & Yahoo. My AIM account remains connected...

I think it might have something to do with the options in the client software - in MSN there is an option (default) to show as away after 5 minutes. you can change the length or remove the checkmark to turn off the option. This may affect global settings by writing the info to the server side - not sure, but i am testing it.

don't have the yahoo im software installed yet to check that out.

I'll re-post if I find anything interesting
    I went to PDAAPPS site several times but the free version as well as purchase version are not there. I get a blank screen when I hit download (free version) button. Can someone advise how I can get it ?
    Originally posted by tatsuo
    I went to PDAAPPS site several times but the free version as well as purchase version are not there. I get a blank screen when I hit download (free version) button. Can someone advise how I can get it ?
    try this...
    verichat download
    Originally posted by kayden75
    I think it might have something to do with the options in the client software - in MSN there is an option (default) to show as away after 5 minutes. you can change the length or remove the checkmark to turn off the option. This may affect global settings by writing the info to the server side - not sure, but i am testing it.
    I was wrong... it happens for AIM also, I guess I just chatted with AIM users more recently than the other 2 IM's

Also, I set both MSN & Yahoo to never show as idle/away, but I still got booted.

It would be nice to have a timeout selection as an option in the AIM / MSN / Yahoo account info screens...
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by pete123
    I have been logged into MSN through VeriChat (in standby mode) since 2 days. What timeout are you talking about?

Are you trying to log in using the same username from your desktop, because then you will be logged off.
    What I am referring to is that after 5 minutes i get an "Beep" and the meassage " Your connection to the MSN server has been lost" Likewise for yahoo. This will constitute another sign-in to both services. I do not log in with my desktop.
    For 2 days, wow what re your settings?
    a2...
    Originally posted by a2rob

What I am referring to is that after 5 minutes i get an "Beep" and the meassage " Your connection to the MSN server has been lost" Likewise for yahoo. This will constitute another sign-in to both services. I do not log in with my desktop.
    For 2 days, wow what re your settings?
    a2...
    Oh! I think what is happening is that you are going to "standby mode" because Sprint has dropped the data connection because it was idle for a while. Don't think you get logged off MSN, i.e., people still see you online and if they send a message, you get it delivered thru SMS. I generally never leave the application open and just turn the Treo off (to save batteries). And whenever I get a chat request, I just press the chat button to launch VeriChat.
    yes. the sprint network times out when you are idle for a certain period. it makes using amazing progs like verichat frustrating. when the system times you out (and even when you get the warning from the verichat prog that you are disconnecting) you still appear online to your buddies...
    however, if the sprint network times out and you do get an incoming chat request, verichat MAY have problems reconnecting (as do many progs trying to deal with the timed out sprint connection). i have gotten a fatal error several times trying to quick reply when my connection was gray, timed out.
    to deal with this i just make sure to disconnect from the network (prefs->network->disconnect button). you are still online to your buddies and you get your notices by sms still too...however you do have to wait to reconnect to the sprint network to "quick" reply or log on. AGAIN so much for always on...
    I hope that someday sprint will not time out their data, but this may be a nightmare with all the "unlimited" data plans they offered.
    DId you choose the "Connect to the Data Network anytime wireless mode is powered on" option?
    i don't think that will matter in this case. that just makes the treo connect to the data network when you power on the wireless radio (push and hold power button). i leave my wireless on...so i can still get voice calls and the sms messages, but turn the data network off. if you turn the wireless radio off...i am sure you wont get the sms messages and verichat (as well as your phone) will be rendered useless.
    I don't understand this time-out problem you are having. Are you saying that if you don't use data for 5 minutes your connection is dropped? You have to wait for it to connect and sign-in the next time you have to use data? I've never had this.
    i never said anything about 5 minutes...but yes sprint does time out your data connection of it is idle for a period of time (i dont know what, but i think 20 minutes has been batted around the MB). has nothing to do with the program. sometimes when the connection times out, some programs have a hard time getting connected...
    so in short:
    i connect verichat, everything is great
    i change progs, still great
    after a period of time with inactivity, sprint times out the data connection (still connected though...gray arrows)
    i try to use verichat, problems...
    ah jeez i see your confusion.
    the 5 minute disconnect thing they are talking about and the sprint network timeout are two different things. my fault. my problem has nothing to do with the original "5 minute" thing.
    Wow, you have problems after the arrows go gray? That's 10 seconds or so. Have you tried reinstalling the app?
    It happens to me too. I have my Treo set to automatically log into the data connection and remain connected but I have mine drop me as well. Then when I launch Blazer or my email it has to log into the data network again. It is rather annoying. I do not know if this is a deliberate move on Sprint's part to cut down on the data network traffic or if I just lose my connection due to poor signal strength. Whatever the reason it is annoying when you are unable to maintain a constant connection.

I should note that I do not expect the green arrows - - I realize they are only green when data is being transmitted or received. But I do expect my Treo to be "at the ready" when I need it and that is what I am disappointed with. I am guessing it is just poor signal strength because I have reception problems and always have had.
    I reiterate one of my previous posts, in this same thread, that said folks need to keep separate any problems they see with Verichat that are due to the SPECIFIC app, vs issues with keeping the data connection active. I'm not saying there are NO problems with Verichat (I've never had any personally), but many times the challenges with keeping the data connection active will make you think that Verichat itself has problems.
    My point: Before Verichat the app gets any blame, check another data app to see if it too has connection problems. My guess is that you'll determine any problems are really related to keeping the data active (an issue which has about 10,000 other posts in this forum).
    You are right. My issues with data connections have absolutely nothing to do with VeriChat and should not have been posted in this thread. VeriChat is wonderful and I could not be more happy with it!
  17.    #37  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I reiterate one of my previous posts, in this same thread, that said folks need to keep separate any problems they see with Verichat that are due to the SPECIFIC app, vs issues with keeping the data connection active. I'm not saying there are NO problems with Verichat (I've never had any personally), but many times the challenges with keeping the data connection active will make you think that Verichat itself has problems.
    My point: Before Verichat the app gets any blame, check another data app to see if it too has connection problems. My guess is that you'll determine any problems are really related to keeping the data active (an issue which has about 10,000 other posts in this forum).
    Let's remember that this is a chat board and issues are just that, "the program will TIME OUT after 5 minutes of inactivity" My point was to see if anyone else was experiencing the same related issue. Verichat was reinstalled from a hard reboot and the issue still remains. After about 5 mintes I will get a Beep and error message that state " the connection to MSN or Yahoo server has been lost" I will then have to reconnect to the server. Still a great program, and I am not complaing. I can live with this.
    a2...
    i agree verichat is a great app but I also must say that a feature that sends a data packet to each server (aim, msn, yahoo, and the provider as well - sprint, t-mobile, etc.) every few minutes to avoid timeouts would be very helpful and likely much appreciated by all
    Folks - MSN and Yahoo have a few notorious issues as follows:

The desktop application may NOT be notified 100% of the time that you've logged in somewhere else. I use two different desktops (laptop at the office and home PC), both have Yahoo installed. I notice that if I've NOT logged off from one, and then log in with the other, I will occasionally (i.e., 50% of the time) be immediately logged off the new connection as the old connection tries to "reconnect." It therefore takes me 2-3 login attempts to maintain the connection. This occurs on my MSN connects at home as well.

Therefore, I imagine the Verichat proxy fights the same basic issues. I would suggest that you log back in when you receive the message, LOG OUT to force a log out and then log back in... therefore, you've "cleaned" the state of your connection. Then see if you can maintain it...

Personally I've maintained online states for days at a time.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    Originally posted by Leeladisky
    I would suggest that you log back in when you receive the message, LOG OUT to force a log out and then log back in... therefore, you've "cleaned" the state of your connection. Then see if you can maintain it...

Personally I've maintained online states for days at a time.
    I never had the MSN nor the Yahoo messenger client installed on my desktop pc - only AIM - so the fact that I was being booted after inactivity has nothing to do with the desktop clients

what service are you on that you can remain on for days at a time?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast