Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Someone one said there is a way to connect your Treo to an USB webcam at home and thus allow the Treo to be used for home surveiilance across the country. Not a bad way to monitor the babysitter, huh? Am I "misremembering"???
    I believe the only way you could do this is by publshing the images to a website, then viewing the website through Blazer.
    I would think that you would need:

Windows Media Player
    Real Media Player
    --- OR ---
    Quicktime Player

You would have to stream the live feed from your webcam to a Windows Media Server, Real Server, or Quicktime Streaming Server...then have a player on your treo to access the feed.

I don't think it can be done right now...unless there is a player that can read one of these formats.

Could be wrong...but I don't think it's possible right now.

Gary
    Like Appleman says, you wouldn't be able to stream it. However, programs like webcam32 will take a still shot and ftp it to a website anywhere from 1sec to 1 day if you'd like. This is how most webcams are set up, very few are actually streaming the image.
    Originally posted by slffl
    Like Appleman says, you wouldn't be able to stream it. However, programs like webcam32 will take a still shot and ftp it to a website anywhere from 1sec to 1 day if you'd like. This is how most webcams are set up, very few are actually streaming the image.
    Exactly! This is how I do it and it works very well.
    just have it take a picture of your baby once a day at 11pm. if its in its crib then your set. if its gone then you call for help?
    I watch my apartment this way.

1. Webcam32 takes a picture every 45 seconds.
    2. Uploads it to a remote server.
    3. On the treo, I can hit a URL that is an html page displaying just the image to see if my apartment is still there.

I figure if someone is going to steal something, there is likely no time to stop them. What is key here, is that I have a remote FTP happening, even if they take the camera and the computer (which would be hard since it is locked down), I still may have some image capture evidence as to who stole it. Anyhow, makes me feel just a little bit better.

Also a good way to keep an eye on my cats when I'm gone.

I've noticed that even though the webpage with the image is set to not cache, blazer still caches it. I need to manually flush out the blazer cache to see a new image. I haven't tried yet with Xiino or EudoraWeb, they make work better.

L - Treo300 Pager
    Here is another solution you could try. I've done this using my PC at work to monitor what is happening at home, but the same software is available for the Treo.

Setup the Webcam so that you see the image on your Desktop.
    Run a VNC server on your Desktop PC
    Use PalmVNC on your Treo to connect to your machine at home.
    Voilla!! You can now view a live picture of your home space.
    I've gone the VNC route. In fact a friend setup a webcam with servos so you could control where the camera looked my moving the cursor. On PalmVNC, I just dragged the stylus to turn the camera. Was nifty. Now that's good home monitoring.
    Having just got VNC to work, it is a riot to watch video on the Treo, zoomed up to full screen, and refreshing about once every second or two. However, I'm not sure if it's the video or something else with the VNC program but it crashes the server computer after you disconnect the treo and try to reconnect. And you can't leave it connected because the Treo battery will get very hot and drain in about 20 minutes of doing this.

Has this happened to anyone else? Have you found a fix? I'm on Win 98.