1.    #1  
    hi...

i'm a new yorker, and in february, we will all have to start using 11 digit dialling no matter where in ny we are calling i.e.: 1-212-555-2222 or 1-718-555-2222 or whatever.

problem is, in my phonebook, i have about 1000 numbers that don't have the 1 in front of them, so the treo doesn't dial the 1.

is there a) a way to make the treo dial the 1 or, better yet b) a piece of software that will go through my entire phonebook database and add a 1 to all my phone numbers?

what a pain. yeesh.
    exit, pursued by a bear.
    In the Contacts screen, go to MENU->OPTIONS->DIAL PREFERENCES.

Michael
    Originally posted by matty
    hi...

i'm a new yorker, and in february, we will all have to start using 11 digit dialling no matter where in ny we are calling i.e.: 1-212-555-2222 or 1-718-555-2222 or whatever.

problem is, in my phonebook, i have about 1000 numbers that don't have the 1 in front of them, so the treo doesn't dial the 1.

is there a) a way to make the treo dial the 1 or, better yet b) a piece of software that will go through my entire phonebook database and add a 1 to all my phone numbers?

what a pain. yeesh.
    Isn't it annoying... mfacelle is correct but you must remember that this option is location specific.

There is a piece of software to do a global find and replace, which is very handy when your countries Telecom company change phone number codes (recently done in Switzerland). In fact, you can use it to find/replace anything in your Treo (just like Windows find/replace).

Try ReplaceDA

You will also need DALauncher

These are both Freeware.

If you don't already know, DA's are very small programs which extend functionality of the PalmOS (and get around huge limitations in the PalmOS when it comes to executing multiple programs simultaneously). Basically, you can execute a DA within an app (say, your address book) without leaving the address book. There are many DA's out there (I use about thirty).

Hope this helps
  4.    #4  
    yeah. that sounds like a treo 300 kind of thing or maybe a gprs update deal, neither of which apply to me. the 270 doesn't have a dial preferences option. if I do the gprs patch will that give me that option? any other thoughts? I thought I remembered a piece of software that did something like this. hmmm.
  5.    #5  
    oops i posted this from the road and didn't update firsst. I had only read mfacelle's post. thamks for the da. I love da's and use them all the time. looking forward to this one.
    yeah. that sounds like a treo 300 kind of thing or maybe a gprs update deal, neither of which apply to me. the 270 doesn't have a dial preferences option. if I do the gprs patch will that give me that option? any other thoughts? I thought I remembered a piece of software that did something like this. hmmm.
    I'm using a 270, and the option is there, before and after GPRS.

Michael
  7.    #7  
    nzmoko-- i use about ten da's. which ones do you use?

mfacelle -as nzmoko suggests... must be a location thing, cuz voicestream/t-mobile in NE US doesn't give me dialing prefs. when I get back home i'll go with replace da. sounds like a good fix.

mfacelle -as nzmoko suggests... must be a location thing, cuz voicestream/t-mobile in NE US doesn't give me dialing prefs. when I get back home i'll go with replace da. sounds like a good fix.
    I'm also in NY. It's a software thing, not location. Just make sure you are viewing the Contacts (address book). The Dial Prefs do not come up if you are on the speed dial or dial pad screen.

Michael
    I don't know of a program that'll add those prefixes to every number. But, you can do it this way:

1. Export your entire address book to *.CSV format from your Palm Desktop.

2. Open the exported file in Excel and the 1 in front of everything.

3. Re-import the file back into Palm Desktop and sync. (Be sure to specify Desktop overwrites Handheld).
  10.    #10  
    mfacelle -- thanks for the clarification (or rather the reexplantion to me the bonehead.) worked like a charm. hurrah.