1.    #1  
    I've had the Treo for about a month and I love it. It really has helped to simplify and organize my life while still giving me a great toy to play with.

I am just wondering if any of you know of a good map program? I've just been using mobile.mapquest and it is fine, but sometimes, I just need to look at a simple map and it doesn't help with that. I'm in downtown Chicago, so I just want a basic street map without any frills - just a zoomable picture of the major streets in the downtown area would help.

Thanks for any help.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Delorme has a pretty good product in Solus Pro3, there also map applications from Quo Vadis, Vindigo (kind of limited), Mapopilis, Magellan and TomTom. Ihave used the Delorme and Magellan products, and they are fine, though the screen resolution of a Treo is not quite the Sony Clie, and you run out of space with only 16 megs. Boy, I wish the Treo 270 had an SD slot.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by juandechemula
    I've had the Treo for about a month and I love it. It really has helped to simplify and organize my life while still giving me a great toy to play with.

I am just wondering if any of you know of a good map program? I've just been using mobile.mapquest and it is fine, but sometimes, I just need to look at a simple map and it doesn't help with that. I'm in downtown Chicago, so I just want a basic street map without any frills - just a zoomable picture of the major streets in the downtown area would help.

Thanks for any help.
    I am in the chicago area and I use Vindigo. vindigo.com There is a yearly susbscription but it is worth it IMHO.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    At mapquest or Yahoo, all you have to do to get a city map is enter an invalid address. "9999 nowhere st." in Chicago will do it.
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
    try try this mapquest version: www.mapquest.com/pda/main.adp the other one sucks azz! also I deifnitely recommend using vindigo. it is well worth it!
    Originally posted by 003oret
    try try this mapquest version: www.mapquest.com/pda/main.adp the other one sucks azz! also I deifnitely recommend using vindigo. it is well worth it!
    interesting. i just tried this site and the site i already had bookmarked (the wireless. address). i agree this one is better. have to wonder why they would even have 2, but i guess with technology changing as fast as it does, and competing formats, they have to try everything
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    DeLorme Street Atlas USA for PALM is an excellent choice. It allows you to search for street addresses, works with GPS, allows you to look for businesses, and local attractions. It also can be used with Delorme Topo maps.

Mapopolis is what I used to use and that is fairly decent. But by the time you pony up the cash to subscribe to Mapopolis, you might be better off getting unlimited access to the whole U.S. from Street Atlas.

James
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for al the suggestions. I just downloadd the vindigo and it seems pretty cool. The only problem is that the maps aren't the best. I will also try the DeLorme.
    Mapopolous is what I use. Yes if you downloaded the whole US it would be expensive. But I just need my home city. Each city, or maybe its by county, costs about $9.
    The parent program is free and you just download the area you need on an as needed basis. The "detailed" map of my city takes about 1200 kb. My only complaint is that it has very slow refresh rates, such as when changing zoom or moving to a different area of the map (like 5-10 sec). This is ok, but seems like forever when your trying to demonstrate the coolness of the Treo to someone.