Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    New version can be downloaded from PalmGear, here.
    Be sure to get KeyCapsHack0.5.zip, as not all of PalmGears servers have updated as of now.

Included in this release:
    • Works with Handspring Blazer!
    • Double click option works for List Key (for 0) and Menu Key (for Launcher). Hold down option currently not working with these two keys.
    • Customizable double click timeout.
    • Test text field in preferences setup, so you don't have to switch applications to test changes to settings.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Is anybody having problems with this new version? I get fatal errors when trying to configure version .5 and my settings aren't retained and are stuck on HOLD=Caps and Double=Caps.

I can only even get into the configure screen if I load version .5 over a deactivated version .3. Loading .5 clean causes the fatal error going into config screen.

I'm using a 270 with the latest US T-Mobile GPRS patch. I've disabled all other hacks, have the latest X-Master version, only mod running now is PowerJog.

I've emailed the author but thought I'd see if anybody else has had any trouble.

This is one of the coolest hacks for the Treo and I'd really love to get it working!

Thanks,

-bostonGuy
    I'm having the same problem on my Treo 300. Removed .3 and installed .5 clean. Fatal Exception and reset everytime I try to configure.
  4.    #4  
    Doing a clean install seems to work for me. I go into X-Master and delete version 0.3, and then install 0.5 and it seems to have no problems.

Installing over 0.3 did cause some weird things to happen, but not a Fatal Exception.

I have a 270. I guess for now just keep using 0.3. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

Edit: I made a change to fix what I thought could be the problem... and now I'm getting the Fatal Exception. I'm working on it.
    Last edited by metsfan; 12/22/2002 at 03:00 PM.
  5.    #5  
    It's fixed now. Newest version at the normal location. If you upgrade from 0.3, you have to disable and reenable the hack after installing the new version or your keyboard just won't work at all.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Just installed v0.55 over 0.3 (after disabling hack). Time feature works great!-- But the "0" key still does not work, and if double tap on menu/ apps key is supposed to now bring up apps, that doesn't work either (just get menu popup, then back to original screen). Using treo 300...
    First, Thank you again for this hack. The latest version 0.55 (clean install) works well on the Treo 300. Both the "0" key and double tapping on the home key are functional.
    Seems to working well now. Thanks so much for a great hack!!
    Metsfan, thanks a million for the wonderful upgrade to your hack!

I was about to give up on v0.3 because timeout for x2clicking was not configurable then and holding a key down had too much of a time lag.

v0.55 solves the first issue, but my preference is still to use the key hold down to select Option:$.

Unfortunately, the time lag is not configurable for the key hold down feature. Are you planning to upgrade your hack to make the time lag configurable?

Your efforts are much much appreciated.

Cheers...

Chow.

10. kin
    Thanks for the program Metsfan. Great to have it. Noticed the Treo running slower than before. Any change you can look into it?
    Cheers.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    The double tap on the apps button DOES work fine- my fault! I prefer to configure it to bring up a capital with the double tap (I use capitals much more than option keys, and the delay on the option is too long). So--- I wonder if you might be able to configure it this way (double tap for caps, hold for option), *except* for the apps button. Maybe too much- I'm not a developer! Anyway, thanks for a wonderful hack!
    I was using KeyCapsHack until last night when I tapped the menu bar to bring down the menu and saw it was slow; I disabled KeyCapsHack and the speed went back to normal. I'll take a look at the source code later and send some suggestions on speeding it up. I love the idea; unfortunately it slows down the entire system.
  13.    #13  
    Actually, it specifically does slow down the menu and list key buttons. It waits for the timeout before doing them to see if you double click.

The rest of the keys should be normal speed. I'll see if I can get it to only delay the menu when you hit the key though, not tap on the screen. I'll also try to make it so tapping the menu on the screen twice won't launch the launcher.

Also if you hit Menu+Key quickly, it will immediately do that, and stop waiting for the timeout.
    Last edited by metsfan; 12/23/2002 at 01:24 PM.
    Originally posted by metsfan
    Actually, it specifically does slow down the menu and list key buttons. It waits for the timeout before doing them to see if you double click.

The rest of the keys should be normal speed. I'll see if I can get it to only delay the menu when you hit the key though, not tap on the screen. I'll also try to make it so tapping the menu on the screen twice won't launch the launcher.

Also if you hit Menu+Key quickly, it will immediately do that, and stop waiting for the timeout.
    OK, I understand. If you could check when the actual key was hit, that would probably be better.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by sgruby

OK, I understand. If you could check when the actual key was hit, that would probably be better.
    It appears this isn't possible. Handspring's API says a bit should be set when it's the keyboard menu key, but that doesn't seem to be working. This is the second bug I think I've found in their API, but it doesn't seem like theres any way for me to report it without having to pay them for support. Do you know anywhere I can submit these?
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by cywong
    Metsfan, thanks a million for the wonderful upgrade to your hack!

I was about to give up on v0.3 because timeout for x2clicking was not configurable then and holding a key down had too much of a time lag.

v0.55 solves the first issue, but my preference is still to use the key hold down to select Option:$.

Unfortunately, the time lag is not configurable for the key hold down feature. Are you planning to upgrade your hack to make the time lag configurable?

Your efforts are much much appreciated.

Cheers...

Chow.

I'm trying to figure out how to make holding down those two buttons work to do Option: $. I'm definitely going to try to get that done. Also, I'd like to get both of them working with the Shift/Find key.

It looks like I can make the time lag configurable, so that'll probably go in the next release.
    Originally posted by metsfan

It appears this isn't possible. Handspring's API says a bit should be set when it's the keyboard menu key, but that doesn't seem to be working. This is the second bug I think I've found in their API, but it doesn't seem like theres any way for me to report it without having to pay them for support. Do you know anywhere I can submit these?

DevBugs@handspring.com

I can't say that I'm surprised; I've had to use the APIs as a basis for doing stuff, but a lot of things don't work exactly as advertised. Today I'm trying to figure out how to determine the state of the switch on top (mute/no-mute). On the Treo 180/270, I found the preference and used that (no API), but nothing similar exists on the Treo 300.
  18.    #18  
    Version 0.6 at PalmGear

Changes in this version:
    • Added "Disable AutoShift" option.
    • Added customizable auto-repeat delay time for holding keys down.
    Metsfan,

Number 0 does not seem to work with key hold down feature.

Thx for the update.

Chow.
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by cywong
    Metsfan,

Number 0 does not seem to work with key hold down feature.

Thx for the update.

Chow.
    Yes, I am aware of this. I've been trying to figure out a way to fix this. Right now, the only way to do 0 is to use double click for "option."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast