1.    #1  
    I read in a few posts about some headsets that people prefer to use and came across the Gold Lantern link in one of them. http://www.goldlantern.com/freemmobreth.html

I bought this one a couple of days ago and it just arrived. I can honestly say that I am fairly pleased with this product. As with most things in life, there are some good and some bad. The same goes for this product.

When I opened the case, I noticed that the cord (retracted) wasn't "surrounded" by the plastic housing. I found this odd. Then, when I tried to pull the cord out, it tangled up. It doesn't spool from just one end. The cord is connected in the middle to the spool, and when you pull it out, it comes from the top and bottom. I immediately said, "This is a chunk of ***k." But this was in haste. Nobody just sells a piece of crap, it must be me. So, I played with it for another 30 seconds and found that if you pull out the cord with the clip connected to something (mine is on my case), it spools out great.

About 5 minutes later, I happened to look at the package it came in and noticed that it had directions. My bad. It explained everything I just mentioned.

Shortcomings:
    Earpiece doesn't feel secure, but I am sure that my ears have something to do with that (Dumbo is a wimp).

Good:
    PTT ACTUALLY works, unlike some of the others I have tried. This one worked from the moment I hooked it up. Not even the handspring headset has been this efficient.

Sound quality is fair as well

Like positioning of the PTT button (on the earpiece)

Like positioning of mike (on the earpiece) Even better, unlike some "jabra" sets where the mike sticks out a bit, this one does not.

Color is cool (I got silver.....matched the Treo)

I don't like walking around with the earpiece in all of the time. I think it looks silly. Plus I don't like having to be attached to anything. That is where this is great. I plug it in, put the clip on the case (for security and so you aren't pulling on the connection), and leave it hanging (doesn't hang far at all). If someone calls, pull it out and TADA!

Anyway, I thought you might like to know about one of these headsets. I have read a lot about a bunch of them on these boards, but nobody wrote too much about their satisfaction.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
    How well does the mic work? You said the sound quality was fair.

Originally posted by treomojo
    I read in a few posts about some headsets that people prefer to use and came across the Gold Lantern link in one of them. http://www.goldlantern.com/freemmobreth.html

I bought this one a couple of days ago and it just arrived. I can honestly say that I am fairly pleased with this product. As with most things in life, there are some good and some bad. The same goes for this product.

When I opened the case, I noticed that the cord (retracted) wasn't "surrounded" by the plastic housing. I found this odd. Then, when I tried to pull the cord out, it tangled up. It doesn't spool from just one end. The cord is connected in the middle to the spool, and when you pull it out, it comes from the top and bottom. I immediately said, "This is a chunk of ***k." But this was in haste. Nobody just sells a piece of crap, it must be me. So, I played with it for another 30 seconds and found that if you pull out the cord with the clip connected to something (mine is on my case), it spools out great.

About 5 minutes later, I happened to look at the package it came in and noticed that it had directions. My bad. It explained everything I just mentioned.

Shortcomings:
    Earpiece doesn't feel secure, but I am sure that my ears have something to do with that (Dumbo is a wimp).

Good:
    PTT ACTUALLY works, unlike some of the others I have tried. This one worked from the moment I hooked it up. Not even the handspring headset has been this efficient.

Sound quality is fair as well

Like positioning of the PTT button (on the earpiece)

Like positioning of mike (on the earpiece) Even better, unlike some "jabra" sets where the mike sticks out a bit, this one does not.

Color is cool (I got silver.....matched the Treo)

I don't like walking around with the earpiece in all of the time. I think it looks silly. Plus I don't like having to be attached to anything. That is where this is great. I plug it in, put the clip on the case (for security and so you aren't pulling on the connection), and leave it hanging (doesn't hang far at all). If someone calls, pull it out and TADA!

Anyway, I thought you might like to know about one of these headsets. I have read a lot about a bunch of them on these boards, but nobody wrote too much about their satisfaction.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
    For anyone who is interested, I am able to source for a retractable headset that is virtually identical to the goldlantern one described in this thread. The functions are identical and the sound quality is good.

Price is US$15 or less (half of goldlantern). I have a Treo270 myself & I am currently using such a headset. It will work with Treos (not sure about Treo300) and Nokias that use headsets with the same number of pinstripes. I will post pictures on this thread if there is enough interest on this.

Only problem is logistics. I reside in Asia and will have to get it shipped/courriered to the US. Shipping cost is expensive if I were to do individual shipments. If anyone/organisation is interested in acquiring in bulk and it is economically feasible to do so, I can arrange for it.

I may be contacted at chow@ckinternational.com.

Cheers.

Chow.
  4.    #4  
    When I bought my Treo, and was talking to my wife with the "original" headset, she told me that she couldn't hear me very well. I checked the signal and it was good, so I assumed that the headset's mike wasn't that great.

I talked to her again with this one and she said that it was a lot better. She actually said that she could hear me fine......which is pretty good for her.
    Originally posted by treomojo
    When I bought my Treo, and was talking to my wife with the "original" headset, she told me that she couldn't hear me very well. I checked the signal and it was good, so I assumed that the headset's mike wasn't that great.

I talked to her again with this one and she said that it was a lot better. She actually said that she could hear me fine......which is pretty good for her.
    I just got my silver one today and everyone that I've been talking to with it so far says that I'm coming through much clearer than with my previous Jabra boom mic or with the original treo headset. The compact size and winder are a huge plus. I like this thing so far!
    Great info - thanks for the review. I went to the website, but didn't see the Treo listed as an option on the list of phones. Which model did you buy?
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Ok, after testing this thing for a day, I'm almost for sure going to return it. The microphone doesn't pick up my voice loud enough. I've been testing this all day. People have a hard time hearing me loud enough. If I take the piece out of my ear and talk directly into it, my voice comes across great. Too bad I have to have it in my ear to converse.

Sad. I really wanted to like this headset.
  8.    #8  
    Sorry to hear about that.....Mine still works great. Even in a noisy room the caller hears me fine. Maybe you received a bad one?

It is definitely not perfect, but for me it works.

The question about which one to order......
    I think it was the standard 2.5, four pole...
    Originally posted by chuhsi
    Ok, after testing this thing for a day, I'm almost for sure going to return it. The microphone doesn't pick up my voice loud enough. I've been testing this all day. People have a hard time hearing me loud enough. If I take the piece out of my ear and talk directly into it, my voice comes across great. Too bad I have to have it in my ear to converse.

Sad. I really wanted to like this headset.
    I'm pretty sure they have a 30 day money-back guarantee...try asking them to send you a new one, and see if that one works better...?? Had mine for a few months, and it still works fine.
  10.    #10  
    The headset is now broken....well almost. I pull it to my ear this evening to answer a call and my wife could not hear me. I assumed it might have been the connection, so as soon as we hung up I phoned voicemail.

Crackling noise....not good.

I took the headset out and....TADA, crystal clear!

Great......Add another to the evergrowing pile of worthless headsets.

Back to the original headset....at least it still works