1.    #1  
    Now, I have always known that, while in the phone app, you can just start typing a name and it will narrow down on your choice. Here is something that I didn't know, and doesn't seem to be documented anywhere except the "Phone Tips" button in the dialer app: To get to your contact faster, all you have to type is the first initial and then start typing in the last name. For example, if you were looking for Bill Smith, you just need to type bsm...

This has cut my average number of keystrokes down in order to find a contact down to about two or three, in my address book with three hundred or so records. This is especially helpful if you, like me, have a lot of individuals with the same last name, like "Smith", where I would have to type smi and then start using the jog rocker switch.

May be old news to some of you, but I seem to learn something new every day about this device.
    it used to be (and i think still is) that there were 'easter eggs' buried in most major programs... looks like the easter bunny has been hanging around handspring.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Yeah waaaayyy old news But the best way to look up contacts. Handspring states this method first in most documentation that I have seen; user manual, interactive user guides etc.