Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Tom LaPrise
    After installing all the ePocrates files from your download, you have to HotSync again with your computer online so AutoUpdate can get a few more files from the ePocrates server. Dumb, yes, but that should get you the necessary files.
    That is odd.

Anyways, no dice. I tried that several times to no avail. I'm on Mac OS X if that makes a difference. The other computer I'm on is an NT box.

Whaddya think, add ePocrates to my NT box, or else try different software. Suggestions?

Tarascon also requires a PC.
    Tarascon also requires a PC.
    This isn't true. They offer a .zip download for anyone to use. Just download, unzip w/ Stuffit Expander and double click the files you want to install.

On the download page, right below the Palm logo there is a direct link that is labeled "zipped version (for non-windows users)"
    Originally posted by TreoOSX

This isn't true. They offer a .zip download for anyone to use. Just download, unzip w/ Stuffit Expander and double click the files you want to install.

On the download page, right below the Palm logo there is a direct link that is labeled "zipped version (for non-windows users)"
    Yeah I missed that. I've installed it thanks.

Much more compact, with only 3 files, as opposed to the bazillion separate files required with ePocrates.

It's slow and and I have some display issues (with lists), but it works.
    Just got an e-mail from ePoc--they claim to be coming out with a fully Mac compatible version of ePocPro in the spring (with all bells and whistles, including AutoUpdate). Time to buttonhole your favorite drug rep for a free subscription.
    Are you the source of this?
    In a previous story, ePocrates decided that they would not continute development of ePocrates RX Pro for the Mac. MacNN reader Harry Mueller has recently received an email from ePocrates stating "We are pleased to announce that in response to thousands of requests, we are currently developing ePocrates Rx Pro, our premium drug reference software, for the Mac." The release is expected this Spring.
    Good news, but I think they completely screwed up. They made something that takes no time to accomplish into a major problem.(producing a .zip download) Their product is for Palm OS, yet they focus entirely on Windows as if that's their OS. Instead of a good Palm product we still have a bloated product that can't be run from memory like the 5MCC and Tarascon and is somehow limited to only Windows users.
    Has anyone had problems with AutoUpDate? It never seems to work properly. I usually have to sync three or four times to get it to finish. It will get stuck on the 2nd or 3rd file of the 10 and then time out on the Treo side (I have DSL on the PC side).
    Before the latest change, I would download just the updated Epocrates files and sync them over from my linux box.

Zane
    I tried to install ePocrates the hard way using my Mac OS X laptop, using Virtual PC.

1) Remove the HotSync Transport Monitor from the auto login in OS X.
    2) Log out and log back in.
    3) Run Virtual PC 6.
    4) Install Palm Desktop on a Virtual PC.
    5) Install ePocrates on Virtual PC.
    6) etc.

It seemed to sync fine with the main server, but this bloatware still doesn't work. Said was incomplete even though it supposedly completed. I had the same probs as the poster above. Plus it screwed up my address book list mode icon and a reset wouldn't correct it.

So finally I just deleted everything associated with ePocrates - lots of files. Address book icon came back to normal.

It's likely not my (admittedly complicated) setup, since I just managed to install AvantGo in virtual PC with no problems whatsoever.
    I tried to Autoupdate this weekend and kept losing the connection to the epocrates server (I have a dsl connection). As a result, I cannot use epocrates. A partial update breaks the program. I have looked at the Tarascon product and also DrDrug from Skyscape. Both are larger than ePocrates. I would really like to stay with ePocrates if I could get it to work. ePocrates support says there are problems with the Treo300, but insists they are on the Palm Desktop/Treo300 side.
    Does anyone have a copy of ePocrates 4 or 5 they could email to me?
    Thanks.
    Zane
    zvan@sbcglobal.net
    I got an email from ePocrates support that suggested using Palm Desktop 4.1. I remember reading somewhere that Handspring did not recommend 4.1 with the Treo 300, but I thought what have I got to lose. It worked!

Zane
  10.    #30  
    Well, ****. My last AutoUpdate resulted in the drugs being all scrambled, so I had to re-install the "ePocrabloat" 6.0 .prc file. Good thing is that I could put it on my SD card and create a shortcut with LauncherX, so when I go from DocAlert back to the Drugs tab I don't get a Fatal Exception.

It's still an ugly user interface and I wish I could get rid of the useless (for the free version) Alt Meds and Tables tabs, but at least it works.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    ePocrates now recommends, with Handspring's official blessing, to use the Palm Desktop 4.1 with the Treo. I have a Treo 300 and have ceased to have any problems with installation, hotsync or AutoUpdate, once I dumped the Handpring desktop and installed the Palm desktop. Here is the link to down load the Palm Desktop 4.1.

http://www.palm.com/support/download...k41_legal.html

For more info please see the FAQ section of ePocrates help site.
    Originally posted by r_chuck
    ePocrates now recommends, with Handspring's official blessing, to use the Palm Desktop 4.1 with the Treo. I have a Treo 300 and have ceased to have any problems with installation, hotsync or AutoUpdate, once I dumped the Handpring desktop and installed the Palm desktop. Here is the link to down load the Palm Desktop 4.1.

http://www.palm.com/support/download...k41_legal.html

For more info please see the FAQ section of ePocrates help site.
    No Mac version?
    m00se
    FWIW, I just got an e-mail from ePocrates notifying me that they will be releasing the full ePocrates Pro version for the Mac soon (with full ID data and automatic updates). Once this occurs, they will phase out the free basic ePocrates for Mac package within about 30 days. Sort of good news, bad news. The Pro package is better and will be better supported, but will cost $$. One can anticipate that they will also try to kill the free basic Windows version, and get everyone on a paying basis (sure makes sense from a business standpoint).
  14.    #34  
    One can anticipate that they will also try to kill the free basic Windows version, and get everyone on a paying basis (sure makes sense from a business standpoint).

At which point I will free up a whole bunch of my Palm's RAM...
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Anyone try out the new official ePocrtates Pro for Mac yet?? Curious to see if it is working with Treos, and if it's worht the $$. I do miss the ID section and OTC drug section.
    One can anticipate that they will also try to kill the free basic Windows version, and get everyone on a paying basis (sure makes sense from a business standpoint).
    ARHHH... I hope that occurs more later than sooner! Anyways, for all those who have a pda with expansion, you can get an app called AvantageRx from Palmgear that can launch and autoupdate Qrx from an expansion card (SD,MS,CF). However, you still need an equivalent amount of Ram free to run the program... Thus its sorta like PowerRun...

P.S. Thanks Tom for the tip at the beginning of the thread!
    Easy install within OS X via an Installervise brand installer. Hotsyncing is flawless and seamless. It doesn't interfere with my other conduits like iSync or Dataviz software.

Be sure to configure epocrates server data with the Autoupdate app installed in the Applications folder. Much nicer than the XP edition. Though I'm having issues getting the epocrates ID for Mac download they sent a link for in the receipt.
    (Treo 90 and Missing Sync for OS X.)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12