1.    #1  
    I just started having this issue today and it nearly rendered my Treo worthless for anything but viewing information. Here is whats happening.

When I open the lid to do something, it seems like there is pressure put on the very top of the touchscreen. I have noticed this for some time. Usually when I shut the lid a menu tends to open. I just figured it was a design flaw, and it didn't really bug me that much. Well today it became much worse. When the lid is open and I am trying to type a memo, reply to e-mail, or whatever, it keeps popping the menu down as if i was tapping the top of the screen. Whats worse, is that it wont respond to the stylus for browsing the web when this is occuring.... Like it thinks I am holding the stylus down on the screen in two places. The solution? Shut the lid and browse with the jog dial (lame) or, using my thumb and pointer finger push up gently on the hinge (this makes it normal), or i can always browse the web holding the device upside down above my head....

Obviously none of these are going to work out for me, so I am going to send the little bugger back and try to get a unit without these problems. I have a couple questions for you fellow 300 users though.

1. Has anyone else had the screen open / menu pop down problem?
    2. Should I go about getting a replacement through handspring (I bought directly from them)? I don't think I should have to cash in my cell-phone insurance already and pay a deductible. This thing is less than a month old.
    3. If i do go through handspring, how do I avoid their "Go see sprint for 300 support" crap? Also, should I insist on NOT paying the $25 fee?

I'm gonna call them tommorow, just wanted to get some guidance from someone else whos gone through this experience.
    Originally posted by zbose
    1. Has anyone else had the screen open / menu pop down problem?
    2. Should I go about getting a replacement through handspring (I bought directly from them)? I don't think I should have to cash in my cell-phone insurance already and pay a deductible. This thing is less than a month old.
    3. If i do go through handspring, how do I avoid their "Go see sprint for 300 support" crap? Also, should I insist on NOT paying the $25 fee?

I'm gonna call them tommorow, just wanted to get some guidance from someone else whos gone through this experience.
    I've gotten three replacements of my Treo 180, none of them for this reason but... I've never paid the $25 fee. And I never asked not to, either, they just didn't charge me.

As for the menu issue, I did have that. I found that loosening the two screws on the top of the Treo just a little bit made this go away. You could give it a shot, anyway. It never got that bad for me, where it would just keep popping the menu up - only on lid close (or open, not really sure.)
  3.    #3  
    I had thought about loosening them. I will give it a try and see what happens since you say you had some success with that. It would sure beat sending it in for a replacement since other than this problem it has been perfect.

thanks!
  4.    #4  
    Well I just loosened them up and the problem with the menu popping up when the screen shut seems to have gone right away! I will test it for a day and see if the rest of the wierd stuff occurs. I have a feeling it won't.

Thankyou very much for the suggestion!

-zbose