Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Never did like that FlipLid much. Never used the window to monitor who was calling me either. Had to go!
    Thought of completely removing the lid but couldn't do without my speaker. Next best thing... Treo Half Flip Lid (HFL)

Some may hate it, but I love it. Looks less like a Palm and more like a phone (or a Trek device ).

Ergonomically improved
    Even smaller form
    Cut down arial
    Can answer a call without opening the flip (not really sure if it was possible before but it is now).
    Still offers some screen protection.

Now, if only I could incorporate a camera..........

Will post more pics of the hair-raising step-by-step process soon...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nzmoko; 12/17/2002 at 02:38 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Another pic...
  3.    #3  
    Another...
  4.    #4  
    Oooops
  5.    #5  
    No turning back now...

Notice the magnet to the left of the speaker. This is the 'switch' for the fliplid. I guess the other magnet is somewhere under the letter 'D' on the keyboard.

Removed it as no longer needed.
  6.    #6  
    Steady hand needed...

Made all cuts with a Proxxon cutting saw. Wanted it straight and smooth.

Six holes were drilled in the side of the earpiece housing and steel pins bonded in to give strength.
    Really IMPRESSIVE.
    Could you post more info about disassembling the lid?
    I like it a lot!
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by kayac
    Really IMPRESSIVE.
    Could you post more info about disassembling the lid?
    I like it a lot!
    This was tricky as I didn't want to damage any parts because most were going to be reused.

You will notice a flat plate on the inside of the lid. This is thermally bonded and very difficult to remove. I used a high speed modelling saw to cut around the edge. I then heated the whole lid on a radiator to soften the plastic so it wouldn't break. Starting at the front, I gently lifted the edge and avoiding the speaker and the speaker wire, worked a jewellers screwdriver around the edge.

This was really the most time consuming.
    This might be a great idea for a future phone, actually! Cover the screen but not the keyboard. That way you can use it as a data device without having to open it up. Hm...... Got a patent?
    Nice bit of surgery doc.

What about the antenna? What specifically have you done, and what degradation in signal strength have you found, if any?
    I found the pictures really hard to view, so I brightened them up. Hope you don't mind, you can view all six here:

treo_hfl_closed2
    treo_hfl_cut2
    treo_hfl_ooops2
    treo_hfl_open2
    treo_hfl_side1
    treo_hfl_speaker2

Excellent Job!!! I guess your warranty was already up? What are you going to do once your speaker dies
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Snoring Dog
    Nice bit of surgery doc.

What about the antenna? What specifically have you done, and what degradation in signal strength have you found, if any?
    Basically cut the black plastic shield off, which reveals a steel nub (this is about one third the size of the complete antenna).

Coated the nub in wire insulation - the stuff you put on, heat and it shrinks tight.

Bonded the original black plastic cap on the top of the nub.

Walked around the house and could see no marked difference in signal strength... this could change when I get to more remote areas.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Appleman
    I found the pictures really hard to view, so I brightened them up. Hope you don't mind, you can view all six here:

Excellent Job!!! I guess your warranty was already up? What are you going to do once your speaker dies
    Hey Appleman
    Nice job. Thanks a heap
    I was never much of a photographer - even with these so-called, *****-proof cameras.

Yep, warranty is dead. I have managed to source a couple of speakers that look identical to the one currently in Treo. Tested one and it works a treat. So got a couple of spares...

I actually wonder if the powerful (for its size) magnet switch, affects the speaker, which is also magnetic? I could swear there is more clarity since I removed the magnet.

Well, looking for another speaker but long and flat then I can remove the lid completely and I believe there is enough space where the hinge is to incorporate this new speaker.
    Let you know how I get on.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    This might be a great idea for a future phone, actually! Cover the screen but not the keyboard. That way you can use it as a data device without having to open it up. Hm...... Got a patent?
    Yeah, the only purpose the lid serves now is to house the speaker. It no longer powers the unit on/off so it is nice to start Treo to download email, close the lid and just forget it
    Now it is really ugly!
    But it may be actually an advantage - as noone would like to steal it.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by mieczotronix
    Now it is really ugly!
    But it may be actually an advantage - as noone would like to steal it.
    Hehe. Cool.
    It was ugly before but yeah, you are probably right. It is very functional though.

I've drilled a small hole where 'Flip' is so now I can close the lid, have my conversation and not look like Captain Kirk or worse, look like I'm about to apply makeup (yep, I close the lid for speakerphone use too).

I like the smaller form. When I used to open the old lid, Treo suddenly got twice as big.
    Last edited by nzmoko; 12/19/2002 at 10:18 AM.
    Actually, I would prefer leaving the clear part and replace the speaker, to gain both:
    1. Screen protection.
    2. Calling with the lid closed.

BTW - What activates the call answering in the lid - is it the magnet ?
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by halperin
    Actually, I would prefer leaving the clear part and replace the speaker, to gain both:
    1. Screen protection.

I do see your point. When closed the Half Flip Lid actually covers half of the screen so it is quite difficult get in there to damage it.

Yes, it is a magnetic switch.
    There is a magnet in the lid. The other magnet is under the letter 'D' on the keyboard. Having removed the magnet in the lid, I no longer have the 'problem' of answering a call when the lid is opened.

One thing. The magnet in the lid is very strong and I wonder if it messed with the magnet in the speaker because I swear Treo is a lot more clear for normal listening and speakerphone use.

Treo HFL is still going strong and I love it. I'm totally sold
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by halperin
    1. Screen protection.

I do see your point. When closed the Half Flip Lid actually covers half of the screen so it is quite difficult get in there to damage it.

Yes, it is a magnetic switch.
    There is a magnet in the lid. The other magnet is under the letter 'D' on the keyboard. Having removed the magnet in the lid, I no longer have the 'problem' of answering a call when the lid is opened.

One thing. The magnet in the lid is very strong and I wonder if it messed with the magnet in the speaker because I swear Treo is a lot more clear for normal listening and speakerphone use.

Treo HFL is going strong and I love it. I'm totally sold
    hey, wanna do some more? i'd prefer one like that as i look a plonk with the phone as it is!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast