Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by bluecube
    hey, wanna do some more? i'd prefer one like that as i look a plonk with the phone as it is!
    hehe, yeah. No doubt, I felt like a plonker too (beam me up Scotty).
    HFL is going strong.
    Taking the knocks really well; had a few slams snowboarding in La Clusaz over the weekend - smashed my sunglasses to buggery but HFL emerged unscathed, albeit screen refresh is veeerrry slooow in -10 degrees

Actually working on a 'backlit' 180 keyboard.....
    Hey, Nzmoko,

You actually inspired me and instead sending back my dead-speaker Treo back to HS I'm just gonna take the matter in my own hands and repair it myself with the HFL modifications.

Any advice on how to re-wire the connections from the mainboard to the lid through the hinge ?

thanks
    regards
    Bo.
    Tell me... have you or anyone else thought of using a small speaker from a cell phone to assist in replacing the lid altogether? Say... maybe one from a Nokia 8290 or something similar. I agree that there must be a speaker small enough that could fit in the hinge area.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    wow, that sounds ideal, keep me posted! (if you ever feel the urge to sell one of these, u know u have a customer... )
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by borisbob
    Hey, Nzmoko,

Any advice on how to re-wire the connections from the mainboard to the lid through the hinge ?
    Hey Bo

See my post in this thread on how to remove the inside lid facia - this is the tricky part.

To re-wire the speaker is pretty easy.

If any of the broken wire is showing (ie. it hasn't broken in the hinge), simply solder the new wire to the old and carefully drag the new wire through. When it's through, cut away the old wire.

If the wire is broken inside the hinge, I'm afraid it's a slow thread through job but I've done it and it's not too difficult. Solder a piece of single strand wire (with no insulation) to the good wire and thread away. The smooth piece of wire makes it a lot easier.

Good luck
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by riverbruce
    Tell me... have you or anyone else thought of using a small speaker from a cell phone to assist in replacing the lid altogether? Say... maybe one from a Nokia 8290 or something similar. I agree that there must be a speaker small enough that could fit in the hinge area.
    Hi there Riverbruce
    I sourced various speakers with a view to totally removing the lid - some were ok, some terrible.
    The trick is to get one with a big enough diaphragm so as not to compromise the speakerphone (if you wish to keep this functionality). If you don't use the speakerphone, yes, a mobile phone speaker would work.

There was a guy who posted that he had completely removed his lid and fitted a speaker but I think his speakerphone was pretty crackly.
    Nzmoko,

thanks a bunch for the advice.

I took the plunge and did it !

See the other thread "Dea Speaker Fix!!!"

Actually for me the lid face removal and threading the wire through the hinge were really easy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12