View Poll Results: Do you use your Treo to get e-mail or as a Wireless Modem for your Laptop on a Plane?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never. How dare you even think of doing so.

    15 33.33%
  • Well, I thought about it once, but didn\'t have the guts.

    2 4.44%
  • I tried once, couldn\'t get any signal strength

    16 35.56%
  • At low altitudes, like when landing, I usually collect my e-mail

    8 17.78%
  • Dude, Like I surf all the time - even at 20,00 feet

    4 8.89%
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I wonder if I am the only one?

    I know it's a no-no... But it it really a danger to the plane?

    I mean - really now. What are the facts?
  2. #2  
    I've read this topic before. Someone who's an airline pilot had a little info. I'll do a search myself after posting this.


    OK, found it:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ighlight=plane

    IMHO, let the regulators or third party agencies do the studies they're supposed to do so we have concrete guidelines to follow.
    Last edited by ChemEngr; 12/16/2002 at 11:51 AM.
  3. #3  
    Topic: Do you use your Treo on the Plane?

    do you use your treo in the rain?

    Do you use your treo here or there?

    Do you use it everywhere?
  4. #4  
    I of course use my treo on the plane a lot, but with wireless off.

    There was a story recently about a Southwest flight that couldn't land, and the pilot had the flight attendants search for operating cell phones, found two, and then the instuments started working right after these phones were shut off. The same story, though, said that there isn't any concrete evidence of a problem from cell phones.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by Preston
    I of course use my treo on the plane a lot, but with wireless off.

    There was a story recently about a Southwest flight that couldn't land, and the pilot had the flight attendants search for operating cell phones, found two, and then the instuments started working right after these phones were shut off. The same story, though, said that there isn't any concrete evidence of a problem from cell phones.
    I don't believe that story for a minute!
  6. #6  
    While the regulation on phone use started out as an FCC regulation (to stop confusing the cell sites with super fast handoffs), it has become an FAA requirement too. In my experience of radios over the years, CB, HAM and now GSM/CDMA, I would say that the possibility of interference with the systems of the aircraft are pretty high. You have both CPU and the radio transceiver transmitting radio waves. While the wattage is small you have no idea unless you are an aircraft engineer of knowing what subsystems or cabling controls of the plane surround you. I suggest caution in this matter. Why risk the lives of those around you for the sake of some petty communication that can wait until you land.

    On a lighter note, I wonder do pilots ever do it themselves as they have no eyes watching them?

    Beware of TreoTools auto turn on for wirelessmode following a reset. This happened to me on a flight and I had to turn it off very rapidly and was pretty embarrassed even though I did not get caught.
  7. #7  
    These days, cell phone radio interference is a load of crap.

    They simply would rather you pay a boat load of $ on the airphones in the seats because this is extremely lucrative for the airlines.

    Imagine if those folks in the WTC crashes were *not* able to get calls to loved ones. And please dont tell me that the phones were what caused the crashes!

    It's true that there was a time when cell phones could have possibly generated interference in the early days of analog phones. Those bands have been thoroughly cordoned off by the FCC.

    Do you really think that they'd allow the same bands to be used for todays cell phones once they knew what was going on?

    They just would rather play it safe since there's no way to police who is using which phones. However if your phone is less than 10 years old this could never be an issue.

    That being said we're back to revenues. Kindly use our airphones @ 3.99 a minute. Insert a major credit card here.

    What a scam.
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by derek985
    They simply would rather you pay a boat load of $ on the airphones in the seats because this is extremely lucrative for the airlines.
    I'm not so sure about that. On my recent American Airlines flights to and from Hawaii (a 767-300 and a 757), there were stickers on all the airphones saying they were no longer functional. I asked a flight attendant why this was and they said it was due to budgetary reasons -- that not enough people used them to justify the cost (indeed I've never seen anyone use one, though I don't fly very often).

    Really sucks that in hijacking or other emergency situations that these phones are no longer available...
  9. #9  
    For what its worth?

    I had a West Virginia Air National Guard helicopter pilot tell me last May that cell phones wouldn't interfere with a plane in flight. In fact, he told me he made cell calls from his private owned helicopter at times.

    Plus, this past July 4 holiday, I somehow had my Samsung N200 turn on somehow (or I left it on by mistake) in flight and we landed just fine at Laguardia NYC. Reason I know was that my phone was ringing with SMS messages as we taxied down the runway towards the terminal.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    I suggest caution in this matter. Why risk the lives of those around you for the sake of some petty communication that can wait until you land.

    On a lighter note, I wonder do pilots ever do it themselves as they have no eyes watching them?

    Beware of TreoTools auto turn on for wirelessmode following a reset. This happened to me on a flight and I had to turn it off very rapidly and was pretty embarrassed even though I did not get caught.
    I am a pilot and hold a degree in electronic engineering and I can tell you that your cell phone cannot interfere with our instruments. On the other hand, older Nextel phones can cause interference in the seats around you if you have it near the armrest headset area.
  11. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #11  
    I can't say if cell phones interfere with planes or not, but I will tell you that the Treo 270 works to about 5000 feet altitude, and that a portable gps works all the time. I have used GPS to track planes in flight across the US, to Hawaii and Europe. My Treo lost signal above 5000 feet, which makes sense,since the gsm towers probably don't transmit much of a signal straiht up. I don't condone using a Treo in flight, but it is nice to know that if one really needed to contact someone, one could.

Posting Permissions