1.    #1  
    Tried to find someone who has written on this but could not, your help would be greatly appreciated. Today my Treo 300's battery died, and when I plugged it into the recharger it did a hard reset and I lost all my data (I had hotsyhced 2 days earlier thankfully). Is it supposed to do this? Is there any way to avoid this in the future?
    Originally posted by rvach
    Tried to find someone who has written on this but could not, your help would be greatly appreciated. Today my Treo 300's battery died, and when I plugged it into the recharger it did a hard reset and I lost all my data (I had hotsyhced 2 days earlier thankfully). Is it supposed to do this? Is there any way to avoid this in the future?
    Unfortunately, yes, it is supposed to wipe all the data. The Treo (as well as other Palm OS devices) have battery backed up RAM which means when the battery dies, so does all the data.

The best way to prevent this from happening is to make sure the battery never completely dies. The Treo will warn you when the battery is low and will turn off the radio. If you charge it every night, you should be fine. If I travel, I take my charger and then I can charge. Also, the car charger is quite useful.
    I too have had this happen with me with other Palm units. It also goes to show how important it is to do a Hot-Sync which makes this loss of data less important. A mere additional Hot-Sync will recover your data back to the last date of Hot-Sync. It actually works.

Another suggestion would be to do as I did by purchasing a small battery case adaptor which holds 4 AA batteries. When your Treo gets low on battery merely plug this device like you would your Hot-Sync cable and let it charge your Treo up for you. I am told a new set of 4 AA batteries has enough charge to re-charge your Treo 4 to 5 times. I personally use 1850 mah rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydrite batteries. It means recharging them too but it is a wonderful portable source of recharging. Search this site for it because that is how I discovered this gem of an idea.

Good luck
    Rees
    I have found that this only happens when you force the battery down by using the wireless connection ie Talking on the phone or loggin into the internet.

If the phone powers down when not using the wireless ocnnection your data will be saved for three days.

When it says "battery EXTREMELY low." Shut it off. Don't talk on the phone anymore. Your data should be safe if you recharge soon.
    Now you tell me, LOLOL. Unfortunately I had not hotsyced for over a week...Ack!!!
    i am at an out of town meeting and last night while showing off my treo to another attendee, it did something, no idea what, that would only recover with a hard reset, same as battery drain.

fortunately, i had intentionaly transferred everything to laptop and synced just that morning in case of 'worst case scenario'. 5 minutes of hotsyncing and i was right back where i started.

WHEW!!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.