Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Hi.
    I just got SMS working on my Treo (i.e., installed and activated Treo300SMS) and now I have questions:

1) What do you folks use SMS for? Seems like a bit of a hassle to provide folks yet another address for e-mailing us.... I'm sure I'm missing something, but not sure what. I don't tend to have folks trying to get to me ASAP very often via e-mail. If it's important, folks call. SMS seems cool, but logistically, giving out another messaging/contact media seems onerous for the sender of the message. Ya know what I mean? Perhaps it's cuz my friends/family are not tech folks....

2) Just to confirm, with unlimited Vision, we don't have to pay for each SMS incoming or outgoing message?

3) If there a simple (non-coding) way of forwarding e-mails to SMS so I can get an alert when I have e-mail? I have seen other posts on this, but they require scripts and such and I've no idea how to set that up with my Comcast e-mail using Outlook as my e-mail application...

Thanks in advance.

-Michael
    Last edited by msgott; 12/14/2002 at 08:43 AM.
    To answer question #1, SMS is Short Message Service. it allows sending of text messages using just your phone #. It won't matter if you're sending from Sprint to AT&T or T-Mobile, all you need to know is the recipient's phone # to send the message to. I was using it last nite to send messages while I was in a movie theater to my brother who was trying to look for us there. It's useful in classes & meetings too. See www.sms.ac for more info. also see www.pdaapps.com and look for treo300sms for the sms app for sprint treos.
    1) people use SMS similiar to the way they use IM. They just want send a quick note. Sometimes calling is incovient or just too much bagagge.
    Sample SMS: Hey Jim remeber to bring the chili when watch the game tonight

I don't know what Jim is doing, if he can answer the phone and honestly I don't feel like calling him. I just want chili

Also, SMS is usually easier to remember because its just your phone number

2) forgot the question (I am on the mobile site via Treo

3) go to Sprint site under mail prefs choose SMS notifaction

This is assuming you are using the sprint mail. If not I know some sites like yahoo give you automatic pager (SMS) notification. For corporate or other ISP mail you would have to ask someone in sys admin.
    Yeah sprint SMS via Treo300SMS is free.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    i am not sure i follow re. just using the phone number.... doesn't the person senging the number need the @messaging.sprintpcs.com too? it is not possible to send a sms with a regular phone, right .... only via email or a mobile equipped to do sms?.
    msgott:

A regular telephone (like you have at home) will not send SMS. SMS is for messaging from one cell phone to another. If your wife has a cell phone and wants to send a message to your cell phone she can type in your number and off it goes and it pops up on your screen. It is cool. It does not ring and you do not have to answer it. (of course, this is assuming your wife's cell phone does text messaging. Most do.)

If however, your wife is at home and you are in a meeting and she wants to send you an SMS messge she can use the xxx-xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com to send it to your cell phone from the home computer email. This is handy if you are not able to answer the phone yet she needs to get your attention.

You can carry your phone with you and turn the ringer off so it does not beep. This is especially handy in meetings/church/etc.

Hope this helps.
    Originally posted by Llynx
    msgott:

A regular telephone (like you have at home) will not send SMS. SMS is for messaging from one cell phone to another. If your wife has a cell phone and wants to send a message to your cell phone she can type in your number and off it goes and it pops up on your screen. It is cool. It does not ring and you do not have to answer it. (of course, this is assuming your wife's cell phone does text messaging. Most do.)

If however, your wife is at home and you are in a meeting and she wants to send you an SMS messge she can use the xxx-xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com to send it to your cell phone from the home computer email. This is handy if you are not able to answer the phone yet she needs to get your attention.

You can carry your phone with you and turn the ringer off so it does not beep. This is especially handy in meetings/church/etc.

Hope this helps.
    Or, she can just go here and send you an SMS directly.