1.    #1  
    Anyone know of an app that will force hotsync to sync using the default selected user rather than simply time out if no user is selected?

I have had to hard-reset my treo often recently after trying out a bunch of apps that may be incompatible. I am not always near my pc, and may need to do a wireless sync, but after a HR, the user name is removed from the palm. When it connects to my pc, the user choice box appears on my pc and either waits for a user to be chosen (which I obviously can't do since I'm not near my pc) or it times out and closes the connection.

I would appreciate any help u guys could offer

Thanx!
    Even if you could do that would it be wise to leave your data wide open like that?
    David
  3.    #3  
    I can see how that might be an issue, but even a sync manager that prompted a user id to be entered by the user from the palm device at the time of syncing would be nice to have.

The only other option I can really think of to keep security in tact is setting the userid on the palm prior to hotsync, which unless im mistaken, can't be done with the basic preinstalled apps that re-appear after a hard reset
    this is definately an issue

i wonder if you could create a macro to do this on the desktop
    Fortunately, re-provisioning isn't necessary after a hard-reset, so Internet access is still possible. However, is it possible to download and install a .PRC file from the 'net? If so, then it would be possible to install ChangeName and then change the user name AND number to match what it was previously. Running the Win32 executable that comes with ChangeName will tell you your user number. www.mulliner.org/palm/changename.php

Yes, it is possible to install from the 'net with 3rd party tools, but we can't expect those to be on the Treo after a hard reset.

However, the Treo has Flash ROM and JackFlash has recently added support for the 300. It may be worth the $19.95 to be able to put the 9KB ChangeName into flash so that it is always available. www.brayder.com/products/jackflash.html
    Originally posted by Lucky_One
    However, the Treo has Flash ROM and JackFlash has recently added support for the 300. It may be worth the $19.95 to be able to put the 9KB ChangeName into flash so that it is always available. www.brayder.com/products/jackflash.html
    Hey, I just tried JackFlash, and it looks as though the 'demo' is actually JackFlash Lite which 'seems' to be freeware, but don't quote me on that. The lite version only allows you to access up to 64K of Flash but that is enough for ChangeName. I moved it in there with what seemed to be no problem. Please forgive me for NOT doing a hard reset to test it. ; )
  7.    #7  
    found a way...

I remembered a free app I used to use back in the dial-up age called DUNCE

the app is actually a dial up connection bypass util that sits in the sys tray, but it also has the ability to be set to auto-bypass dialog boxes as well. All you need to do is put in the dialog window title (Users) and the button you want pressed (OK) and anytime the app comes up it will press the button for you and start the sync

obviously this raises security issues as stated before, so anyone with sensitive material on their palm will obviously want to stay away from this option.
    Like i said macro

lol

ahhhh this sucks dunce only works in 95 im on xp

have to find somethin else

i like this better than flashing my rom

now if we can figure out how to fix the domain resolution in hotsync client for palm we would be set
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/16/2002 at 05:09 PM.
    Originally posted by backwerd
    ahhhh this sucks dunce only works in 95 im on xp

have to find somethin else

i like this better than flashing my rom
    There are several automatic button pushers out there. I used to use one simply called PTFB. The first two and last letter stand for "Push The Button".

Flashing the ROM isn't that scary, it only uses a piece of the ROM. You don't have to flash the entire thing to put a couple of files in there. I was pleased to find out that there is nearly 1MB of available space in ROM on my 300. That is an additional 6% of storage.

Being able to write to flash was something that I seriously missed in the Visors. Having a DOC file of important information tucked safely into flash can be a lifesaver, not too mention that important app, or two.
    Also nice would be a gizmo that has an ir port and 16 megs ram, and a program to go on a 300 whereby one could backup the whole device via ir to the gizmo, and in the event of a hard reset on the road, push a button on the gizmo with a paper clip and have it automatically restore everything via ir back on the 300. If it were $30, that would give road warriors some peace of mind.
    David