1.    #1  
    I signed up for the Vision plan a little over a month ago when I got my Treo 300, and I've been very happy with it. However, when I've looked at my account online over the past month, I've noticed under the minutes used something called "Casual Use PCS Wireless Web Minutes", and it showed a continually increasing number of minutes used, and that none of these minutes are included in my plan. The first couple of customer reps I spoke with couldn't tell me what they were, but finally last night I spoke to one who enlightened me somewhat to what may be going on. To my horror he informed me that every one of these minutes was being billed to my account at the rate of 39 cents a minute, and that since signing up for the Vision plan I racked up charges of approximately $99 for 255 minutes. That was quite a shock, but the good news was that he credited my account for this amount since I'm not supposed to be able to access the wireless web through dial up, nor can I even purchase the $5/months plan for unlimited wireless web minutes. Nevertheless, the Treo phone can do both. Of course, I don't even want to use wireless web minutes, especially since they are charged at the rate of 39 cents per minute. Anyway, the Vision plan lets me browse the web all I want, and it's all free minutes --- at least for the first 3 months.
    It appears that these "Casual Use PCS Wireless Web Minutes" minutes are being used when I use the application AOL for Palm OS", which allows me to send and receive email from my AOL account. The rep and I couldn't be absolutely sure that this was where these wireless web minutes were coming from, but we strongly suspect that this AOL program is the culprit. Surprisingly enough, calls to this AOL number do not show up on the call history log, which seems strange in itself; that makes it difficult to check whether the minutes they are charging me are due to using AOL for Palm OS. I can't think of what else could be causing these minutes to accrue. Could it be that feature in Voice Command where you dial *, then tell it to "Call the Web"? Another rep I spoke to several weeks ago assured me that using this feature wouldn't even use my anytime or off peak minutes, but would be covered by the Vision Plans unlimited minutes. I'm starting to doubt that the more I think of it. It sure would be nice if they could tell me how I'm using these very costly minutes. The only advice this guy could give me was to stop using AOL for Palm OS. The problem with that is that I really like being able to send and recieve email with my Treo. Maybe there's a way to access this email account through the Vision plan and Blazer. Previous attempts to access the AOL web site would not let me sign on to get my mail.
    I'm sorry this is such a long post, but maybe others are unwittingly racking up minutes the way I have been, and someone may have the answer to correct this screwy situation. You would hope that Sprint would, but who knows when or if they will ever get around to it. Thanks for your time. Ken
    Make sure that they do more than give you a credit or it will continue to happen. They need to correct your account setup in their billing system in order to not recieve future charges. It took me two or three calls before I got mine straightened out. Finally, they turned in a trouble ticket and a few days later it was fixed.
    Ken,
    Are you dialing an access number to get to AOL? If you are, that might be why the minutes are getting billed as wireless web. When I start Blazer or Eudora email, the data connection is direct through Sprint. I don't dial a phone number to connect.

Zane
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by zvandiver
    Ken,
    Are you dialing an access number to get to AOL? If you are, that might be why the minutes are getting billed as wireless web. When I start Blazer or Eudora email, the data connection is direct through Sprint. I don't dial a phone number to connect.

Zane
    Hi Zane,
    Yes, I am dialing an access number, and I think you're right about the minutes getting billed. I'm using AOL 2 for Palm OS. I read somewhere that the newer version AOL 3 doesn't require a dial up number.
    When I use Blazer, I am not able to sign onto my AOL account like I can with my desktop computer. Are you able to connect to your AOL account through Blazer? Thanks, Ken
    Ken

I have been using my Treo 300 since October. I religiously check e-mail everyday using the AOL 3.0 version. I do not have to dial up to access AOL. As soon as I "sign on," I am connected via the Sprint Vision network. I have received two Sprint bills and there is nothing out of the ordinary in terms of minutes being used by the AOL "log in." Spend the $19.95 and get the AOL 3.0. It works great.
    J.S. Giron
    Originally posted by Ken Haynes

Hi Zane,
    Yes, I am dialing an access number, and I think you're right about the minutes getting billed. I'm using AOL 2 for Palm OS. I read somewhere that the newer version AOL 3 doesn't require a dial up number.
    When I use Blazer, I am not able to sign onto my AOL account like I can with my desktop computer. Are you able to connect to your AOL account through Blazer? Thanks, Ken
    Ken,
    Check your AOL mail! Merry X-mas

Greg
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the information. I installed AOL 3.0 and I believe it's solved my problem, since I no longer have to dial up to to access AOL mail. When I sign on I select "Another ISP" for the location and it connects.

I received the following email from millerhifi informing me that AOL 3.0 would solve my problem:

"AOL 3.0 will absolutely take care of the problem that you are experiencing. I've tried to explain in this several posts at Treo Central is that one of the greatest benefit of 3.0 is that you can connect to AOL via "another ISP", in your case Sprint Vision.
    I had the same problem as you with Cingular and AOL 2.0 as the only way to connect to AOL was via a dial up number to access AOL and Cingular see's it as a data call and charged me .39 cents per min everytime I connected to AOL."

Thanks to everyone for the outstanding help, Ken
  8. afr
    Update on this...My wife and I share a Sprint plan. We pay extra so we can roam when we like. We have a lot of minutes on our plan. We both have pda phones (mine is a Treo 600, hers the Samsung i-500) so we have unlimited Vision services. Lately we have moved to a rent house in the Texas Hill Country while building our permanent house. We have started getting very high bills (the last one was $300+ higher than our plan's monthly cost) showing "roaming web browsing". These roaming charges are billed in one minute increments, sometimes (a lot of times) in the middle of the night when no one is up or using the phone. Sprint has credited me several hundreds of dollars for the past two months, but each time I talk to them it is a several hours ordeal to convince them 1. I'm not using the phone as a modem, or 2. that neither phone can browse the web while roaming.

One technician told me that it appears that we are browsing the web from "the other side of the world" (his words). All of the roaming charges are linked to a phone number that is 000-000-0777 in Kerrville, Texas.

Is anyone else having such problems with "mystery" calls from their pda phones on Sprint?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I have posted this few times...but I think it will help:

Retention - Negotiate a better plan / price to stay with Sprint PCS
    866-207-7913

Customer Service - Straight to Rep.
    800-658-7564
    877-822-7505

Executive Services - For when things get really messed up
    866-519-5698
    888-347-8988
    817-215-3070

This numbers can get you BIG results. They are corporate employees and are very knowledgable unlike their call center.

Ciao
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!