1.    #1  
    Friday, December 13, 2002
    Sprint's unlimited data service has a catch
    Category: Cellphones
    Rich Brome of PhoneScoop on what they don't tell you when you sign up for Sprint's new "all-you-can-eat" data service:

Sprint has a weird policy on the "unlimited" 1xRTT data. They recently made it unlimited, to simplify pricing and drive adoption of new advanced phones (Java, cameras, etc.). But they intend the unlimited deal for phone use only - not laptops or PDAs, which obviously consume more data bandwidth.

But because they are now using WAP 2.0, (which eliminates gateways and makes phone browsers full clients with IP addresses,) they apparently have no way of knowing whether you are browsing from your phone, or are using a cable connected to your laptop. So of course customers are taking advantage and using $10 unlimited data on their laptops.

Sprint's solution? Stop selling the data cables, and if they detect "abusive" bandwidth usage, they reserve the right to terminate your data service permanently.

If you want data for your laptop or PDA, you're supposed to buy a PC Card, or the new Yiso compact flash card - and then because they know your ESN (electronic serial number) is associated with a data device, they can force you to use a data-only plan, which is $100/month for unlimited data.
    #

Does this affect you 300 owners? If so, I'm happy I got a 270
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Originally posted by christo1970
    Rich Brome of PhoneScoop on what they don't tell you when you sign up for Sprint's new "all-you-can-eat" data service:

Sprint has a weird policy on the "unlimited" 1xRTT data. They recently made it unlimited, to simplify pricing and drive adoption of new advanced phones (Java, cameras, etc.). But they intend the unlimited deal for phone use only - not laptops or PDAs, which obviously consume more data bandwidth.

But because they are now using WAP 2.0, (which eliminates gateways and makes phone browsers full clients with IP addresses,) they apparently have no way of knowing whether you are browsing from your phone, or are using a cable connected to your laptop. So of course customers are taking advantage and using $10 unlimited data on their laptops.

Sprint's solution? Stop selling the data cables, and if they detect "abusive" bandwidth usage, they reserve the right to terminate your data service permanently.

If you want data for your laptop or PDA, you're supposed to buy a PC Card, or the new Yiso compact flash card - and then because they know your ESN (electronic serial number) is associated with a data device, they can force you to use a data-only plan, which is $100/month for unlimited data.
    #

This has been the subject of many previous discussions. No, it does not affect me and yes I own the Treo300
    Originally posted by christo1970

#

nope
    not yet anyways

but this info you are saying is nothting new
    if they do actually track data usage, then i have a hard time imagining a way OTHER than using the treo as a modem that would set off their alarms.

if you leave the treo web connection on all the time, and were to sit there hooked up to aol instant messenger or something, you could not send back and forth messages that would amount to a hill of beans.

even surfing the web, with the WAP pages, does not involve huge amounts of data. at least not compared to what one might do with attachments and so forth with the treo hooked to a laptop for extended periods. let's face it, that was not the idea of the treo, at least not with that pricing plan.

i guess we have to wait and see.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    if they do actually track data usage, then i have a hard time imagining a way OTHER than using the treo as a modem that would set off their alarms.

if you leave the treo web connection on all the time, and were to sit there hooked up to aol instant messenger or something, you could not send back and forth messages that would amount to a hill of beans.

even surfing the web, with the WAP pages, does not involve huge amounts of data. at least not compared to what one might do with attachments and so forth with the treo hooked to a laptop for extended periods. let's face it, that was not the idea of the treo, at least not with that pricing plan.

i guess we have to wait and see.
    With the 270, what kind of data plan did you get? Is it unlimited services similiar to sprint?
    of course, it would be nice if the data connection would STAY on, as it used to when I first got the Treo <end rant>.
    Seriously though, I firmly believe that the recent data issues are caused by Sprint. Certainly not in a malicious sense, but as a by-product of trying to tweak the network, and, probably, trying to deal with the PC card stuff as mentioned above.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    of course, it would be nice if the data connection would STAY on, as it used to when I first got the Treo <end rant>.
    Perhaps the MSFT data center service pack 1 brought with it a bug whereby every time a new sprint user is provisioned, it issues windows product activation on the sprint servers whereby sprint must call MSFT to get a new 25 digit key to continue using the data center.
    David
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    bro, could you say that in english, please.